Exercise Limitations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exercise Limitations

I have two more months before I am a year post-op, but started thinking today about the possibility of going back to some of my exercise classes at that time. Naturally, I will ask Dr.Lenke about restrictions at that time.
    If you are a year or more post-op and have a fusion to the sacrum, are you allowed to do:

Jumping jacks
    Squats
    Planks
    Sit ups
    Gentle jogging
    Lunges
    Push ups
    Side leg lifts
    Leg lifts from all fours
    Bicycle laying on back
    Twisting

Like I said, I will get permission in Jan before going back to any of my classes. If there are just too many exercises that shouldn't do, I will just stick with water aerobics and walking.

Thanks,
    Karen
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Hi Karen,

Amazing that you are coming up on a year pretty soon! You have had such a wonderful recovery.

I went into surgery in very good cardiovascular shape from swimming, and I think it helped my recovery a lot. I returned to the pool at 3-1/2 weeks post-op, first doing walking in the warm pool, then slowly kicking on the kick board and finally slowly swimming by about 6-8 weeks. I experienced some very painful bouts of plantar fasciitis foot problems that curtailed my walking program, so instead I swam. When I told my surgeon how much I was swimming by 3 months post-op he was astounded, but thought it was ok if I was careful and felt ok. No flip turns though!

I am now at 13 months post-op. I was cleared at 12 months for most all activities except my surgeon told me not to do anything that increased axial loading of the spine (like lifting weights over my head). He also told me I should avoid twisting, which is fine, because it doesn't feel too great anyway! I am very active again at the gym and pool. I swim 4-5 days per week for 30-60 minutes. I also do the elliptical for 15-20 minutes several times per week, and do 5 weight machines 3-4 times/week. I do hip abductors, hip adductors, seated row, lateral pulldown, and some other type of row. I am concentrating on strengthening the muscles of my upper back in particular, because I was having issues with daily upper back fatigue and strain. Now that I have stepped up my workouts to include the gym activities, my upper back feels much stronger and rarely aches anymore. The rest of my back feels great, too.

I am able to do the plank twice a day for about 30 seconds. I tried it around 6 months post-op and I felt it put an awful strain on my back...now it feels solid. I am not sure about the rest of the exercises you mention, but I will be curious to hear what Lenke has to say. I imagine that most will be ok.

I did seriously strain my right scapula area a few weeks ago trying to clip my nails--that is still not easy for me. I think I need a long-handled nail clipper. I remember TiEd saying he had a severe soft-tissue injury some time back from a similar domestic activity. I guess most accidents do happen in the home.

Take care,
    Gayle, age 50
    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Wow, you ladies/gentlemen who had scoliosis surgery are WAY more active than me. How do you do it?! I have not seen the inside of a gym, nor have I exercised... in I honestly do not know how long, lol.
      Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
      Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
      Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
      http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

HI Karen,
        I saw Dr Lenke for my one year anniversary in September. He said I could "do WHATEVER I wanted"! Just to stay away from things that are really jarring, like horse back riding. It has been nice (and strange) to allow myself to bend over! Of course, it depends on how much of your spine is fused. I don't think I could do a sit up if I wanted to! I bet you'll get the same clearance.
        YAY
        Nancy
        Age 58
        Surgery w/ Dr Lenke August 23, 2010
        original curves 91 thoracic, 86 lumbar
        fused T1 to sacrum, new curves 50 and 45

Comment

Thanks, girls. It's so nice to hear how people are doing a year after their surgery.

Since I miss my friends (& the exercises) from my presurgery classes at the Y, I'm hoping that I will be able to modify or substitute exercises and return to the classes in Jan. After hearing from you, it sounds like it is feasible. Meanwhile, I am walking a lot and going to water aerobics.
          Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
            Jumping jacks
            Squats
            Planks
            Sit ups
            Gentle jogging
            Lunges
            Push ups
            Side leg lifts
            Leg lifts from all fours
            Bicycle laying on back
            Twisting
            Hey Karen, I'm not fused to the sacrum, but from reading up on people who are, many doctors say to avoid running. I'm not sure if that's completely true, but I would think with each jump you take, the impact goes straight to that area and would cause pain? I wasn't fused in 2 levels, but when I did slightly jog/run, my spine would hurt. So if that's the case, jumping jacks doesn't sound like fun lol. Squats put a lot of pressure on your spine, if you're doing body squats or light weight squats, I don't think it'll be a huge problem, but it does put a lot of pressure on your back. And sit ups would be kind of hard being fused to your sacrum wouldn't it? It would force you to bend, when you can do crunches, and keep your back straight. I think the rest are fine though.

Comment

Yes, I'm sure situps and crunches are out. Maybe I could do "Dead Bugs" while the others are doing crunches. It seems to me, also, that any high impact exercise such as jogging in place or jumping jacks would cause jarring and possibly add more stress & wear and tear to the unfused vertebrae. Others have mentioned "no twisting" ever, but I read that some return to Yoga. Dr. Lenke told me I could return to golf and that involved some twisting and turning.
              Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
              Now 66
              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Hi ladies! I'm new to this forum but have had a lifetime of knowledge of scoliosis.

