Muscle tightness and neurontin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muscle tightness and neurontin

I know many of you have commented on muscle tightness, post-op. I am 4 mos post-op, and still experiencing EXTREME tighnesss, pulling, and a tight band around my ribs sensations. Is this pretty much in line with what you have experienced? I really don't have a lot of pain, but this tightness makes it uncomfortable to walk or be active. My Dr. just started me on Neurontin, which has helped the nerve pain, but I remember reading a post where someone said it also helped the tightness. Anyone experience this? Also, for those of you on Neurontin, how long did it take you to stop feeling "drugged" when you started taking it? Thanks for any insight you can give me. Getting impatient to return to life!!
    Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
    T54/L72
    Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
    Gained 2 inches!
    Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
    12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
    Lost 2", gained PJK!

Hi Lori...

I tried to take Neurontin before my surgery, and never got over the sleepiness. But, for some reason, after my surgery, I got oriented to it quickly, and it didn't seem to have the same effect. Hope you get used to it quickly, and that it helps with the tightness.

Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Neurontin

Originally posted by Lorz View Post
      My Dr. just started me on Neurontin, which has helped the nerve pain, but I remember reading a post where someone said it also helped the tightness. Anyone experience this? Also, for those of you on Neurontin, how long did it take you to stop feeling "drugged" when you started taking it? Thanks for any insight you can give me. Getting impatient to return to life!!
      Hi Lori,

I am just over 5 mos post-op and have been taking Gabapentin (Neurontin generic) for the past 6 weeks to ease nerve pain. For me, it seems like the nerve pain is what increases the muscle tightness so by taking Gabapentin, the muscle tightness/pulling is still present but not as intense. I know what you mean by that drugged feeling. I was taking Gabapentin 300 mg 4x/day, but I felt like I was almost floating around. My GP prescribed a Neurontin cream that I now use once a day and I have been able to drop a dosage of Gabapentin. That certainly has helped me feel less dopey. I plan to try to drop another dosage and apply the cream twice rather than just once a day. I am impatient, as well, but I have to remember how far I have come. Hope normal returns quickly for you too!
      Donna
      Female - 49 yrs old at surgery
      Surgery 5/5/11 - Dr. Bridwell, St. Louis
      Fused T3-L3
      60 degree thoracic curve corrected to 30 degrees
      Tennis player & returning to the courts!
      http://s1050.photobucket.com/profile/walkingmom1/index

Comment

have you tried muscle relaxants? They help me when the tightness gets really bad. The one I keep on hand for whenever I need it is Soma. I'll be asking the Dr. for a refill when I see him in a few weeks.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I also have to add--4 months is VERY early. The tightness will subside slowly over time and get much much better. For me, the tightness was the worst when I first got off the narcotics, at 3 months. I had one episode around 4 months where it got so bad it felt like sharp pains through me, from back to front. I'll never forget that one, I didn't understand what it was and I thought I broke hardware or something.

Comment

Adjusting to Neurontin

Hi Lori,
            I am pre-surgery and take Lyrica, which is similar to Neurontin. I've been on it since March and it doesn't change my mental status at all anymore. At first when I took it, it did. I think it takes a couple of weeks to adjust to each dose and many people give up before then.. I also take muscle relaxers--Xanaflex (tizanidine) as needed at night only. The nice thing about it--it doesn't cause a hangover (sleepy) feeling in the morning so is probably the best muscle relaxer to combine with Neurontin or Lyrica. Hope your tightness resolves soon.
            Lisa
            60 degree thorocolumbar curve beginning at T12
            58 years old

Comment

Donna- Is the Neurontin cream something you need to get from a compounding pharmacy?

Debbei- I have tried Flexeril, Zanaflex, and Valium, none of which help. It is good to know it gets better with time. When I asked my Dr. how long it takes, he said "Well, I haven't had anyone complaining of it at 5 years post-op". That was really reassuring!
              Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
              T54/L72
              Gained 2 inches!
              Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
              Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

Have you tried Robaxin for a muscle relaxant? It is the first that has worked and has not put me to sleep
                Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Originally posted by Lorz View Post
                  Donna- Is the Neurontin cream something you need to get from a compounding pharmacy?
                  Lori-Yes, the cream is from a compounding pharmacy. Mine is the 8% compound.
                  Female - 49 yrs old at surgery
                  Surgery 5/5/11 - Dr. Bridwell, St. Louis
                  Fused T3-L3
                  60 degree thoracic curve corrected to 30 degrees
                  Tennis player & returning to the courts!
                  http://s1050.photobucket.com/profile/walkingmom1/index

Comment

I saw Dr Boachie on Monday for my final visit pre-surgery, and when I quietly mentioned something about muscles re-connecting and pain, he quickly said 'yes, and from all the stretching' referring to the inches we gain. I know Karen Ocker once mentioned the curves being straightened, and I guess that is also partly causing this tightness everyone describes in some way?
                    Judy
                    60 years old
                    double 60 degree curves
                    being fused Oct 19, 2011
                    T4 to sacrum
                    Dr. Boachie

Comment

Originally posted by judyat60 View Post
                      I saw Dr Boachie on Monday for my final visit pre-surgery, and when I quietly mentioned something about muscles re-connecting and pain, he quickly said 'yes, and from all the stretching' referring to the inches we gain. I know Karen Ocker once mentioned the curves being straightened, and I guess that is also partly causing this tightness everyone describes in some way?
                      I believe so. For all the years I had my nice crooked back, the muscles on one side were compressed, and the other side was stretched. Now, the side that still gives me trouble from time to time is on the 'formerly stretched side', in the thorasic area. I think I've also got a little nerve-action going on there too--that spot in particular is the only itchy/burning/numb spot I've got left on my back. Granted, 3 years later it's probably 25% the size that it used to be.

For me, it's not usually so bothersome, unless I do something stupid, like doing too much exercise with weights. I have to be REALLY careful with myself that way. If I'm not, I'm paying for it for a week or so.

Comment

Has anyone taken anything for nerve pain other than Neurontin or Lyrica, that has been effective? Anyone try Cymbalta? Its been 2 weeks on the Neurontin now, with continued side effects. I hate to stop taking it, as it is helping, without having a good alternative. Thanks!!
                        Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
                        T54/L72
                        Gained 2 inches!
                        Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
                        Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

Working...
                        X