Speaking of Hair...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of Hair...

Is it true that it will be falling out like crazy after the surgery, from the long anesthesia? Please, someone tell me no!
    Stephanie, age 56
    Diagnosed age 8
    Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
    Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
    Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
    Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
    Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
    Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

No Loss of Hair-10 Hour Surgery

Stephanie,
    I had read the same thing before my surgery and added it to the list of things I worried about since I don't have thick hair. I started taking biotin before my surgery and still take it. Thankfully, I did not notice any difference at all in the thickness of my hair after surgery. I have no idea if the biotin actually helped or not, but I didn't notice any loss of hair.
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

I didn't lose any hair, but my fingernails started lifting up from the nail beds. Biotin helped, but in high doses.
      Sally
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

From all of my surgeries, two of which were over 10 hours long, I have not noticed any problems with my hair or my nails
        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Whew. Thank you. It seems silly to worry about hair at a time like this, but as a friend who lost hers from chemo once said to me, "We like our hair."
          Stephanie, age 56
          Diagnosed age 8
          Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.

Comment

Hair loss has been an issue for me after big surgeries/illnesses, but was not an issue with my most recent surgeries.
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Because you might want to take the Biotin, I hate to tell you but I did lose some starting about 5-6 month mark. Mine was a 10 hour surgery. I started finally taking some massive doses of Biotin and it did eventually help. Check it out at GNC or some health store. The lady I talked to had had chemo and suggested about 5,000 units?? I can't remember how they were measured. I still use it at times when it seems to be coming out more like it has just recently. Maybe I'm just having a fall shedding! Janet
              Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
              Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
              Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
              Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
              T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

I had my surgery in June, and my hair is still coming out by the handful every time I wash or brush it. The good news is, it doesn't feel much thinner, so I must be growing new hair to replace it.
                Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
                T54/L72
                Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
                Gained 2 inches!
                Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
                12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
                Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

My dermatologist did tell me that it is a potential and not uncommon side effect of long anesthesia. I guess I'll just have to see what happens. I'll get some Biotin, thanks for that suggestion.
                  Stephanie, age 56
                  Diagnosed age 8

Comment

Working...
                  X