PDA

View Full Version : 8 weeks post-op

SkiAnn
01-01-2005, 05:13 PM
I generally feel well and strong; however, the last 3-4 days I have had significant pain on the left side of my back extending to the side of my waist and lower left back. It is a strong ache and the only relief I get is with pain medication. I was on cloud 9 after my 6 week check up, only taking pain meds a few times a week. My lumber curve was to the right side. When I lay down at night it feels like the muscles are in knots. Has anyone else had this experience? I thought I was on a roll to recovery, hope this setback is temporary. Perhaps I am concerned unnecessarily but interested just the same. Other than this new pain I feel that I am doing remarkably well and knowing my own body better than anyone I am satisfied with my progress. Will know more of course on Feb. 1 when my surgeon takes x-rays.

Another thing I have noticed lately is: It seems nearly everything I pick up I fumble or drop (thank goodness for the instrument I got at the hospital that lets me pick up items without bending or reaching). Has anyone else had this experience?

Regards and A Happy New Year to All,

~Gayle

Karen Ocker
01-01-2005, 05:35 PM
This is all normal. The nerves are waking up and it takes a long time for the body to get used to being "uncoiled". This happened to me off and on for many months.

Karen

suejeryl
01-01-2005, 06:08 PM
hi, gayle! i find that as i increase my time out of my brace (i'm up to 8 hours a day) i have big aches and pains in places that feel new to me. when i wake up in the morning i feel like i've been hit by a truck, and i usually need to take pain medication to get rolling for the day. suffice to say, this development feels like a big step backward to me. my husband says i haven't gone backward on the healing path; i'm on a new path entirely and i shouldn't compare how i feel today to how i felt two months ago. i think he's probably right...but don't tell him i said so. :-) take whatever medication you need to feel your best so that you can keep your spirits up. best wishes for the new year and your continued improvement....

LindaRacine
01-01-2005, 06:44 PM
I agree with Karen. It's probably nothing to worry about. An increase in pain is often related to an increase in activity. Try backing off a little on activity to see if the pain goes away.

--Linda

SkiAnn
01-01-2005, 07:47 PM
Thanks alot!! Your replies will give me a better nights sleep tonight. I have tried to remain positive, but I'm sure that all of you know when one has been through what we have, a new pain can be discomforting. I could have called my surgeons clinical nurse Monday, but, I thought I would rely on 'personal experience' for this one. I also hesitate to bother her, she is always so wonderful and has probably heard it all, but I have this thing about people thinking I'm a neurotic hypo-chondriac (silly ~ I know), guess we all have our little quirks......:>)

--Linda, I have increased my activity level so will try to slow down a little. --Sue, I like your husbands theory, its very encouraging, ~ 'your secret is safe with me'..:>). --Karen, its very comforting just to know I'm not alone in these new developments.

Gayle

LindaRacine
01-01-2005, 09:21 PM
Gayle...

You may find that you'll always be concerned about your implants. I don't know about others, but even 13 years post-op, I still have new pains and sensations from time to time. I was recently concerned that something had broken because my latest new pain is sort of a sharp poking feeling in one area. X-rays this week showed everything looks like it did two years ago. I totally felt like a hypochondriac.

I understand that the same phenomenon exists for all types of surgical implants.

--Linda

Lexy
01-03-2005, 11:30 AM
SKiAnn, I am six weeks post op and I have noticed that I drop everything. It is really frustrating because I can't bend over to pick it up.