PDA

View Full Version : Extreme pain

Kayde
10-30-2011, 10:02 AM
I had surgery monday from t2 ti l4. The pain is almost more than I bare Any suggestions?

Pooka1
10-30-2011, 10:15 AM
Tell the surgeon. You may need more or different pain meds.

Are you still in the hospital?

Don't suffer. Do you have someone who can advocate for you if necessary?

Good luck.

debbei
10-30-2011, 02:54 PM
It is normal for the pain to be very bad at this point, and I agree with Sharon--the meds you have aren't working for you. They'll either up your doseages or change to something else.

Good luck,

Kayde
10-30-2011, 03:53 PM
I am still in here today. They plan on letting me go home tonight. Scared. Surgery went from 74 to 16. But,,,lots of pain.

Mojo's Mom
10-30-2011, 05:43 PM
Kayde, remember you posted a little while ago you expected 9 or 10 scale pain...but make sure everybody knows how hard it is for you to bear and they should get you something stronger.

djkinkead
10-30-2011, 06:35 PM
Kayde,

The fact that you are still able to post to this thread and in pain is a pretty good indication. Stand up for your rights--if you have friends or family there with you, ask them to stand up for you for meds to help you get through the pain. Most poeple are on Oxycudone (sp?) at this point. Probably taking them every four hours.

Also, what might be hurting are muscle spasms. You should also have some valium--but you can only take that once every 8 hours. That really, really helped me with the big pain.

I suggest a timeframe of 6 a.m., 10 a.m., 2:00 pm, 6:00 pm, 10 pm, 2:00 am for your pain routine--then you only have to wake up once in the middle of the night to take your meds.

Been where you were seven weeks ago...get the drugs you need.

Pooka1
10-30-2011, 08:43 PM
I am still in here today. They plan on letting me go home tonight. Scared. Surgery went from 74 to 16. But,,,lots of pain.

Wow that is a 78+% correction.

What meds are you on and what is the schedule? Everyone is different but maybe you can get some feedback fr others here to see if they were on a similar amount/frequency.

Are you a redhead? Those folks have a lower pain tolerance and need more pain meds if I understand that correctly and I am not sure I do.

Good luck.

mabeckoff
10-30-2011, 09:29 PM
Both of my surgeons would not let me leave to go to rehab until my pain was under control.

JenniferG
10-30-2011, 11:06 PM
I was also unable to leave hospital until my pain was managable via oral meds. Whilst in hospital, whenever the pain became unbearable, they gave me a morphine shot. It took away all pain within 5 minutes, but was the reason I was in hospital so long (19 days.)

I feel for you Kayde, but don't forget, this WILL get better. I hope they can adjust your meds to make the pain bearable. That's their job.

titaniumed
10-30-2011, 11:22 PM
Hi Kayde

You hang in there....this is the hardest part. I was on Oxycodone which wasn’t cutting it and was switched to Percoset 7.5. Percoset has Tylenol in it and it helped.

Soon they should let you take a shower, and that will make you feel much better.
Are you walking ok?
Ed

Kayde
10-31-2011, 05:06 AM
I am walking about 5 times a day about 200 feet. Can't seem to eat. The 10 plus pain , lack of food and the two giant gashes in my breasts weren't accounted for. So not only does that hurt my right hip hurts more and my ribs feel broken almost. I do have the pain med schedule has been a life saver. I almost didn't make it up the stairs to my house. It was awful. I wanted my primary care but I was told I could only have my ortho by the staff. Been rough. The mattress topper and satin sheets and jammies are Wonderful! Trying to get used to moving different as I sometimes think I move in my sleep and put more strain on. I was surprised they let me go just because I could walk when my pain want under control. I have always has high tolerance for pain and rare,y takr anything so this has been a surprise. They couldnt even draw blood from me which had never happened before either. Both arms are purple. I am looking forward to getting better and want to b sure I am doing all I can on my part. Thanks for the replies. I will post before after as soon as I get them. It was a huge correction

leahdragonfly
10-31-2011, 08:19 AM
Hi Kayde,

You are going through the toughest part now, and I hope with the strict pain med schedule you can get your pain under better control soon. A previous patient had recommended to me to take tylenol round the clock (with in combo meds or in addition to them). When I was around one week post-op I was taking oxycontin twice a day, oxycodone every 4 hours, valium for spasms every 8 hours, and tylenol every 8 hours. I kept a logbook by my bed to record all med doses because it is so hard to remember anything at that point. The log book was also very helpful when it was time to start weaning off the meds.

I was discharged home on day 5 under poor pain control (pain 9/10) and extreme nausea. I ended up back in the ER on day 9 with my pain out of control--definitely wan't any fun at that point. I did turn the first corner around day 11 with pain and things improved from there.

As Ed said, that first shower will be heavenly (and exhausting).

I too had the horrible rib pain post-op. It felt like my ribs had been smashed by a baseball bat. It slowly improved and by about 6 months post-op was reduced to mild rib tenderness, which is essentially gone now at one year.

I too had a hard time eating. I survived on small servings of tomato soup, apple sauce, toast, banana, and cream of wheat for several weeks until my appetite and food tolerance slowly returned.

Hang in there and know that this is the worst part. Each couple of days you will be a little better. Keep up the frequent short walks. We are rooting for you.

JenniferG
10-31-2011, 05:58 PM
My surgeon prescribed 2 x Panadol which is 500mg Paracetamol every 4 hours as well as the Oxycontin and Endone (oxycondone?) because he said it made the Oxycontin work in two separate ways.

You're doing great with your walking! Keep it up because there are many benefits to walking post surgery.

