13 days out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13 days out

I am on day 13 post surgery and I can tell the pain is getting less. Thank you God! I have kept up with the magnesium and so far no constipation ( knock on wood). I am still not able to really sit in a chair yet but I can sit straight up on the edge of the bed for 20 minutes or so before I wear out. I can know go up and down the stairs 2 times before I get tired and shaky and quit. Walking about a half mile now. Still can't each much at a time but I feel hungry all the time. I have whined the last few weeks because things have been pretty bad and I doubt I would ever use that hospital again but dr Moreno has been fabulous to work with. Thanks to everyone who listened and responded to my whines. I hope most of them are past me now.

K

No apologies necessary! You've just come through incredible surgery and 13 days out, you're feeling improvements. It's wonderful! (And we all understand.)
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Glad that you are feeling better
      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

"That hospital" is one of the reasons I never consulted with Dr. Moreno even though he is much closer to me than Dallas...I wanted a hospital and a surgical team on par with the actual surgeon, where they do these kinds of surgeries all the time and you get the kind of personalized care that is needed after a surgery of this magnitude. I'm very glad that you're happy with your surgeon, anyway.

And I'm REALLY glad to hear of your progress, which sounds very good.
        Stephanie, age 56
        Diagnosed age 8
        Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
        Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
        Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
        Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
        Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
        Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Comment

Wow, if that hospital has such a bad reputation, someone should be filing a complaint. I'm not sure who you should contact, because complaining to that hospital probably won't do any good. I'm sure someone on here would know. It's too bad when you get a really good doctor affiliated with a rotten hospital. He's probably the only reason that they are still in business if they are that bad.
          Be happy!
          We don't know what tomorrow brings,
          but we are alive today!

Comment

Kayde - glad you're doing much better! Saw you weren't happy w the hospital and wanted to know which it was, as if it's Moreno it's in Tampa, right? We're going to be seeing Dr Cronen in Tampa for a second opinion on our son & I'd like to avoid a bad experience on top of it all. Thanks in advance.
            Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
            Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
            Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
            Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
            photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Comment

Kayde,
              I am happy to hear you are improving. I didn't walk up our stairs until I was about 4 weeks post-op and was out of breath! I couldn't believe it. On the other hand, it's so encouraging to see improvements in stamina each week or month after surgery. It gets better and better. Just don't over do it. At 9 months post-op, I thought I should kick up my daily exercise routine and paid for it! This surgery definitely teaches us to be patient!
              Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
              Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
              70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
              Rib Hump-GONE!
              Age-60 at the time of surgery
              Now 66
              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
              Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
              Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
              tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
              http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Dear Kayde, I have been following your story, each time I wanted to respond, but I don't write english easily and everytime, I did'nt have the energy required. I have a one month advance on you, I had surgery on sept. 22th, exactly the same as you: t2 to L4. Every problem you have described, I experienced it: extreme pain in a hospital where they seem not to care of, extreme mouth dryness, hungry all the time, but at the same time, so hard to eat... I wanted to encourage you, because now I can tell that it gets a little better every day, even if some days are not as good as the day before. I'm so glad you are doing better now, your last message is encouraging. God, it's hard isn't it? But you, and I, we are gonna go through! All our scoli fellows on this wonderful forum had tell us (thank you so much to everyone!), but there's nothing as experience!
                Bamboo

Diagnosed age 17 in 1975
                no treatment
                Never knew I would need any follow-up
                Now 53 years old
                Curves in late 2010 Lumbar 70, Thoracic 65
                Has been fused T2 to L4 on september 22th 2011
                Dr. Stefan Parent, Hôpital Sacré-Coeur, Montréal

Comment

Great improvement!

Hey Kayde,
                  By all indications, you are making great progress! Like so many have said though, don't try to overdo it because your body will remind you that doing too much is just not a good idea. I think all of us have experienced that reminder at various recovery stages. Just hang in there!
                  Donna
                  Female - 49 yrs old at surgery
                  Surgery 5/5/11 - Dr. Bridwell, St. Louis
                  Fused T3-L3
                  60 degree thoracic curve corrected to 30 degrees
                  Tennis player & returning to the courts!
                  http://s1050.photobucket.com/profile/walkingmom1/index

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
                    Wow, if that hospital has such a bad reputation, someone should be filing a complaint. I'm not sure who you should contact, because complaining to that hospital probably won't do any good. I'm sure someone on here would know. It's too bad when you get a really good doctor affiliated with a rotten hospital. He's probably the only reason that they are still in business if they are that bad.
                    Okay, rohrer01, you kind of took what I wrote the wrong way. I don't think the hospital is a bad hospital, at least probably not. What I mean is, there is a tremendous difference between having this kind of surgery in a regular hospital with an orthopedic section, and a hospital that has a dedicated section and a dedicated surgical team and aftercare team who deal with major spinal deformity surgery EVERY DAY. That is what I was looking for, along with a top surgeon. There is no such hospital in the Tampa Bay area, at least none I've ever heard of.
                    Stephanie, age 56
                    Diagnosed age 8
                    Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
                    Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
                    Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
                    Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
                    Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
                    Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mojo's Mom View Post
                      Okay, rohrer01, you kind of took what I wrote the wrong way. I don't think the hospital is a bad hospital, at least probably not. What I mean is, there is a tremendous difference between having this kind of surgery in a regular hospital with an orthopedic section, and a hospital that has a dedicated section and a dedicated surgical team and aftercare team who deal with major spinal deformity surgery EVERY DAY. That is what I was looking for, along with a top surgeon. There is no such hospital in the Tampa Bay area, at least none I've ever heard of.
                      Gotcha. That makes more sense. The nursing staff would probably be more skilled at handling this type of post-op patient in a specialty hospital. It's just that I've seen more than a few really bad hospitals. I worked at one hospital that had mediocer care, at best. But they had an absolutely awesome "alcohol and other drug addictions" program (AODA). Famous people would come there to recover, so it kept the hospital going.
                      Be happy!
                      We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                      but we are alive today!

Comment

Hospital

Dr Moreno uses countryside Mease where I have been before but it was all out patient issues. The nurses for the most part had no idea what I had done and I had to get my dr involved which helped until the next nurse came on duty. They refused my request to see my other dr's who also use that hospital and twice had me down for things that weren't meant for me. It was crazy. I wish there was a dedicated hospital for this sugary but they told me I was on the orthopedic floor. Idk it was crazy and I am glad go be home. I have done much better since I have been home. I let my other dr's know I had asked for them and was denied. They were not happy as they were both st that hospital the week I was there. I told dr Moreno as soon as him or his staff was gone they changed everything back. You just can't
                        Revert from being processed as nobody wants to think or ask questions. I over did one day...won't do that again. Lol

Comment

Working...
                        X