I am 32 years post op.

Over the years one thing I do realize is that the docs have no clue about exercise or what types to do or not do. Heck I heard the "you can do anything but maybe not horseback riding". That is old school. Yes you can do whatever you want however there are things to consider.

I am now 48 years old have been active and exercising my entire life. Here is what I do know. Exercise is beneficial even if it is merely walking every day. I have recently been told that I have severe spinal and lateral stenosis (thickening of the interior of the spine in the last vertebra of my fusion L4-5) Why???? because no one told me that I should not be doing any impact exercises. As you age the spine has an uncanny way of conditioning itself by making itself stronger. That stronger means it grows thicker at the point of most impact. For me it was L4-5. Think of it as the entire weight of your body weighs heavily on the last fusion. What is a spine or vertebra to do but provide strength. Hence the stenosis.

Exercise your abs, cycle or take spin classes, do yoga or pilates and change the way you do those certain poses to modify for you, dance, zumba. However those impact exercises like running should be reconsidered. You may not feel it now but you will as you age. No doc will tell you this because I can guarantee you that not many of them have many patients that have exercised their entire life and are post op with aging spines.

Comment

Bresco,
                  Welcome to the forum. We will appreciate your future contributions. Even though it was my surgeon you were quoting and I have total faith in his surgical abilities, I just can't imagine that high impact exercising would be good for a fused spine.
                  Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                  Now 66
                  Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                  Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Exercise

Originally posted by Bresco View Post
                    Hi ladies! I'm new to this forum but have had a lifetime of knowledge of scoliosis.

I am 32 years post op.

Over the years one thing I do realize is that the docs have no clue about exercise or what types to do or not do. Heck I heard the "you can do anything but maybe not horseback riding". That is old school. Yes you can do whatever you want however there are things to consider.

I am now 48 years old have been active and exercising my entire life. Here is what I do know. Exercise is beneficial even if it is merely walking every day. I have recently been told that I have severe spinal and lateral stenosis (thickening of the interior of the spine in the last vertebra of my fusion L4-5) Why???? because no one told me that I should not be doing any impact exercises. As you age the spine has an uncanny way of conditioning itself by making itself stronger. That stronger means it grows thicker at the point of most impact. For me it was L4-5. Think of it as the entire weight of your body weighs heavily on the last fusion. What is a spine or vertebra to do but provide strength. Hence the stenosis.

Exercise your abs, cycle or take spin classes, do yoga or pilates and change the way you do those certain poses to modify for you, dance, zumba. However those impact exercises like running should be reconsidered. You may not feel it now but you will as you age. No doc will tell you this because I can guarantee you that not many of them have many patients that have exercised their entire life and are post op with aging spines.
                    I agree with you completely!! My doctor also told me to go ahead and do anything 6 weeks post surgery. I thought he understood what an exercise maniac I was/am but I don't think he had a clue. Of course, I didn't go nuts at the gym but I did do a few things that I was physically not ready for. When I went back for my 3 month post op appt and was specific about what I had tried at the gym and what I wanted to do, he said, what are you, some kind of fitness nut? Well, yes, I am! I've been working out for 20+ years and have made huge strides in terms of getting back in shape since my surgery. I've since sought the help of a physical therapist and slowed things down and I'm doing great! But yes, running will probably have to end : (
                    50 years old!!!!!
                    Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
                    Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
                    Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
                    Surgery 07/11/2011
                    Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

My instinct tells me that high impact movements would not be good for a fused spine. I have been extremely cautious with everything since my son's surgery six months ago; probably ridiculously cautious. I just think that he is so young (15) and really needs to take care of his spine b/c he's got a lot of years left of normal wear and tear. I have told him that running/jogging are out as well as all contact sports and a whole bunch more but you guys would think I'm crazy so I'm not going to list them here. He isn't the athletic type anyway, he's a computer nerd and a bookworm so it's not like I'm depriving him of anything. I will lighten up a wee bit when we reach the one year mark.

Comment

Originally posted by Elisa View Post
                        He isn't the athletic type anyway, he's a computer nerd and a bookworm so it's not like I'm depriving him of anything.
                        WOW. That is a harsh thing for a mother to say. I hope he doesn't read that lol.

Comment

No, my son doesn't read my comments here and has never even looked at my blog, haha! Hey, there's nothing wrong with being a computer nerd or a bookworm... both my boys are but not my daughter!

Comment

Originally posted by hdugger
                            Kids who actually are computer nerds and bookworms (my son as well), take the name as a badge of honor
                            Exactly! :-D

Comment

Originally posted by hdugger
                              Kids who actually are computer nerds and bookworms (my son as well), take the name as a badge of honor

I have three kids the same way. In our family we are all nerds and geeks and we are proud of the term!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X