Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medications

Hi to Everyone,

Friday I will have my two month post surgery visit probably with the Physicians Assistant, not the surgeon himself. Oh well, she's a nice person.

Anyway, I still am taking some pain medication every four hours but have been trying to wean myself off the Hydrocodon-Acetaminophen (vicodin) and onto more straight Tylenol. Only sporatically using the vicodin (down to 1/2 or 1/3 a tablet once in a while). I take a valium once at bedtime as it seems my muscles by the end of the day wage war on my back.

I read the Tylenol bottle and it states the most tablets I should take in a 24 hour period is 8 (each tablet is 500 mg). I know it is hard on the liver, so no adult beverages for me. :-(

We can't take NSAIDs, and one tylenol doesn't really cut it--even for four hours. Is there another pain reliever, even prescription, that I can ask the PA about?

Just curious what others are using as they go through the months post surgery.

Thanks!
    Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
    Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
    Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
    Dr. Charles Edwards, II
    The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
    Before and after xrays:
    http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Pain Killers

I am 14 weeks post surgery. I remember going through all the same things you are. Weaning off of the Oxycodone and then the Hydrocodone. Then the extra strength Tylenol. You are right, you aren't supposed to take more than 4000 mg of acetominophen in a 24 hour period. It was scary to go off the hard stuff but I just did it. Not sure how much pain you are in and I don't want to assume you are the same as me. My surgeon's nurse kept telling me to take less and I thought she was nuts until I actually did it and I was fine.

I love how wine relaxed my muscles in the evenings so I was anxious to cut back on the acetominophen. I now only take 2 every 2-3 days. Not daily.

Wishing you the best!

Marina
    50 years old!!!!!
    Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
    Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
    Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
    Surgery 07/11/2011
    Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

ask about Tramadol

I had to quit taking oxycodone at the 12 day mark due to severe and ongoing nausea and vomitting, not to mention severe constipation. I was still very uncomfortable so I switched to tramadol. It is prescription, but is much milder with fewer side effects than oxycodone.

I was mostly done with prescription pain meds by 6-8 weeks post-op, but I did continue with a 1/2 tramadol (along with tylenol twice a day)once or twice per day until about 5-6 months post-op. At 6 months I was allowed to take NSAIDS, so I started taking advil 400 mg twice per day, which helped tremendously with all the lingering aches and pains. I remember being very discouraged at around 4-5 months because I still had a lot of aches and pains, and I was afraid this would be the final result. Actually that was far from the truth and now my back really feels quite good the majority of the time.

I am now just past the one year mark, and I generally take tylenol once a day and advil 400 mg once a day, which does the trick.

Good luck, and be patient, because you still have SO much improving to do.
      Gayle, age 50
      Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
      Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
      Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
      2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
      2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

In addition to Tramadol, there's Ultram. You can also switch from Vicoden to Norco, which I believe contains no Tylenol.
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Tramadol and Ultram are the same medication, different names.
          Gayle, age 50
          Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
          Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
          Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
          2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
          2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post
            Tramadol and Ultram are the same medication, different names.
            Thanks. I think I actually knew that, but had a momentary brain fart.
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
              You can also switch from Vicoden to Norco, which I believe contains no Tylenol.
              Norco and Vicodin both contain acetaminophen.

I would see what the PA suggests for your pain. I hope you find something to help as the pain can be exhausting as you're trying to recover and increase your strength.
              Laurie
              Age 57
              Posterior fusion w/thoracoplasty T2-L3 Oct 1, 2010
              Thoracic curve corrected from 61* to 16*
              Lumbar curve, unknown measurement
              Disfiguring back hump GONE!!
              Dr Munish Gupta
              UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA

Comment

Originally posted by lray View Post
                Norco and Vicodin both contain acetaminophen.

I would see what the PA suggests for your pain. I hope you find something to help as the pain can be exhausting as you're trying to recover and increase your strength.
                Hmmmm... after my January surgery, I was switched from one drug to another (without Tylenol) so I could take a higher dose. Sorry for the confusion. There are medium strength drugs like vicodin, but without Tylenol. Hopefully, you can get on something that makes you more comfortable, but without killing your liver.

