It's official....3 month post op!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's official....3 month post op!

I saw my surgeon yesterday, Dr. Yoon of Emory Spine. Had x-rays and he told me everything looks fine. All my crazy fears allayed. For now.

I am up to walking four miles a day and two days of spinning ( sitting bolt upright) and leg weights all of which Dr. Yoon approved of. He was pleased with my level of activity and said he wished more of his patients would be so energetic. Aft 20+ years of walking, running, spinning, weight lifting, etc. it's been hard to slow down. But I am. Am also going to go for some PT to help with flexibility, tightness and strength.

I still have the tightness in the thoracic area and my surgeon said it could be up to a year before that goes away. I'm okay with that as long as it does indeed, go away! Also, he said the stinging and burning I have periodically in my back is more than likely muscles repairing.

Feel much better having seen him. Now I have to wait until 6 months post op before I see him again. Seems like such a long time!
    50 years old!!!!!
    Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
    Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
    Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
    Surgery 07/11/2011
    Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Originally posted by Marina63 View Post
    I saw my surgeon yesterday, Dr. Yoon of Emory Spine. Had x-rays and he told me everything looks fine. All my crazy fears allayed. For now.

I am up to walking four miles a day and two days of spinning ( sitting bolt upright) and leg weights all of which Dr. Yoon approved of. He was pleased with my level of activity and said he wished more of his patients would be so energetic. Aft 20+ years of walking, running, spinning, weight lifting, etc. it's been hard to slow down. But I am. Am also going to go for some PT to help with flexibility, tightness and strength.

I still have the tightness in the thoracic area and my surgeon said it could be up to a year before that goes away. I'm okay with that as long as it does indeed, go away! Also, he said the stinging and burning I have periodically in my back is more than likely muscles repairing.

Feel much better having seen him. Now I have to wait until 6 months post op before I see him again. Seems like such a long time!
    Sounds like a great checkup. Believe me, I know all about the thoracic tightness problem. I go longer periods without it, but I think I jinxed myself this week. Sigh....honestly I took a class that used light hand weights 2 days in a row. This morning I woke up with a giant spasm in my 'spot'. I took a muscle relaxant right away and it really does help. I find that if I ignore it and try to get through it without muscle relaxants/motrin, I just get worse, and then the pain wraps around to the front of my ribs. Hot showers/hot tubs help too.

For me, I USUALLY feel good, but then I have these little bouts that I have learned to deal with.

I had to laugh at your description of spinning sitting straight up. I won't even try, LOL.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by debbei View Post
      Sounds like a great checkup. Believe me, I know all about the thoracic tightness problem. I go longer periods without it, but I think I jinxed myself this week. Sigh....honestly I took a class that used light hand weights 2 days in a row. This morning I woke up with a giant spasm in my 'spot'. I took a muscle relaxant right away and it really does help. I find that if I ignore it and try to get through it without muscle relaxants/motrin, I just get worse, and then the pain wraps around to the front of my ribs. Hot showers/hot tubs help too.

For me, I USUALLY feel good, but then I have these little bouts that I have learned to deal with.

I had to laugh at your description of spinning sitting straight up. I won't even try, LOL.
      And you are three years post op!?!? I was hoping the tightness would eventually go away! From where to where are you fused?

Yeah, spinning straight up is a little tough on the bum which is why I can only do 30 minutes right now. But I'll take it : )
      50 years old!!!!!
      Surgery 07/11/2011

Comment

In the beginning, I had the tightness ALL the time. It gradually subsided, and now I only get it periodically. THe last time I was like this was in July. What I'm getting now is more than tightness, it's full-out muscle spasms. I always get over it, although they are no fun.

Everyone is different though.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

My you sound as though you're doing great and so active at only three months post-op. My son (15) is coming up six months post-op and I have barely let him leave the house other than to go to school and straight back again. I wonder if I'm being overly cautious about his recovery. I wouldn't be surprised if I were though considering the hell we went through just to get his surgery done in the first place. When we meet with his surgeon at the end of this month I'm going to ask him if I'm being a paranoid mom.
          Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
          Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
          Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
          http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

I am at six week post surgery--and to see you are walking four miles at 3 months--wow. I was impressed with myself yesterday walking to end of my block and back. I sometimes experience hip problems that come and go while walking.

