Flex-i-bend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flex-i-bend

I had prepared myself over the last year for a t-2 to l-1 surgery. A few weeks ago the dr modified the surgery and said most likely it will be t-2 to l-4. What type of flexibility and bend ability can I expect to have and in what length of time. I tried to search the forum but I didn't find any specifics so my apologies if I missed it.

Kayde

Look for the thread in my signature and check out the pictures of me. I’m T2-Pelvis, and each lumbar level will articulate approx 20 degrees.

I have adjusted and I’m extremely happy.

I’m also lifting (the wrong way now) without squatting, and have had no issues. That’s a pretty good test to lift a 50# box that way.

You should be able to touch the floor bending over, after your recovery period. It takes 12 months to fuse, so you need to take it easy till then.

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Ed-- I don't want to rain on anyone's parade or sound like a wet blanket... but (and maybe it depends on your surgeon) sometimes when you're not fused all the way down, but almost all the way, it puts added stress on those last few vertebrae and you are cautioned not to overdo things or you'll end up needing to have them fused at a later time. I'm fused T2-L4 and have been told by both Drs. Hammerberg and DeWald (and that is after 4 years) that I still should not bend (except from the hip) or twist. And to avoid any repetitive movements... If I bend over I need to use a golfer's bend (where one leg goes out behind you, like they do when they're retrieving a ball from the hole) or I need to squat. And I can't pick up more than about 25 lbs. And that is lifting straight up, against my body.

Kayde-- every year I have gotten much better at what I can do-- I am much more flexible than I had been last year, and that had been better than the year before, and so on. That said, you have to remember that you'll have something like 18-20" rods in your back that will prevent you from bending. My rods reach from just below my neck to just a tad above my "gluteal cleft"... But you'll find you can get around that type of inflexibility in some pretty ingenious ways. Necessity is the mother of invention, and we have all figured out how to do things we want to do. Ed is right that it takes a good 12 months to fuse, and you need to take care of yourself during that time.

Best wishes!
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Working...
      X