10 months post-op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 months post-op

I am so sorry! I have been MIA on here for a long time, and I have missed all of you!

We have been super busy. We moved last month into a new single story home (yay!) and we have been getting our home study updated so we can adopt. And life is not slowing down anytime soon, which is a wonderful change for someone who felt like she had been in slow motion for 4 years. The days are flying by now that I can work like a normal person, sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day without searing leg pain. I am so thankful for that!

I had my check up with my surgeon a few weeks ago, and everything is still looking good! I flew to NY last weekend, my first plane ride in over 6 years. I walked like crazy all weekend, and had no pain at all. It was funny, my friends were complaining about how their backs were achy from slouching while we waited in long lines for the touristy things, and I smiled because #1, don't complain about an achy back to someone who's had their whole spine fused, and #2, mine actually felt fine since I have perfect posture lol.
    I did get a little sore by the end of the plane ride home, but that is nothing compared to what I have felt from just sitting in a chair before my surgery. (Oh, and on a side note, I did not set off any alarms at the airport, but I did get selected for that lovely scanner thing. I almost chose not to do it but I didn't feel like getting a pat down either. I guess it's pick your poison! I figured one more x-ray isn't going to kill me lol.)

I am getting stronger and stronger every month, and my energy seems to be returning (ever so slowly). I have found new ways to do things, and don't feel held back by my fusion at all. I am now able to bend all the way to the floor and pick up small items like a bobby-pin or bottle cap. I haven't quite mastered sweeping up a pile of dust, but I can see being able to do that in the next few months or so. I don't bend all the way to the floor very often, I usually choose to squat, but it's nice to be able to do it. It's amazing how long it took for my back muscles to loosen up enough for me to do that, even with PT 3 times a week.

I can't believe that at this exact time last year I was still deciding whether or not to go ahead with the surgery. I am SO thankful I did, and that everything has turned out the way it has. All the pain and frustration have been well worth it to get this new life.
    Rebecca
    Dx w/ scoli @ age 12 S curves T-40* L-42*
    wore night bending brace as teenager
    Curves changed to 50's plus or minus
    herniated disc L2-3, Discectomy October 2007
    fusion L2-3 November 2008
    Revision L2-3 Fusion, Removal of hardware August 2009
    Curves measuring 52 T&L September 2010
    Fused T4-L4, all posterior December 27th 2010
    gained almost two inches in height

Before and After Exterior
    Before and After X-rays
    My blog: http://herscoliosisjourney.blogspot.com/

Rebecca,
    I am so happy for you that you have had such a good recovery. Everyone deciding on surgery needs to know there is a light at the end of a long and painful journey. Enjoy the rest of your life to it's fullest. God Bless.
    Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Hi Rebecca,
      It's great to hear how well you have been doing! You truly are an inspiration to all of us. May God continue to bless you especially as you move forward in your adoption process. Keep us all posted!
      Donna
      Female - 49 yrs old at surgery
      Surgery 5/5/11 - Dr. Bridwell, St. Louis
      Fused T3-L3
      60 degree thoracic curve corrected to 30 degrees
      Tennis player & returning to the courts!
      http://s1050.photobucket.com/profile/walkingmom1/index

Comment

Rebecca,
        Congratulations on your recovery! I can sure identify with what you said about your thoughts a year ago. I was consumed with doubts and fears. Isn't it nice to be "on the other side"? Be sure to post after your year check-up.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Rebecca--
          It's wonderful that you are doing so well at 10 months. I hope things keep going well for you as recovery continues! Janet
          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Originally posted by peachrush7 View Post
            I had my check up with my surgeon a few weeks ago, and everything is still looking good!

I am getting stronger and stronger every month, and my energy seems to be returning (ever so slowly). I have found new ways to do things, and don't feel held back by my fusion at all. I am now able to bend all the way to the floor and pick up small items like a bobby-pin or bottle cap.

I can't believe that at this exact time last year I was still deciding whether or not to go ahead with the surgery. I am SO thankful I did, and that everything has turned out the way it has. All the pain and frustration have been well worth it to get this new life.
            Rebecca,

It's so nice to read updates like this. I was just thinking I hadn't seen you on here lately. Glad things are going well! Can you (or anyone) talk more about finding new ways to do things and bending to the floor? I'm still deciding about surgery, and one thing I'm having a hard time with is the loss of flexibility. I would be fused to the sacrum, so lower than you, but I just can't quite picture what it's like. As I move and do little things throughout the day, I think "Would I not be able to do this?" The surgeon I saw last week said something like "Well, you'll be stiffer... but it probably won't be as bad as you think."

That's funny about your friends complaining about aching backs. I have to bite my tongue sometimes when people say things like that. They have no idea do they? lol

Oh, and I hope at some point I can write something similar to your last paragraph!

Lisa

Comment

Lisa,
              I couldn't imagine what it was going to be like fused to the sacrum, but can honestly say that it isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I had grabbers all over the house for the first 6 months after my surgery. Now, it is easier to bend on one knee or squat to pick something up off of the floor. I haven't tried to put a tee in the ground for golf yet, but I'm sure I'll be able to do it one way or another. So that I'm not squatting 25 times a day to toe shoes when I substitute in kindergarten, I sit first and have them put their foot up. It seems like there are ways to do about anything.
              Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
              Now 66
              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Rebecca
                Congratulations! You have done well. Always nice to have that “glowing” report.

Lisa
                Check out my mobility thread in my sig. Being fused all the way down isn’t bad at all. You can also see how I rotate with a fused spine.

Karen
                Are you tying your shoes with one knee down on the floor yet? I think it was about 10 months or so where I started that method. That’s how you will insert your tee.

Remember, with new stretches, go slow. Real slow.
                Ed
                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Ed,
                  I usually prop each foot up (one at a time) to tie, but I think I could do it the way you described. I thought I was superwoman a couple of weeks ago and went crazy increasing all of my exercises. Boy, did I pay for it! I have learned from that experience!
                  Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                  Now 66
                  Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                  Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

great news! The best part is that you will continue to improve! You probably don't believe it but you will!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
                      Lisa,
                      I couldn't imagine what it was going to be like fused to the sacrum, but can honestly say that it isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I had grabbers all over the house for the first 6 months after my surgery. Now, it is easier to bend on one knee or squat to pick something up off of the floor. I haven't tried to put a tee in the ground for golf yet, but I'm sure I'll be able to do it one way or another. So that I'm not squatting 25 times a day to toe shoes when I substitute in kindergarten, I sit first and have them put their foot up. It seems like there are ways to do about anything.
                      Karen,

Thank you for sharing that. That is a lot of shoes to tie! I think it's an emotional thing with me, and it's probably going to sound silly, but it has to do with my dogs. We have 3, and I work at home, so I'm with them constantly. I'm always squatting down to scratch their belly or behind their ears as I walk from my office to the kitchen, etc. And I have a ritual at night where I go over to each one to say goodnight and spend a few minutes with each one, individually, petting them. I squat down to do this, or even sit on the floor. Do you think I could still do that, once fully healed, with fusion to the sacrum? I guess it would work to bend down on one knee. They'll probably adjust to any changes easier than I will. And I'm sure they'd love to be able to go on regular walks and outings again, which I can't do much the way my back is now.

Lisa

Comment

Originally posted by SpineTime View Post
                        Karen,

Thank you for sharing that. That is a lot of shoes to tie! I think it's an emotional thing with me, and it's probably going to sound silly, but it has to do with my dogs. We have 3, and I work at home, so I'm with them constantly. I'm always squatting down to scratch their belly or behind their ears as I walk from my office to the kitchen, etc. And I have a ritual at night where I go over to each one to say goodnight and spend a few minutes with each one, individually, petting them. I squat down to do this, or even sit on the floor. Do you think I could still do that, once fully healed, with fusion to the sacrum? I guess it would work to bend down on one knee. They'll probably adjust to any changes easier than I will. And I'm sure they'd love to be able to go on regular walks and outings again, which I can't do much the way my back is now.

Lisa
                        Pets will learn to change. Both of my cats now know that they cannot get petted on the floor any longer . They have to jump onto a furniture or get into my lap or lie on the bed. Pets love us and they will learn to change. Everyone in a while Bailey will forget and lie on the floor waiting for a belly rub. I just stand there
                        and pat my bed and then she remembers what she needs to do. They love us .
                        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Pet lovers understand!

Lisa,
                          It doesn't sound silly at all to be thinking about your dogs. We have two miniature schnauzers that we both love, however, I did everything for them prior to surgery-walked them, fed them, bathed them, combed them, etc. We hired a neighbor to give them a long walk each day and my husband bathed them under my supervision! Finally, at 5 months post-op I started walking them myself. One of the dogs can jump on the bed or couch to be with me, but the other one always has to be lifted. That is somewhat frustrating for me, but my husband picks her up when I want him to if he is around. Your dogs will adjust & be happy just being with you. Eventually, you'll be able to squat down by them.
                          Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                          Now 66
                          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                            Lisa
                            Check out my mobility thread in my sig. Being fused all the way down isn’t bad at all. You can also see how I rotate with a fused spine.
                            Ed
                            Ed, your pictures are the best. If you ever decide to do a video too, let us know. You'd be great! Post it on YouTube!

Lisa

Comment

Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                              Pets will learn to change. Both of my cats now know that they cannot get petted on the floor any longer . They have to jump onto a furniture or get into my lap or lie on the bed. Pets love us and they will learn to change. Everyone in a while Bailey will forget and lie on the floor waiting for a belly rub. I just stand there
                              and pat my bed and then she remembers what she needs to do. They love us .
                              Oh, how cute! We have a cat too. He's very sweet, but he's more attached to my husband. I'm the one who cleans his litter box, but I'd be happy to hand off that chore, even temporarily!

Comment

Working...
                              X