Laptop, Extra TV, or what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop, Extra TV, or what?

Okay, so my media options at home are a living room TV, DVD, etc. and a desktop computer. I spend a fair amount of time online and expect that will be a big activity after surgery, too. I watch no TV, but enjoy watching movies. I don't have a smart phone.

I could buy a laptop (15 or 17"?), or add a TV to the bedroom, or both. I hope not to be spending too much time in bed, but I realize I will be there quite a bit for a while. I don't really know what an iPad does, but I could get one and learn...

What has worked well for the rest of you?
    Stephanie, age 56
    Diagnosed age 8
    Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
    Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
    Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
    Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
    Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
    Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

My iPad has been wonderful. I can watch tv, movies, documents,email and it has been awesome. I bought an apple tv and that allows u to rent movies or play them from your computer or iPod or iPad right onto you tv. Been awesome for mrbb

Comment

iPad

iPads are fantastic and SOOOOOOOOOO user friendly.
      50 years old!!!!!
      Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
      Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
      Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
      Surgery 07/11/2011
      Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

Before my surgery,KathyK from the forum recommended an Ipad. I love it! I signed up for Netflix and watched many good movies during my recovery. I'd go to bed early and watch a movie before going to sleep. I still use the Ipad for emails and the internet.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

I also vote for the iPad. Subscribe to Netflix. You can watch movies and TV series galore. I am going through the entire series of Lost. That will keep you occupied.

Also, you can read books o the iPad. It has an App for Kindle and other online book reading software out there. I forgot the name of it.

AND there's always Angry Birds. :-)

I also have a small frig near my bed for drinks, etc.
          Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
          Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
          Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
          Dr. Charles Edwards, II
          The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
          Before and after xrays:
          http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

Wow, that's four votes for iPad...I looked at it on Apple's website and it looks like it would be just the thing. I already have Netflix, too. Does anyone know if any of the less expensive tablets are anything like as good as an iPad?
            Stephanie, age 56
            Diagnosed age 8
            Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.

Comment

Don't forget reading the NSF forum on your iPad from bed.....which I still enjoy. You'll need a wireless internet router in your home.
              Kathy
              46 yrs at surgery, now 50
              71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
              8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
              http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

Cheaper pads

Idk about the cheaper pads. I have the version one because I didn't need a camera. I have a blackberry playbook I use for work which I love. But I found that if I had to keep two things the iPad version one ( I didn't get the one with built in wireless as Mifi hotspots and android phones are so cheap for unlimited minutes it wasn't worth it) and my apple tv that let's me watch anything on my iTunes from my computer, iPod or iPad on my tv. And I can rent netflixs and even just released movies for like 3 bucks. I got my apple tv as part of one of my credit card gift promotions but they are around 89.00 so the cost was cheap compared to all it does as a companion to the iPad. I use mine e eryday.

Comment

Apple TV was a new one for me, reading up on it now. Thanks. I guess I'll go with the iPad, although the Droid tablets are cheaper by some, and I was looking pretty seriously at the Asus eepad Transformer, that has a keypad dock.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions so very much.
                  Stephanie, age 56
                  Diagnosed age 8

Comment

Not sure if Android computers can run Netflix

Although this is several months ago, I first purchased something similar to an IPad running the Android Operating System. For some reason, I couldn't get Netflix movies to play on it. That was a show stopper and so I returned it and bought the IPad.

This may have been fixed since then, but I would check into it.
                    Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
                    Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
                    Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
                    Dr. Charles Edwards, II
                    The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
                    Before and after xrays:
                    http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

Samsung

The new Samsung tablet rates very high with Consumer Reports. But do yourself a favor and go for the iPad. I bought the Motorola Xoom and returned it after a month. I am 100% satisfied with the iPad. It is a superior product and no other company can touch it in terms of quality and ease of use.
                      If you have wireless in your house, get the wifi only version. It's much cheaper. Also, I had to wait about three weeks to get mine so keep that in mind if you want one. The 32G wifi only iPad (the one I have) seems to be most in demand and hardest to get.
                      50 years old!!!!!
                      Surgery 07/11/2011

Comment

3 weeks, really? Wow. I don't really need it right now, but I thought it would be good to get it in advance so I'm thoroughly familiar with it before having my surgery...because I know I won't be thinking too clearly for a while after that ;-)
                        Stephanie, age 56
                        Diagnosed age 8

Comment

iPad

The iPad is very easy to use. Apple offers tutorials at their stores. You can make an appt with them online.
                          Perhaps you can put the iPad on your Christmas wish list ; )
                          50 years old!!!!!
                          Surgery 07/11/2011

Comment

Working...
                          X