PDA

View Full Version : Medications

djkinkead
10-24-2011, 03:18 PM
Hi to Everyone,

Friday I will have my two month post surgery visit probably with the Physicians Assistant, not the surgeon himself. Oh well, she's a nice person.

Anyway, I still am taking some pain medication every four hours but have been trying to wean myself off the Hydrocodon-Acetaminophen (vicodin) and onto more straight Tylenol. Only sporatically using the vicodin (down to 1/2 or 1/3 a tablet once in a while). I take a valium once at bedtime as it seems my muscles by the end of the day wage war on my back.

I read the Tylenol bottle and it states the most tablets I should take in a 24 hour period is 8 (each tablet is 500 mg). I know it is hard on the liver, so no adult beverages for me. :-(

We can't take NSAIDs, and one tylenol doesn't really cut it--even for four hours. Is there another pain reliever, even prescription, that I can ask the PA about?

Just curious what others are using as they go through the months post surgery.

Thanks!

Marina63
10-24-2011, 05:01 PM
I am 14 weeks post surgery. I remember going through all the same things you are. Weaning off of the Oxycodone and then the Hydrocodone. Then the extra strength Tylenol. You are right, you aren't supposed to take more than 4000 mg of acetominophen in a 24 hour period. It was scary to go off the hard stuff but I just did it. Not sure how much pain you are in and I don't want to assume you are the same as me. My surgeon's nurse kept telling me to take less and I thought she was nuts until I actually did it and I was fine.

I love how wine relaxed my muscles in the evenings so I was anxious to cut back on the acetominophen. I now only take 2 every 2-3 days. Not daily.

Wishing you the best!

Marina

leahdragonfly
10-24-2011, 08:53 PM
I had to quit taking oxycodone at the 12 day mark due to severe and ongoing nausea and vomitting, not to mention severe constipation. I was still very uncomfortable so I switched to tramadol. It is prescription, but is much milder with fewer side effects than oxycodone.

I was mostly done with prescription pain meds by 6-8 weeks post-op, but I did continue with a 1/2 tramadol (along with tylenol twice a day)once or twice per day until about 5-6 months post-op. At 6 months I was allowed to take NSAIDS, so I started taking advil 400 mg twice per day, which helped tremendously with all the lingering aches and pains. I remember being very discouraged at around 4-5 months because I still had a lot of aches and pains, and I was afraid this would be the final result. Actually that was far from the truth and now my back really feels quite good the majority of the time.

I am now just past the one year mark, and I generally take tylenol once a day and advil 400 mg once a day, which does the trick.

Good luck, and be patient, because you still have SO much improving to do.

LindaRacine
10-24-2011, 10:30 PM
In addition to Tramadol, there's Ultram. You can also switch from Vicoden to Norco, which I believe contains no Tylenol.

leahdragonfly
10-25-2011, 08:38 AM
Tramadol and Ultram are the same medication, different names.

LindaRacine
10-25-2011, 10:55 AM
Tramadol and Ultram are the same medication, different names.
Thanks. I think I actually knew that, but had a momentary brain fart. :)

lray
10-25-2011, 02:13 PM
You can also switch from Vicoden to Norco, which I believe contains no Tylenol.

Norco and Vicodin both contain acetaminophen.

I would see what the PA suggests for your pain. I hope you find something to help as the pain can be exhausting as you're trying to recover and increase your strength.

LindaRacine
10-25-2011, 05:31 PM
Norco and Vicodin both contain acetaminophen.

I would see what the PA suggests for your pain. I hope you find something to help as the pain can be exhausting as you're trying to recover and increase your strength.

Hmmmm... after my January surgery, I was switched from one drug to another (without Tylenol) so I could take a higher dose. Sorry for the confusion. There are medium strength drugs like vicodin, but without Tylenol. Hopefully, you can get on something that makes you more comfortable, but without killing your liver. :)

Susie*Bee
10-25-2011, 06:30 PM
My "step down" drug when I was getting off of Norco was tramadol/Ultram. It seemed to work for me...

SpineTime
10-26-2011, 03:11 PM
You can also switch from Vicoden to Norco, which I believe contains no Tylenol.

