Bmp ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bmp ?

Would someone please explain to me, what BMP is. I'm new to this site, I have read some references to BMP. Since I am exploring " surgery or not"....I'd like to know what this is.
    I'll be thankful for any replies....Kootenaygal

Here is some info from my blog about BMP:

BMP (bone morphogentic protein to build a stronger fusion) is a material that gives a 23% stronger, faster fusion and Dr. Lenke won't do any surgery without (think of it as super glue). BMP comes in a kit and each kit costs between $10k - $12k. Lenke said I will need 6 kits. Most insurance companies deny BMP because of the cost. Washington University Barnes Jewish Hospital has been absorbing the cost for patients; this is where I'll have surgery. The hospital and Dr. Lenke feel that the benefits of BMP keep patients from having future fusion issues and result in faster recovery.

Warmly,
    Doreen
    44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
    Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
    2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

BMP is actually the substance that the body makes to build bone. In orthopedic surgery, synthetically made BMP is used to enhance fusion.
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
      X