Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• separate beds

My husband and I are debating sleeping together on our
    king sized bed after my surgery or in separate rooms-anyone sharing a bed have inputs? What were you most comfortable
    with?
    Should I buy one of those tempurpedic toppers which are
    about 1 or 2" thick or an egg carton topper from walmart?
    Should we just not worry about my ability to sleep with him in
    bed. He is reading the scoliosis book by Dr. Neuwith and
    becoming worried about comfort issues. Our bed is very
    hard. Kathleen

Surgery scheduled Feb 10.

Kathleen...

You might want to play it be ear depending on how you feel. Sleeping with your husband probably won't bother you, but it might bother your husband. A lot of people find that they need to get out of bed often to stretch a little.

I love my memory foam mattress topper, and would highly recommend one to anyone, regardless of whether they're having surgery. Since you'll probably be spending more time in bed than normal, it will make it just a little more comfortable. One caveat however. If you have a tendency towards hot flashes or night sweats, you might find that the memory foam retains too much heat.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

kathleen, i second linda's comments about the foam mattress topper. i really liked the extra padding when i first got home from the hospital, but it is HOT! my husband and i shared our queen-sized bed when i got home, although i had encouraged him to sleep in the guest room so he could get rest and i could watch tv all night if need be. however, i wasn't awake tossing and turning all night like i thought i'd be. i woke up every night at 2:00 am for about 3 weeks, and i was glad to have my husband close-by; i needed help getting my brace on when i needed to get up to go the the bathroom, getting medication, getting settled again, etc. it was very comforting to have my "nurse" close by!
      Sue

Milwaukee Brace from ages 8 - 16
      T36 degrees/L56 degrees Pre-Op
      Fused T3 - S1
      Surgery done Sept. 15, 2004
      Dr. Robert G. Viere
      North Texas Spine Care @ Baylor

Comment

agree with Linda and Sue

Kathleen,
        I don't have any new input but totally agree with Linda and Sue; however, I didn't purchase the new bed because my thermometer runs pretty hot and I was given the same advice as the other gals have given. We discussed sleeping in seperate beds as well, have a king size bed and we did fine and like Sue it was good to have my husband there beside me.

~ Gayle
        Gayle

November 4, 2004, 57 yo
        Instrumented Spinal Fusion ~ T 10 -S1

Comment

Kathleen,
          I was really worried about getting in and out of bed..and i was right..it was very painful , just moving after surgery..you will find yourself not tossing and turning..it is way to painful....I rented a hospital bed for a month...it helped, good luck, its just a process you have to overcome with time....
          connie
          CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
          fused T4 -L3
          Hip graft
          Grown 1 1/2 inches
          25/o upper T 15/o
          53/o T 15/o
          37/o L 6/o
          Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
          New York City

August 6, 2004
          Pulmonary Embolism
          complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
          increasing pain at the T4/5
          point irratation heardwear

Comment

Kathleen,

I had the egg crate topper in the hospital. It didn't work very well. I don't think anything really helps the time spent in the hospital. When I got home, we bought the memory foam topper from Sam's. I love it and still use it today. They come in different thicknesses so when you see a cheaper price somewhere else make sure that it is for the same size.
            Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
            Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
            Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
            Fused T2 to sacrum
            June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
            MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Kathleen,

I also second everyone's post's. We have a Queen bed and there was no problem sleeping with my husband. What I really needed/enjoyed was one of those long body pillows plus a couple of regular sized pillows for my back. I would sleep with the body pillow as a "hug" pillow. Because it is long enough for me to also squeesh it between my knees and hug it was easier for me in bed. I didn't like the egg crate because it was way to hot.

Good luck with your surgery

a/p 2002 at UCSF
              SandyC

Comment

Working...
              X