No, Vicodin and Norco are the same thing - a combination of hydrocodone and acetaminophen (aka Tylenol). Vicodin and Norco are just brand names. (Lorcet, Lortab, etc. are also brand names of this same medication combo.) Both come in varying doses, such as Vicodin 5/500 which is 5 mg hydrocodone, 500 mg acetaminophen, or 5/325 which is 5 mg hydrocodone, 325 mg acetaminophen.

It gets confusing with all the different brand names, but Vicodin and Norco are the same thing and both definitely contain acetaminophen/Tylenol.

Lisa

djkinkead
10-26-2011, 04:27 PM
Looked up Tramadol / Ultram. They (or it) seems to have some heavy duty side effects. Dang. Did anyone taking these drugs have nasty side effects?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramadol

Sigh.

I went into work (I have an office job, nothing too strenuous) for four hours, but was pretty beat by the end of the four hours (and the one hour drive each way). Was trying to use just one tylenol, but that seemed useless.

Is the pain other post surgery feel is what I call "unhappy" muscles?

I do look forward to having the occasional glass of wine before bedtime.

We'll see what the PA says on Friday.

Doreen1
10-26-2011, 04:42 PM
Looked up Tramadol / Ultram. They (or it) seems to have some heavy duty side effects. Dang. Did anyone taking these drugs have nasty side effects?

Hi Dollie,

While I'm not yet post-op, I was prescribed Tramadol initially for current back pain. It didn't do a thing for my pain levels and I did not experience any side effects. Keep us posted after you go to the doc's office.

Warmly,
Doreen

SpineTime
10-26-2011, 05:49 PM
No, Vicodin and Norco are the same thing - a combination of hydrocodone and acetaminophen (aka Tylenol). Vicodin and Norco are just brand names. (Lorcet, Lortab, etc. are also brand names of this same medication combo.) Both come in varying doses, such as Vicodin 5/500 which is 5 mg hydrocodone, 500 mg acetaminophen, or 5/325 which is 5 mg hydrocodone, 325 mg acetaminophen.

It gets confusing with all the different brand names, but Vicodin and Norco are the same thing and both definitely contain acetaminophen/Tylenol.

Lisa

I should add that earlier this year, the FDA announced they were placing a cap on the acetaminophen part of these kinds of prescription medications, to no more than 325 mg of acetaminophen per tablet or capsule. (This is supposed to be phased in over the next 3 years.) So pretty soon it won't be available in 5/500 or 10/500, etc, but only 325 mg.

It is recommended not to exceed 4000 mg of acetaminophen in a 24-hour period. It's in lots of over-the-counter medications, so be careful. http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm239894.htm

Susie*Bee
10-26-2011, 07:59 PM

Sigh.

I went into work (I have an office job, nothing too strenuous) for four hours, but was pretty beat by the end of the four hours (and the one hour drive each way). Was trying to use just one tylenol, but that seemed useless.

Is the pain other post surgery feel is what I call "unhappy" muscles?

I do look forward to having the occasional glass of wine before bedtime.

We'll see what the PA says on Friday.
I didn't have any side effects from tramadol... You could definitely tell it wasn't as strong as Norco, but it still helped some (for me, anyway.)

jrnyc
10-27-2011, 02:31 AM
Tramadol helped me with no pain at all...
side effects of headache and dizziness....
i stopped taking it after 2 doses...
prescribed for pain...though i haven't had surgery...yet...
but it did ZERO for my pain...
just made me feel crappy

jess

mabeckoff
10-27-2011, 08:35 AM
Tramadol did not help me before my first surgery last May 2010 or afterwards

I did not have any side effects.

It did nothing either way

Good luck

SpineTime
10-27-2011, 10:57 PM

I use Tramadol/Ultram from time to time. For me, it definitely helps more than any of the over-the-counter meds, but it doesn't help quite as much as Vicodin. It makes me pretty drowsy when I take it, and if I take it for several days in a row (only taking 1 or 2 in a day) it seems to have a cumulative effect and I get soooo sleepy that sitting at the computer trying to work becomes difficult.

I get really nervous about taking a new medication after I read all the possible side effects. It's scary, isn't it? I will say, I probably wouldn't take a new medication for the first time in the evening, on a weekend, or a holiday, just in case I had a terrible reaction and needed to go to the ER. Not that that's ever happened, luckily!

I hope you find something that will help you.

Lisa