8 weeks post-op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 weeks post-op

I generally feel well and strong; however, the last 3-4 days I have had significant pain on the left side of my back extending to the side of my waist and lower left back. It is a strong ache and the only relief I get is with pain medication. I was on cloud 9 after my 6 week check up, only taking pain meds a few times a week. My lumber curve was to the right side. When I lay down at night it feels like the muscles are in knots. Has anyone else had this experience? I thought I was on a roll to recovery, hope this setback is temporary. Perhaps I am concerned unnecessarily but interested just the same. Other than this new pain I feel that I am doing remarkably well and knowing my own body better than anyone I am satisfied with my progress. Will know more of course on Feb. 1 when my surgeon takes x-rays.

Another thing I have noticed lately is: It seems nearly everything I pick up I fumble or drop (thank goodness for the instrument I got at the hospital that lets me pick up items without bending or reaching). Has anyone else had this experience?

Regards and A Happy New Year to All,

~Gayle
    Gayle

November 4, 2004, 57 yo
    Instrumented Spinal Fusion ~ T 10 -S1

post op

This is all normal. The nerves are waking up and it takes a long time for the body to get used to being "uncoiled". This happened to me off and on for many months.

Karen
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

hi, gayle! i find that as i increase my time out of my brace (i'm up to 8 hours a day) i have big aches and pains in places that feel new to me. when i wake up in the morning i feel like i've been hit by a truck, and i usually need to take pain medication to get rolling for the day. suffice to say, this development feels like a big step backward to me. my husband says i haven't gone backward on the healing path; i'm on a new path entirely and i shouldn't compare how i feel today to how i felt two months ago. i think he's probably right...but don't tell him i said so. :-) take whatever medication you need to feel your best so that you can keep your spirits up. best wishes for the new year and your continued improvement....
      Sue

Milwaukee Brace from ages 8 - 16
      T36 degrees/L56 degrees Pre-Op
      Fused T3 - S1
      Surgery done Sept. 15, 2004
      Dr. Robert G. Viere
      North Texas Spine Care @ Baylor

Comment

I agree with Karen. It's probably nothing to worry about. An increase in pain is often related to an increase in activity. Try backing off a little on activity to see if the pain goes away.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks

Thanks alot!! Your replies will give me a better nights sleep tonight. I have tried to remain positive, but I'm sure that all of you know when one has been through what we have, a new pain can be discomforting. I could have called my surgeons clinical nurse Monday, but, I thought I would rely on 'personal experience' for this one. I also hesitate to bother her, she is always so wonderful and has probably heard it all, but I have this thing about people thinking I'm a neurotic hypo-chondriac (silly ~ I know), guess we all have our little quirks......:>)

--Linda, I have increased my activity level so will try to slow down a little. --Sue, I like your husbands theory, its very encouraging, ~ 'your secret is safe with me'..:>). --Karen, its very comforting just to know I'm not alone in these new developments.

Gayle
          Gayle

November 4, 2004, 57 yo
          Instrumented Spinal Fusion ~ T 10 -S1

Comment

Gayle...

You may find that you'll always be concerned about your implants. I don't know about others, but even 13 years post-op, I still have new pains and sensations from time to time. I was recently concerned that something had broken because my latest new pain is sort of a sharp poking feeling in one area. X-rays this week showed everything looks like it did two years ago. I totally felt like a hypochondriac.

I understand that the same phenomenon exists for all types of surgical implants.

--Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

SKiAnn, I am six weeks post op and I have noticed that I drop everything. It is really frustrating because I can't bend over to pick it up.

Comment

Working...
              X