Scoliosis blurb at the baseball game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoliosis blurb at the baseball game

Did anyone see the Detroit/Texas playoff game last night? I was sitting reading a book and paying no attention until I heard one of the Fox announcers, Ken Rosenthahl, mention scoliosis. Apparently he had surgery for it years ago as did his daughter. I think he was wearing some kind of bow tie that was designed and sold as a scoli research fund-raiser. I thought I heard him mention Dr. Hey's name although I didn't catch the whole story. Just thought it was interesting and a nice plug for our "hidden disability."

Anne in PA
    Age 58
    Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
    T4 to sacrum fusion
    63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
    Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
    Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

http://drlloydhey.blogspot.com/2011/...thal-gets.html

Tomorrow, (Oct 8) Saturday night --- you need to watch Fox Sports to see Ken Rosenthal, top baseball writer and sportscaster wearing his custom-made bowtie to help promote scoliosis awareness and research with the Scoliosis Research Society (SRS). He wrote a nice article published this evening on the foxsports.com website which has a link below. I also copied and pasted the article below as well.

Enjoy! Dr. Lloyd Hey, Hey Clinic for Scoliosis and Spine Surgery / Raleigh NC USA

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/s...-on-fox-100611

Ken Rosenthal’s FoxSports.com Article October 7, 2011

I first agreed to wear Dhani Jones’ bow ties on FOX in support of different causes and charities, I asked Dhani’s director of philanthropy, Chad Williamson, if they could design one or two ties for organizations that were personal to me.

(snip)
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Those bow ties are really neat. Great idea! We need Don Cherry to start wearing them to go along with his gaudy suites. ;-)
      Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
      Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
      Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
      http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Great article. Too bad we didn't know about the broadcast in advance.
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by Elisa View Post
          Those bow ties are really neat. Great idea! We need Don Cherry to start wearing them to go along with his gaudy suites. ;-)
          I meant 'suits' not suites. See, that's what happens when you work at a hotel. When Elias was in traction I kept saying 'weight' instead of wait.
          Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
          Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
          Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
          http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

With respect to that article and the wife shopping around for a surgeon who would minimize post op restrictions, she could have done a lot better than Dr. Hey. There are surgeons who send kids home from the hospital with NO restrictions other than their own pain. One of these surgeons is at Stanford if I recall correctly from the testimonial. Per our surgeon, 95% of kids actually do not need physical restrictions at any point and still get a good fusion. The problem is nobody can identify the 5% ahead of time who do need physical restrictions to get a fusion so he restricts all kids for 8 months. Clearly surgeons who don't restrict physical activity in the post-op period are just playing the odds. And they win most of the time which is why they do it I suppose. When they lose they could easily chalk it up to an "unusual case" which apparently could have been avoided had the child been restricted.

The wife falsely concluded that it was something particular that Dr. Hey does during surgery that allows him to shorten the post op restriction period. That is incorrect... he is doing the same thing that the other guys are doing. Anyone who doesn't restrict most activities in the first 8 months or so is simply playing the odds. I am very sure that wife still doesn't know that.

So I am not so sure the length of the restriction period is a good criteria for picking surgeons but that's just the kind of hairpin I am.
            Last edited by Pooka1; 10-10-2011, 07:21 AM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Here's a quote from the article...(highlight added)

One night, she popped her head into my office while I was writing. She said that she had found a doctor who worked on high-performance athletes, did the surgery a different way, got people back on their feet more quickly.
              Based on his blog, he is doing surgeries with identical instrumentation as other surgeons. I can't imagine what she is talking about. I think she just concluded that he must be doing something differently because he chooses to apply shorter post op restriction periods. She really should have gone with that guy in Standford since this was her main concern... then there would be NO restriction period. This is how misinformation gets propagated among the masses.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

this is a great article. thanks for sharing!

and Pooka, I agree with you about misinformation. in this case, it may not necessarily be the woman's fault whose quote that was. as a 'victim' of journalistic embellishment myself (i was interviewed on my opinion of a speech Bill Clinton gave at my university - nothing of what i actually said was quoted correctly), I know how some of these things go. actually, many of the higher ups that i work with (including myself) give very guarded interviews with press for similar reasons.

in this case, it's her husband who is supposedly doing the writing but you know how great men are at remembering particular details . makes for a great story but not necessarily the most accurate portrayal. I doubt that was his main purpose. at any rate, it raises awareness of scoliosis, and the details can be explained by the surgeon if someone needs one.
                30 y.o female, very active, considering surgery
                08/03/11 - 54 degrees
                06/2004 - 33 degrees
                Don't like hospitals

Comment

Originally posted by patty22 View Post
                  this is a great article. thanks for sharing!

and Pooka, I agree with you about misinformation. in this case, it may not necessarily be the woman's fault whose quote that was. as a 'victim' of journalistic embellishment myself (i was interviewed on my opinion of a speech Bill Clinton gave at my university - nothing of what i actually said was quoted correctly), I know how some of these things go. actually, many of the higher ups that i work with (including myself) give very guarded interviews with press for similar reasons.

in this case, it's her husband who is supposedly doing the writing but you know how great men are at remembering particular details . makes for a great story but not necessarily the most accurate portrayal. I doubt that was his main purpose. at any rate, it raises awareness of scoliosis, and the details can be explained by the surgeon if someone needs one.
                  Good point. You are probably right. It would be very odd if this woman really did pick the surgeon based mainly on how long they restrict patients post-op.
                  Last edited by Pooka1; 10-10-2011, 05:31 PM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                  X