Hang in there. Keep your eye on that light at the end of the tunnel. You'll get there! Good luck.

Kayde
10-31-2011, 07:32 PM
Home health came and got me different meds. Dr office sent someone else out to change dressing. I can shower now. They don't want the dressings to get wet. Nany suggestions? Not sure I know how to do that. I have shower chair and bench and removable shower head. Would love to wash my hair. Any suggestions would b great

Susie*Bee
10-31-2011, 08:05 PM
You might do a search. I remember other people who had that problem and I think they used saran wrap or something, taped down. Also, there are waterless shampoo caps you can get if you really can't shampoo yet. They sell them at the drug store in the health aid area, I think. I used my shower chair for a long time and it made shampooing much easier.

titaniumed
11-01-2011, 01:03 AM
Hi Kayde

The 200 feet 5x is fine. I wasn’t doing that at 7 days. It will get better in time.

You have to eat......I was told to eat yogurt. You also need protein and sliced roast beef is an easy way to do this. Just nibble on a slice. I liked the ensure drinks.

I was changing my dressings and washing my wounds at 10 days. Ask your surgeon, the nurses might differ on this......just move real slow in the shower, and no falling allowed!

Try not to get constipated. That is very painful. Water helps in this regard, sip often.

And like Gayle said, keep notes of everything!

Hang in there
Ed

Kayde
11-01-2011, 06:14 AM
Between my magnesium and milk of magnesia I havent had the constipation I feared. I had that with my first child and swore I would never pass flintstone bedrocks again. Always on my mind. I got the stuff you suggested and so far it is under control. Thank God something is. Appetite coming back slowly but I get full and bloated quickly. Love the ensures and cottage cheese. Been more challenging than anticipated But how do u ever really have a good understanding of it until u have been there. The forum has been invaluable to me. U always feel so alone with it all. I remember being upset ith the nurse - I wanted to pullnup my gown and see if my abdomen crease was gone. Which it was. Made me cry I was so happy. Just the little things u can see. Hope to figure out how to post my before and after pix this week. Thanks so much to everyone for the suggestions and the support. It means a great deal to me.

Doreen1
11-01-2011, 07:52 AM
Between my magnesium and milk of magnesia I havent had the constipation I feared.

How soon did you start taking the milk of magnesia? Is it a pill or liquid?

Warmly,
Doreen

leahdragonfly
11-01-2011, 08:15 AM
Hi Kayde,

I hope the new meds have gotten your pain under control. It sounds like your surgeon's office is responsive, which is helpful.

This will be your routine for this week...pain meds, rest, nibble some food, rest, walk a bit, rest, time for pain meds again, etc. Try to nibble small meals frequently through the day. Do not expect too much of yourself at this point--you went through two major surgeries just a few days ago. I think you are sounding good from your posts.

Hang in there, know things will start to get better soon, and please let us know how you are doing. Do not be discouraged.

Congratulations on the amazing correction!

Jacque's Mom
11-01-2011, 12:14 PM
I started taking one Magnesium pill per day (OTC vitamin) about two months ago as it apparently helps to relax muscles - my neck/shoulders are tight from me being so straight now. While it's helped the tightness somewhat, it does help with being "regular". Perhaps if I would have been taking that while recovering from surgery, I wouldn't have had such an awful time with constipation. I googled it to see what it said other then for relaxing muscles and ....... "Magnesium can be used as a laxative for constipation and for preparation of the bowel for surgical or diagnostic procedures". I would highly recommend adding Magesium to your list of "must haves" prior to surgery. As always, ask your surgeon's office first, but certainly recommend it if they say it's okay.

Marina63
11-01-2011, 01:20 PM
I started taking laxatives the day I got home from the hospital. Heard too many horror stories. Also, per my home care nurse, I heated up some prune juice and drank 1/2 cup (so much sugar in that stuff!) twice a day. Never had a problem. Once I stopped the pain killers, I went off the MoM.

Kayde
11-01-2011, 02:36 PM
I have been taking 1600 mg of mag for years when I developed ibs. Six months later that was completely cured. Just didn't realize that magnesium fights with d3 for absorption so now I take them 4 hours apart. But I insisted on my magnesium in the hospital which was an ordeal. But I cleaned myself out 2days and the morning of surgery. 3 days later I insisted on milk of mag and malox. Worked everyday one thing went right. Constipation can be horrible and add to your pain. I will be glad when my eyes return to normal and my right leg stops tingling. All small things I know. Wasn't quite prepared for the vision issues. But I haven't been able to take my flax seed until today. Never believed in that untilni had LASIK- big immediate difference so I'm a fan now. I need things that I can see results quickly or I won't remember if it was helping or not. Lol. Getting around more without the walker so that is good. I need to get my core strong but I don't see sitting on a yoga ball in my immediate future. Lol. .

JenniferG
11-01-2011, 11:38 PM
Good to hear you had no problems with constiptation. This could be a first!

I was given laxatives from Day 1 but still, I didn't "go" until day 9. Horrible.

You sound good!

JenniferG
11-01-2011, 11:41 PM
Oh re Vision problems. Did your surgeon warn you about this? Mind did. He said it's a complication from being face down for many hours. When I woke up in ICU I couldn't see, my face was so swollen, my eyes were shut. It wasn't until next morning I could open them slightly, after a night on my back. Fortunately, I didn't get the blurred vision problems. It's not something I've read about here, but it's a known problem after this surgery.

jrnyc
11-02-2011, 12:31 AM
cover bandages with saran wrap or a plastic bag wrapped around...use water proof tape to seal the saran wrap or bag....keep the bandages clean and dry...safe from infection...

jess