More problems-12 Wks Post-opt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More problems-12 Wks Post-opt

I posted several weeks ago with problems with medication, upset stomach, and an infected sore. Now I have new concerns and every one on the board has such good information and encouragement.
    My mid section still bothers me quite a bit (I guess from the thoracoplasty). Can those of you that have had the thoracoplasty tell me how long you had pain and were tender from it?
    Also my rods have come “unhooked” at the top. This is not good b/c the rods move around poking and bruising my back to the point that they may come through. They are probably going to go back in the “rehook” them. Has this happened to anyone else? How bad is the fix?
    My recovery has been much harder than I imagined. Before surgery I was very active and fit and now I feel like a wimp but still fighting. At twelve weeks I figured I would be living life somewhat “normally” if not slower and more carefully.
    Thanks for any info anyone can offer.
    Pat
    54 YO
    S curve 60+ degrees both
    Now a lot straighter
    Post/Ant surgery w/thoracoplasty 10/6/04

Pat,

I didn't have a thoracoplasty done but I did have anterior/posterior surgery done with a rib removed. I am almost 9 months post-op, I was fused from t2 to the sacrum. I still have some tenderness on the side from the incision and rib removal. I can now sleep on both sides without pain. I just started pt a month and a half ago and it has really helped. Part of the side pain is also from scar tissue forming. Can't help you on the rods coming unhooked but on the teen page I believe there is a young man who had that happen or his rod broke at the top, can't remember which. I also thought that at 12 weeks I would be pretty much normal except slower. This is a very long, slow recovery process. I started back to work at 5 months with restrictions. Get lots of books and movies to help the time go faster and take one day at a time.
    Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
    Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
    Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
    Fused T2 to sacrum
    June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
    MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Hi Pat...

I didn't have a thoracoplasty, but know many people who have. Most tell me that the thoracoplasty pain lasted a lot longer than the other pain. I think I remember two people mentioning that it was about 5 months.

The good news is that if all your surgeon is going to do is fix your implants, the surgery should be relatively easy. Most tell me that it was only mildly painful for about a week.

Good luck!

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Theresa and Linda, thanks for your replys and information. Somehow it makes me feel better to know that others too still had pain for months after surgery. I hope that my surgeon can take care of the unhooked rods without trouble. Ofcouse this is a scary thing still.
        It is always good to know that others have experience and knowledge of these things. I will just try to be patient and work on recovery.
        Thanks again.
        Pat
        54 YO
        S curve 60+ degrees both
        Now a lot straighter
        Post/Ant surgery w/thoracoplasty 10/6/04

Comment

Working...
        X