Oh well, you are giving all of us great boosts of confidence to get up and get walking! Thanks!

Dollie
            Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
            Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
            Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
            Dr. Charles Edwards, II
            The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
            Before and after xrays:
            http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

Originally posted by djkinkead View Post
              I am at six week post surgery--and to see you are walking four miles at 3 months--wow. I was impressed with myself yesterday walking to end of my block and back. I sometimes experience hip problems that come and go while walking.

Oh well, you are giving all of us great boosts of confidence to get up and get walking! Thanks!

Dollie
              Dollie, you are doing great!! Everyone is different. I was VERY active pre surgery. I was running five miles and now walking four. It all depends on your situtation.

Keep at it and build slowly.
              50 years old!!!!!
              Surgery 07/11/2011

Comment

Marina, how old are you, and what size were your curves?

I had to stop running a couple of years ago because my back just couldn't take it, but I do 5 miles on my elliptical trainer and am currently building up as my surgery approaches just six months away.
                Stephanie, age 56
                Diagnosed age 8
                Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
                Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
                Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
                Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
                Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
                Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Comment

Marina,

Great to hear you're making such progress. I too would love to know your age, how big your curve(s) were and what levels you got fused.

I wish you all the best for the rest of your recovery.

B
                  Billy
                  32 year old male from UK
                  Fused at 25yrs
                  62 degree thoratic curve
                  45 degree lumbar curve
                  Fused T3-L1 on 3rd Jan 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Mojo's Mom View Post
                    Marina, how old are you, and what size were your curves?

I had to stop running a couple of years ago because my back just couldn't take it, but I do 5 miles on my elliptical trainer and am currently building up as my surgery approaches just six months away.
                    I thought I set my profile up so it would show all of that information. How can I do it?

I am 48. My curve was 61 degrees and is now in the low 20s. I was fused T1- L2.
                    50 years old!!!!!
                    Surgery 07/11/2011

Comment

Originally posted by BendyBill View Post
                      Marina,

Great to hear you're making such progress. I too would love to know your age, how big your curve(s) were and what levels you got fused.

I wish you all the best for the rest of your recovery.

B
                      Thanks!! I thought I set up my profile so it would show my age, curves and fusion. How do you do it?

I am 48. My curve was 61 degrees (thoracic) and is now less than 30. I am fused T1-L2.

I'd also like to post my pre and post op pics ( like so many people have on their profiles). Need to figure that out as well.
                      50 years old!!!!!
                      Surgery 07/11/2011

Comment

If you click on 'Settings' on the top right navigation bar and then click 'Edit Signature' on the left you can put all that info in there so it comes up at the end of each of your posts.

Your thoracic curve is a similar degree to mine. Did you have a lumbar compensatory curve, too? If so, do you know the measurements and is that why you're fused to L2?

Did they manage to sort out the majority of your rotation?

Not sure about the photos as I haven't posted any myself. I am, however, in the process of getting digital copies of my x-rays which I want to post when I get them so any help would be appreciated!

B
                        Billy
                        32 year old male from UK
                        Fused at 25yrs
                        62 degree thoratic curve
                        45 degree lumbar curve
                        Fused T3-L1 on 3rd Jan 2012

Comment

Originally posted by BendyBill View Post
                          If you click on 'Settings' on the top right navigation bar and then click 'Edit Signature' on the left you can put all that info in there so it comes up at the end of each of your posts.

Your thoracic curve is a similar degree to mine. Did you have a lumbar compensatory curve, too? If so, do you know the measurements and is that why you're fused to L2?

Did they manage to sort out the majority of your rotation?

Not sure about the photos as I haven't posted any myself. I am, however, in the process of getting digital copies of my x-rays which I want to post when I get them so any help would be appreciated!

B
                          Thanks Billy!! Changed the signature. Will look at how to do photos and let you know.

My curve was thoracic but the doctor wanted to make sure it was anchored enough, if that makes sense. Here is where a picture would be helpful, eh?

That's a good question about the rotation and one that I unfortunately do not know the answer to.

Best,
                          Marina
                          50 years old!!!!!
                          Surgery 07/11/2011

Comment

Working...
                          X