Comment

My "step down" drug when I was getting off of Norco was tramadol/Ultram. It seemed to work for me...
                  71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                  2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                  5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                  Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                  CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                  10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                    You can also switch from Vicoden to Norco, which I believe contains no Tylenol.
                    No, Vicodin and Norco are the same thing - a combination of hydrocodone and acetaminophen (aka Tylenol). Vicodin and Norco are just brand names. (Lorcet, Lortab, etc. are also brand names of this same medication combo.) Both come in varying doses, such as Vicodin 5/500 which is 5 mg hydrocodone, 500 mg acetaminophen, or 5/325 which is 5 mg hydrocodone, 325 mg acetaminophen.

It gets confusing with all the different brand names, but Vicodin and Norco are the same thing and both definitely contain acetaminophen/Tylenol.

Lisa

Comment

Looked up Tramadol / Ultram. They (or it) seems to have some heavy duty side effects. Dang. Did anyone taking these drugs have nasty side effects?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramadol

Sigh.

I went into work (I have an office job, nothing too strenuous) for four hours, but was pretty beat by the end of the four hours (and the one hour drive each way). Was trying to use just one tylenol, but that seemed useless.

Is the pain other post surgery feel is what I call "unhappy" muscles?

I do look forward to having the occasional glass of wine before bedtime.

We'll see what the PA says on Friday.
                      Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
                      Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
                      Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
                      Dr. Charles Edwards, II
                      The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
                      Before and after xrays:
                      http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

Originally posted by djkinkead View Post
                        Looked up Tramadol / Ultram. They (or it) seems to have some heavy duty side effects. Dang. Did anyone taking these drugs have nasty side effects?
                        Hi Dollie,

While I'm not yet post-op, I was prescribed Tramadol initially for current back pain. It didn't do a thing for my pain levels and I did not experience any side effects. Keep us posted after you go to the doc's office.

Warmly,
                        Doreen
                        44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
                        Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
                        2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SpineTime View Post
                          No, Vicodin and Norco are the same thing - a combination of hydrocodone and acetaminophen (aka Tylenol). Vicodin and Norco are just brand names. (Lorcet, Lortab, etc. are also brand names of this same medication combo.) Both come in varying doses, such as Vicodin 5/500 which is 5 mg hydrocodone, 500 mg acetaminophen, or 5/325 which is 5 mg hydrocodone, 325 mg acetaminophen.

It gets confusing with all the different brand names, but Vicodin and Norco are the same thing and both definitely contain acetaminophen/Tylenol.

Lisa
                          I should add that earlier this year, the FDA announced they were placing a cap on the acetaminophen part of these kinds of prescription medications, to no more than 325 mg of acetaminophen per tablet or capsule. (This is supposed to be phased in over the next 3 years.) So pretty soon it won't be available in 5/500 or 10/500, etc, but only 325 mg.

It is recommended not to exceed 4000 mg of acetaminophen in a 24-hour period. It's in lots of over-the-counter medications, so be careful. http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsro.../ucm239894.htm

Comment

Originally posted by djkinkead View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramadol

Sigh.

I went into work (I have an office job, nothing too strenuous) for four hours, but was pretty beat by the end of the four hours (and the one hour drive each way). Was trying to use just one tylenol, but that seemed useless.

Is the pain other post surgery feel is what I call "unhappy" muscles?

I do look forward to having the occasional glass of wine before bedtime.

We'll see what the PA says on Friday.
                            I didn't have any side effects from tramadol... You could definitely tell it wasn't as strong as Norco, but it still helped some (for me, anyway.)
                            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Tramadol helped me with no pain at all...
                              side effects of headache and dizziness....
                              i stopped taking it after 2 doses...
                              prescribed for pain...though i haven't had surgery...yet...
                              but it did ZERO for my pain...
                              just made me feel crappy

jess

Comment

Working...
                              X