Gloria Estefan and her 14" rods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gloria Estefan and her 14" rods

During my waiting period for surgery, Gloria Estefan inspired me. I knew that back in 1990, she had a bad accident, broke her back, and my surgeon operated on her spine and fixed her all up. I heard her on a radio interview this week (ok, I admit, it was Howard Stern), and he asked her about it. She said that she had 14" rods, and yes sometimes she has some pain, but she just works through it. I would guess 14" is about what I have (T3-L3) ?? and yes I'm feeling great.

But here is Gloria in her latest video. Now she's not moving like the other dancers, but unless you knew her history you wouldn't think, oh she's stiff or walks like a robot.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_986748.html

I guess I feel a connection, even though she never had scoliosis--the same surgeon's hands were in both our spines and we both turned out great!

BTW, I love the song, and it' one of my favorites at my zumba class.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Originally posted by debbei View Post
    During my waiting period for surgery, Gloria Estefan inspired me. I knew that back in 1990, she had a bad accident, broke her back, and my surgeon operated on her spine and fixed her all up. I heard her on a radio interview this week (ok, I admit, it was Howard Stern), and he asked her about it. She said that she had 14" rods, and yes sometimes she has some pain, but she just works through it. I would guess 14" is about what I have (T3-L3) ?? and yes I'm feeling great.

But here is Gloria in her latest video. Now she's not moving like the other dancers, but unless you knew her history you wouldn't think, oh she's stiff or walks like a robot.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_986748.html

I guess I feel a connection, even though she never had scoliosis--the same surgeon's hands were in both our spines and we both turned out great!

BTW, I love the song, and it' one of my favorites at my zumba class.
    Hahaha! I heard that same interview and felt just like you! I even checked out a video on YouTube to see how mobile she is now. Yes, very inspiring.

Oh and I love Howard : )
    50 years old!!!!!
    Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
    Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
    Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
    Surgery 07/11/2011
    Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

Great video and story! I knew that she had back surgery some years back but I wasn't aware that she had rods placed. Very inspirational...and great song! Thanks for sharing.
      Laurie
      Age 57
      Posterior fusion w/thoracoplasty T2-L3 Oct 1, 2010
      Thoracic curve corrected from 61* to 16*
      Lumbar curve, unknown measurement
      Disfiguring back hump GONE!!
      Dr Munish Gupta
      UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA

Comment

I knew about her back surgery but didn't realize that she had rods inserted. Thanks for sharing!
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Working...
        X