PDA

View Full Version : vertebral adjustments

flerc
10-05-2011, 01:21 AM
Someone knows why vertebral adjustments are effective against the back pain?.. at least in a Ďnormalí spine. Iím going to visit a chiropractor to know if it is the same kind of adjustment I do with myself.
I cannot describe what I feel around 10 or more times per day in my back, but when I feel that I immediately perform an auto adjustment and I hear an ugly sound. If I donít do it, I must to endure pain until I do it.
Something I have read about synovial liquid but itís not clear for me.
I donít know if those auto adjustments may be done with scoliosis; maybe only lying down?.. someone else does something like that?

titaniumed
10-05-2011, 02:35 AM
Flerc

I self adjusted my spine probably 5 times a day for 30 years. One of the ways I would do this was to wrap my legs around the inside of the legs of a chair and twist, pulling with my arms. Sometimes one level would snap, sometimes I would get many levels to snap. I found this necessary for pain relief.

I started Chiropractic back around 1986 and actually still go for my neck about every 6 months.

Since there is no proof, I wont comment on why it works so well, the one thing I know is that I wouldnít have made it all those years without my Chiropractors....and my surgeon cleared me going for my neck and he has a specialty Twin Cities Neck fellowship. He is a neck expert!

When I was hurting and away from a Chiropractor, I would show someone where to push, we would practice lightly, increase thrust force, I would exhale and get a needed adjustment.

Some tricks of the trade....
Ed

flerc
10-07-2011, 11:10 AM
Ed, itís so interesting and really good what you are saying. Some therapists talk about a posture-pain vicious cycle (how many in scoliosis!) leading the body to adopt a bad posture to avoid the pain and then bad posture lead to increase the curve or other problems increasing the pain..
Vertebral adjustments seem to be a good method at least in some cases to fight against that vicious cycle. I suppose about what you are saying, that it also may be done in someone with a big curve even standing up or sitting down.
I also do those adjustments when I walk, I only stretch my back and move back the shoulders.
Now my doubt is if it that auto adjustment may be done with a big curve in all the vertebras, also those close to the apex. Itís difficult for me to imagine that, but would be great.
Lately I noted is more difficult for me to adjust some vertebras.. I would like to practice those tricks.

Thanks!

Resilience
10-08-2011, 12:32 AM
I've been a fan of Chiropractic since my mid 20s. That was when I had my initial back pain while working as a hospital nurse.

More recently I see an Osteopathic Physician who adjusts me, every once in a while. My own "adjustments" give me daily relief: rolling on a foam roller or twisting similar to how Ted described above but I do it while in the car, at a light, I twist to the left while holding the steering wheel.

titaniumed
10-08-2011, 10:22 AM
Flerc
My Chiropractors would adjust all my vertebrae. I would lay on my back, and they would adjust with their fist under each level. Not all Chiropractors know how to do this, or are afraid of scolis with big curves....I also had an Osteopath adjust my sacroiliac joints with a large leg rotational move that the Chiroís donít seem to know about. It relieved about 30 years of tension down low.

I have had some rough ski crashes years ago that worked well in this regard! LOL My spine saw quite a bit of adjustments through the years. Movement happens in the spine, and can happen often.

How many scoli surgeons are there in Argentina? I know by reading Dr Yves Cotrelís book that there were many surgeons in many countries throughout the world through the 60ís and 70ís. From 1960 through 1977, he did 67 trips abroad, operating, and learning and sharing tips from all these surgeons. He learned from all these people, and devised the CD system about 30 years ago. He was a maverick in scoliosis....I recommend his book. ďIn the Sands of BerckĒ.

You can do rotational adjustments by twisting standing up, while holding weights. Be careful when doing this. I would do this is I were extremely tight and binding for a full self adjustment. Arch tables are also good for self adjustment. These cost about $300 US dollars. Great for pre-fused scolis.
Ed

flerc
10-08-2011, 11:04 AM
How many scoli surgeons are there in Argentina? I know by reading Dr Yves Cotrelís book that there were many surgeons in many countries throughout the world through the 60ís and 70ís. From 1960 through 1977, he did 67 trips abroad, operating, and learning and sharing tips from all these surgeons. He learned from all these people, and devised the CD system about 30 years ago. He was a maverick in scoliosis....I recommend his book. ďIn the Sands of BerckĒ.

Yes Ed, there are many in my country since many years ago, but it seems that in all countries, surgeons even genious as Cotrel, for people with big curves, only are useful if they are decided to surgery.. maybe also after it, but not before, except for controls. It seems that few exceptions exist in your country..unfortunately is so far for me.

titaniumed
10-08-2011, 11:39 AM
Surgeons are dedicated to surgery....We are lucky to have them. Big curves can be painful.

You are especially appreciative in a situation like mine, with no choice in the matter....Degeneration of any body part is part of life.

I am a believer in adjustments, they do relieve pain and tension.

I would love to visit Argentina some day. I think about it often.
Ed

livingtwisted
10-08-2011, 12:37 PM
Ed, Maybe this is a dumb question, but are you not able to make adjustments like when you are un-fused? And if so, do you miss it, like an itch you can't scratch? I have an Aeron chair at work and one of my favorite things to do is lift myself up off the seat by placing my hands on the arm rests, let my hips drop which feels great on the lumbar, and then push the apex of my curve/rib hump into the hard plastic at the top of the backrest and get a nice pop. Would I still want to do that fused or will that feeling go away so its a non issue?

titaniumed
10-08-2011, 11:33 PM
No, not a dumb question. After you are fused there is no need to crack your back or adjust. All the old aches and pains get replaced by surgical pains, then you heal, and hopefully everything comes out great.

Immediately after surgery, your delicate and recovering......you donít even think about twisting and cracking your back.

My neck hasnít changed. I still have it adjusted at the Chiro about every 6 months. When I get a stiff neck, I really turn into the tin man....The main thing is that the pain is gone and I can relax now.

Ed

flerc
10-09-2011, 12:49 AM
I would love to visit Argentina some day. I think about it often.

Ed, you may believe that because obvious reasons I think that, but I'm really sure that much of the most beautiful places in the world are here.
I hope you may visit this country, you will not be disappointed.

Fer

flerc
10-09-2011, 12:58 PM
Resilence, the Osteopath only does vertebral adjustments with you? I believe they are who has the greatest knowledge