Update!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update!

First off, Happy Thanksgiving everyone...I havent been on here much at all in the last year or so, since my surgery was cancelled in St. Louis last September. In the mean time, Ive been working quite a bit, and trying not to think about that as much as possible. Of course my pain level has continued to progress, and Ive been feeling like my curves have been progressing as well. So I looked up a couple surgeons a bit closer to home, and took a trip yesterday to see Dr. Michael Rohmiller in Cincinnati. They looked me over, took an xray, and wanted to know exactly what happened in St. Louis. He seemed flabbergasted after I told him what went down out there last year. He obviously has alot of respect for those doctors in St Louis, like Im sure alot of others do too. Dr Rohmiller said he isnt the guy to perform my operation, and Dr Bridwell would be one of his first choices. To make this story a little shorter, he said he's going to help me get in to see Dr. Boachie in NYC. Said if anyones going to do it, it'll be him. I know quite of few of you guys have seen him, and had him perform the fusion surgery on you...What can you all tell me about him? From what I can gather, he has all the credentials and experience, and really looks like he knows what he is doing...

Oh, also, Dr Rohmiller measured my thoracic curve at 80 degrees, and lumbar at 50...just over a year ago Dr Bridwell said they both were 66 degrees...is it normal to see that much discrepency, or do you think it progressed that much? And what about the lumbar curve going from 66 to 50?
    Last edited by osumike; 11-24-2011, 01:35 PM.
    Pre-surgery- 80°+ thoracic/ 60°+ lumbar
    Still unsure of post-op numbers
    37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
    Scoli pics

Originally posted by osumike View Post
    First off, Happy Thanksgiving everyone...I havent been on here much at all in the last year or so, since my surgery was cancelled in St. Louis last September. In the mean time, Ive been working quite a bit, and trying not to think about that as much as possible. Of course my pain level has continued to progress, and Ive been feeling like my curves have been progressing as well. So I looked up a couple surgeons a bit closer to home, and took a trip yesterday to see Dr. Michael Rohmiller in Cincinnati. They looked me over, took an xray, and wanted to know exactly what happened in St. Louis. He seemed flabbergasted after I told him what went down out there last year. He obviously has alot of respect for those doctors in St Louis, like Im sure alot of others do too. Dr Rohmiller said he isnt the guy to perform my operation, and Dr Bridwell would be one of his first choices. To make this story a little shorter, he said he's going to help me get in to see Dr. Boachie in NYC. Said if anyones going to do it, it'll be him. I know quite of few of you guys have seen him, and had him perform the fusion surgery on you...What can you all tell me about him? From what I can gather, he has all the credentials and experience, and really looks like he knows what he is doing...

Oh, also, Dr Rohmiller measured my thoracic curve at 80 degrees, and lumbar at 50...just over a year ago Dr Bridwell said they both were 66 degrees...is it normal to see that much discrepency, or do you think it progressed that much? And what about the lumbar curve going from 66 to 50?
    Hi Mike...

Good to hear from you. Happy Thanksgiving!

I suspect that there probably isn't as much of difference in X-rays as Dr. Rohmiller thinks. Instead, I bet they did something like used different vertebrae as end points. Measuring X-rays is a bit of an art, and if someone hasn't been measuring curves every day for years, they're not going to pick up the same thing as the pros.

Dr. Boachie is a great man and an excellent surgeon. The only problem is that he does not accept insurance reimbursement, so you may have a higher out-of-pocket cost than you would from other docs. (Your insurance company will issue out-of-network payment to you, and you'll pay Dr. Boachie.) His office will work with you to figure out the finances.

Good luck.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hey Mike

Great to hear from you! Now that you have taken a breather, I see you are ready again. Having a chat with Dr Boachie would be a great idea....he will help you out.

I wouldn’t worry about any measurements till you see him.

Be sure to let us know how it goes.
      Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment