PDA

View Full Version : Second Opinion with Dr. Hey

loves to skate
11-14-2011, 01:16 PM
I saw Dr. Hey last Friday and was very impressed with him and his office set-up. I took all of my old xrays, CT scan and MRI's. They were all scanned and put into his computer system. With his computer system, he is able to bring up old and new x-rays to compare them side by side. He showed me what was going on and explained everything very clearly. Sad to say, the disc above my fusion is gone and I have arthritis at the L1-L2 level now. We will treat it non-invasively for the time being with water therapy and the use of a back brace when needed. If I don't feel any better after the winter, we will move up to the next step of cortisone shots. He told me that he thought my nerve pain is probably permanent. I was thankful for his honesty. My pain is annoying but not disabling, and is helped with Neurontin, so I am thankful for that. To save my having to travel two and 1/2 hours to see him, he said we could communicate by telephone and email. I thought that was great.

Interestingly, he told me that he and Dr. Rand worked together several years ago to develop the anchor bolts for pelvic fixation.

Good thoughts to all who are considering surgery or have recently had surgery. I do check up on you but don't always have time to weigh in.

Sally

mabeckoff
11-14-2011, 01:20 PM
I went to Dr Hey in June for a second opinion as per Dr Bederman. If I was not moving to CA, I would have had my surgery with Dr Hey. I was very impressed with him and his office staff. He has kept in touch with me since June via email. He seems to be a very caring man.

Elisa
11-14-2011, 08:05 PM
Pooka speaks very highly of Dr. Hey and follows his blog regularly; that's all I know about him. He does seem quite impressive from all the cases I've read about him.

jrnyc
11-14-2011, 08:32 PM
i am so shocked and saddened tht you are having this problem, Sally...i thought your last surgery
in MA was the last...and was successful....
i hope the treatment for pain is helpful!

jess

loves to skate
11-14-2011, 09:55 PM
i am so shocked and saddened tht you are having this problem, Sally...i thought your last surgery
in MA was the last...and was successful....
i hope the treatment for pain is helpful!

jess

Thanks Jess, I sort of expected this as Dr. Rand had talked about doing something with that level at my original consultation. I guess he felt that it looked OK when he was in there the first time. When I saw him in May, he was a little concerned by it from the xrays, but apparently it didn't take very long for the disc to deteriorate completely. You have to realize I am 71 years old and I come from a long line of women who have suffered from arthritis and DDD. I am still way better for having surgery in the first place, because I know I would otherwise be in a wheelchair. I will stay active as long as I possibly can and I am very fortunate that Neurontin and my anti-inflamatory(Meloxican) and tylenol as needed keep me going. I'm glad I don't need heavy narcotics.
Sally

loves to skate
11-14-2011, 09:58 PM
I went to Dr Hey in June for a second opinion as per Dr Bederman. If I was not moving to CA, I would have had my surgery with Dr Hey. I was very impressed with him and his office staff. He has kept in touch with me since June via email. He seems to be a very caring man.
Yes Melissa, he does seem to be very reachable and very caring. Also, I like the fact that he is a Christian man.
Sally

LindaRacine
11-14-2011, 11:28 PM
Interestingly, he told me that he and Dr. Rand worked together several years ago to develop the anchor bolts for pelvic fixation.

There are several types and brands of pelvic bolts. I think he is co-inventor of one brand. I'm sure he didn't mean to take the credit for the idea of pelvic bolts. :)

Sorry to hear that your nerve pain may be permanent. :(

--Linda

jrnyc
11-15-2011, 12:29 AM
i am glad that your pain is tolerable at this time...
i hate that you went thru all that surgery and still have spinal problems....
i know..i know...there are no guarantees with the surgery...
it just seems like rotten luck...

i have DDD, arthritis & stenosis of the spine as well, along with a few other things that cause back pain...
i havent had scoli surgery..yet....
the pain i have is extreme, which is why the pain doc offers me heavy meds....

i hope your pain gets better...or at least stays the same and doesn't get worse...
i also hope the noninvasive tx gives you pain relief

jess

mabeckoff
11-15-2011, 12:33 AM
Yes Melissa, he does seem to be very reachable and very caring. Also, I like the fact that he is a Christian man.
Sally

He prays with his patients before surgery

loves to skate
11-15-2011, 09:10 AM
There are several types and brands of pelvic bolts. I think he is co-inventor of one brand. I'm sure he didn't mean to take the credit for the idea of pelvic bolts. :)

Sorry to hear that your nerve pain may be permanent. :(

--Linda
More than likely, I misunderstood him.

jrnyc
11-15-2011, 09:41 AM
i only care about the skill a surgeon has...
not his/her religion

i also think praying with patients crosses a line....
a doctor/patient line....

jess

mabeckoff
11-15-2011, 10:18 AM
i only care about the skill a surgeon has...
not his/her religion

i also think praying with patients crosses a line....
a doctor/patient line....

jess

Jess,

He does not pray with you if you do not want it. During the first few minutes of meeting Dr Hey, we both said that they were Christians and that was that. When I email him and tell him of my problems and he says that he will keep me in his prayers, I do not feel that it is a problem. Yes I agree that a surgeon's skill
comes first and I have no idea of Dr Bederman's religion. It has never come up

LindaRacine
11-15-2011, 11:00 AM
Please do not hijack this thread with a discussion of religion. There are plenty of other forums where one can discuss their religious beliefs.

Thanks.

rohrer01
11-15-2011, 12:37 PM
Please do not hijack this thread with a discussion of religion. There are plenty of other forums where one can discuss their religious beliefs.

Thanks.

I understand your concern for a thread to turn religious, but I don't see a discussion of religion here. If you read Dr. Hey's website, it is VERY clear that he operates his business from a religious perspective. When he cancelled my appointment, for no seemingly apparent reason, the only answer I got from the receptionist about WHY he cancelled it was that he prayed about it. Sorry, but it's true. If someone finds this offensive, then perhaps this isn't the doctor to be flouting all over this forum. I'm not saying he's not a good surgeon, but Hey and religion go hand-in-hand. The receptionist even told me that he will sometimes pray about a surgery and then cancel it at the last minute. I'm glad I didn't travel all the way out there to see him.

Pooka1
11-15-2011, 08:58 PM
In my opinion, Hey is great example of someone who is really at the forefront of a surgical discipline and is completely driven to help folks. If we weren't referred elsewhere I might have gotten an opinion from him because he is close. His medicine comes from an intellectually honest place. It would not matter to me what drives him otherwise unless it interfered with his practice of medicine. Equally, I don't give a hoot if some of my scientific colleagues are religious as long as they don't deny scientific facts like evolution, a few billion year old earth, no worldwide flood, etc. etc. There were at least two very conservative Christians on my doctoral committee but they both accepted scientific facts for goodness sake! Essentially they must NOT let their religion contaminate their science as in the case of Francis Collins who gets continually and publicly spanked for doing so.

Now Rohr's story appears to be edging towards getting away from intellectual honesty but I can't know that.

jrnyc
11-15-2011, 09:58 PM
i had no intention of discussing religion...
i was just commenting on what was said about Dr hey...in a thread about Dr Hey...

i agree with Sharon...
i don't care...as long as it doesn't interfere with what needs to get done for a patient...
i just found it...disconcerting...
personally, i would not want decisions made for me, as a patient, based on what the surgeon "prayed" about...
i would want my surgery based on cold, hard medical facts....

jess

Pooka1
11-16-2011, 06:28 AM
i had no intention of discussing religion...
i was just commenting on what was said about Dr hey...in a thread about Dr Hey...

i agree with Sharon...
i don't care...as long as it doesn't interfere with what needs to get done for a patient...
i just found it...disconcerting...
personally, i would not want decisions made for me, as a patient, based on what the surgeon "prayed" about...
i would want my surgery based on cold, hard medical facts....

jess

I agree that Hey pays a price in credibility by publicly admitting he prays over medical decisions rather than using ONLY experience and evidence. He may just use prayer as a euphemism for this medical deliberation with himself. Let's hope so. If he really believes prayer does anything (apart from placebo effect ) then he should not be in medicine. That would be the worst kind of gross contamination of science with religion.

Even though Hey pays a price in credibility by admitting to the prayer stuff, we have to remember he practices in a buckle of the bible belt here in Raleigh, NC. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a creationist here and these people arguably do not realize that religion contaminating science is a BAD thing. Ignorance on the wing.

loves to skate
11-16-2011, 11:39 AM
Sorry I mentioned religion in the first place. It just made me comfortable with him. I'm sorry your surgery got canceled at the last minute Rohr. Praying is a way to examine one's heart and if he felt that he couldn't do you justice, isn't it better to cancel at the last minute than to operate and fail? At the very least, he put in the time thinking about your case. He probably should have done it sooner, but we all make mistakes. It's sort of like leaving the bride at the alter, but that bride is better off not marrying that man in the first place.
Sally

jrnyc
11-16-2011, 11:58 AM
i do not think "examining one's heart" is a good way to make a medical decision...
i am not sure what the heart has to do with medical facts...
i think decisions like that are the job of the head...the brain, to be precise...

jess

hdugger
11-16-2011, 12:01 PM
i do not think "examining one's heart" is a good way to make a medical decision...
i am not sure what the heart has to do with medical facts...
i think decisions like that are the job of the head...the brain, to be precise...

jess

I'd like to think that, too, but I often get a gut feeling that I trust over my rational mind. I imagine doctors have the same thing.

jrnyc
11-16-2011, 12:06 PM
i know what you mean by that gut feeling...
but i am not operating on anyone...
i'd like to believe that any "gut feeling" a surgeon has it backed up by medical facts...
in a court of law, "gut feeling" wouldn't hold up as a reason for surgery!

jess

loves to skate
11-16-2011, 12:13 PM
i know what you mean by that gut feeling...
but i am not operating on anyone...
i'd like to believe that any "gut feeling" a surgeon has it backed up by medical facts...
in a court of law, "gut feeling" wouldn't hold up as a reason for surgery!

jess

Jess, If you want to hijack my thread with your reasoning, go ahead. I am sure any surgeon of Dr. Hey's caliber backs up his "gut feeling" with medical facts and his own skills. There is a lot of injustice in courts of law and a lot of mistakes made by surgeons of low caliber!
Sally

jrnyc
11-16-2011, 12:25 PM
fine...i didn't think of it as "hijacking" when three different posts wrote about his religious
point of view...and you first mentioned that he is "Christian" as if it is important to you
no problem...wouldn't want to hijack anyone's thread
to each their own!

rohrer01
11-16-2011, 01:49 PM
Sorry I mentioned religion in the first place. It just made me comfortable with him. I'm sorry your surgery got canceled at the last minute Rohr. Praying is a way to examine one's heart and if he felt that he couldn't do you justice, isn't it better to cancel at the last minute than to operate and fail? At the very least, he put in the time thinking about your case. He probably should have done it sooner, but we all make mistakes. It's sort of like leaving the bride at the alter, but that bride is better off not marrying that man in the first place.
Sally

He didn't cancel my surgery, he cancelled my consultation. I never even met with him. I sent him copies of my x-rays and MRI and I talked with him on the phone and corresponded with him by e-mail, so it saved me the expense of even going out there. The receptionist told me via e-mail that he has cancelled other people's surgeries at the last minute due to prayer. I don't mind his beliefs. That's not the point. I haven't decided if I even want surgery. I go back and forth. I needed a second opinion because my first doctor told me to come back if my pain got worse, and when I did he blew me off and didn't even have my chart with him. I just found the reason for my cancellation disconcerting. He did tell me that there were plenty of good surgeons in my area that could perform the surgery and give me aftercare. But I had already discussed with him the reason I wanted to see him as opposed to other surgeons. I liked his short OR times and minimal blood loss and he was okay with that because he sees patients from all over. I don't think being open about religion by doctor or patient is unethical. But his receptonist saying my appointment was cancelled due to prayer and he does it to other people was more than a little odd. Medical ethics can get quite complicated. I don't think that either patient OR doctor should be forced to go outside of their comfort zone, whether it be for religious reasons or just plain I'm not comfortable with that procedure. It puts a mental block up for the surgeon and you may get a bad outcome, and for the patient, they have a right to decide what they want done with their own body. Like Linda said on another thread, don't try to make medical decisions for the surgeon as to the technique because he may try and accomodate you with disasterous results. If you don't like what he's telling you, find another doctor that you trust. I just don't think "prayer" was a legitimate reason to give me. If he has a reputation for doing that, as his receptionist stated in correspondence with me, then patient beware. I have my own idea as to why he really cancelled and I think it all boils down to $$$. My insurance denied coverage for me to see him, so I would have to pay out of pocket for the consult and likely would not have convinced the insurance company to pay for surgery with him, that's my opinion. If he was really concerned about me travelling, he could have said, even though I have patients that come from all parts of the globe, I don't think traveling for you would be a good idea because.....(there being plenty of good doctors in my area isn't good enough, as we had already discussed that) But surgery and type of procedure were already being planned before I even had a consultation with him, which should have been a red flag right there.

Elisa
11-16-2011, 07:07 PM
He didn't cancel my surgery, he cancelled my consultation. I never even met with him. I sent him copies of my x-rays and MRI and I talked with him on the phone and corresponded with him by e-mail, so it saved me the expense of even going out there. The receptionist told me via e-mail that he has cancelled other people's surgeries at the last minute due to prayer. I don't mind his beliefs. That's not the point. I haven't decided if I even want surgery. I go back and forth. I needed a second opinion because my first doctor told me to come back if my pain got worse, and when I did he blew me off and didn't even have my chart with him. I just found the reason for my cancellation disconcerting. He did tell me that there were plenty of good surgeons in my area that could perform the surgery and give me aftercare. But I had already discussed with him the reason I wanted to see him as opposed to other surgeons. I liked his short OR times and minimal blood loss and he was okay with that because he sees patients from all over. I don't think being open about religion by doctor or patient is unethical. But his receptonist saying my appointment was cancelled due to prayer and he does it to other people was more than a little odd. Medical ethics can get quite complicated. I don't think that either patient OR doctor should be forced to go outside of their comfort zone, whether it be for religious reasons or just plain I'm not comfortable with that procedure. It puts a mental block up for the surgeon and you may get a bad outcome, and for the patient, they have a right to decide what they want done with their own body. Like Linda said on another thread, don't try to make medical decisions for the surgeon as to the technique because he may try and accomodate you with disasterous results. If you don't like what he's telling you, find another doctor that you trust. I just don't think "prayer" was a legitimate reason to give me. If he has a reputation for doing that, as his receptionist stated in correspondence with me, then patient beware. I have my own idea as to why he really cancelled and I think it all boils down to $$$. My insurance denied coverage for me to see him, so I would have to pay out of pocket for the consult and likely would not have convinced the insurance company to pay for surgery with him, that's my opinion. If he was really concerned about me travelling, he could have said, even though I have patients that come from all parts of the globe, I don't think traveling for you would be a good idea because.....(there being plenty of good doctors in my area isn't good enough, as we had already discussed that) But surgery and type of procedure were already being planned before I even had a consultation with him, which should have been a red flag right there.

That does sound like a possible reason he cancelled your consultation. Who really knows. I am not the praying type myself and if I were told that by a surgeon's secretary, I would have been flabbergasted. He is a wonderful surgeon though, and to each their own, however strange it seems.

Pooka1
11-16-2011, 08:13 PM
I am not the praying type myself and if I were told that by a surgeon's secretary, I would have been flabbergasted.

I can understand that. But I think there is more to consider.

I grew up in NYC.

Until I got to the south, it was hard for me to imagine that so many people in one area could take religion so seriously. Hey is from Long Island (Oyster Bay), not that far from where I grew up in Queens. He is now in Raleigh, probably for a reason. He probably easily draws folks from all across the south and the Midwest, both strongholds of religion within an already very religious US compared to happier, much more atheistic countries like Norway, Denmark, Finland, and Canada.

I suspect Hey could fill his dance card from his surgical skills alone. I would still consider him because of his skill level and because I am not convinced he lets his religion contaminate his science/medicine. I think his top shelf education prevents that although there is no guarantee with folks like Francis Collins walking around loose. But I also think he can fill his card from like minded folks religion-wise. It's not a bad thing if folks think his Christianity gives him some extra edge. Positive thinking is so important. Me, I just care about his skill which certainly appears considerable. I consider him an extremely high performing individual. There are not so many folks like that.

I suggest if you had a chance to live among the believers like I have, you might forgive the spirituality if there was a high functioning individual behind it. I have learned to accept most things except the war on science and the totalitarian politics of Christianity (anti-choice, anti embryonic stem cell research, unkindness and unfairness to gays, etc., etc.). And I only had to exchange a few emails making sure the eight grade science teachers were teaching evolution and keeping their noses clean in general. Other than those things, it's been okay here south of the Mason-Dixon. :-)