Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rib pain…or not rib pain?

some help in self-diagnosis of pains….
    For at least 4 weeks I have been feeling some pain periodically in my lower right-side rib area, sometimes sharp, sometimes just nagging pain. I had first said 'a ha, that must be my ribs rubbing against my pelvis' because they are just about sitting on each other.
    But now I'm beginning to wonder: Since realizing just how bad my scoliosis is and the various side effect besides simply the back pain, I'm beginning to wonder if I am now blaming everything on my scoliosis? Two weeks ago, I went to my gp who found a high level of white cells in urine, so although the test itself came back as negative, it may have been a sign of something starting and I went on a 7 day course of anitibiotics…now its all clear. The pangs of pain seemed to ease up but I'm feeling them more intense periodically again.
    Do I go back to my gp (who doesn't know/discuss scoliosis) for blood work?
    Do I ask Boachie if this can be related to rib/pelvis?
    at this point, I am asking this trusted forum first. What do you think?
    What does 'rib/pelvis rub pain' feel like?
    I am scheduled for surgery Oct 19 and don't want to have it postponed, hence my concern.
    thanks
    Judy
    Judy
    60 years old
    double 60 degree curves
    being fused Oct 19, 2011
    T4 to sacrum
    Dr. Boachie

I have no idea Judy but perhaps others might be able to help. I just wanted to bump your thread up so it didn't get pushed to page two b/c of all the spam. *sigh*
    Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
    Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
    Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
    http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Thanks, Eliza, I'm not seeing much spam on my end and wouldn't have thought of bumping up anyway.
      judy
      Judy
      60 years old
      double 60 degree curves
      being fused Oct 19, 2011
      T4 to sacrum
      Dr. Boachie

Comment

Before my original surgery, my ribs would hit against my pelvis when I sat in certain positions. It was really obvious to me what was happening. It's sort of hard to describe what it felt like. It wasn't painful to me, but it was a very uncomfortable feeling. I almost thought people might be able to hear the bones move against one another.
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Judy,
          Prior to my surgery in June, most of my pain came from my ribs hitting the pelvis also. Some days it was just a dull ache, or weird sensation, others sharp pain. Since my surgery, that is the area where I continue to have pain, and extreme muscle tightness. It is very likely that the pain you are feeling is from the scoliosis. If your white count is normal, and your urine is clear, it is probably nothing more than that. When I went for my pre-op appt., I felt like I was starting with a UTI, and was afraid it would postpone the surgery. I was told it would not, they would just put me on antibiotics. Good Luck with your surgery!
          Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
          T54/L72
          Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
          Gained 2 inches!
          Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
          12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
          Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

Thank you both for your experiences. My pain is definitely not like Lindas, however sounds familiar as Lorz issues. I don't want to start a whole new hunt for something that may 'simply' be the scoliosis, as I thought. However, like Lorz, I don't want to get to pre-adm in 2 weeks and find something that would postpone the surgery.
            I will let it go and stop micro-analyzing everything.
            (I am doing ok, not too much fear of surgery actually, at least on the conscious level; but a bit of a roller-coaster emotionally--like in lembo with nothing to do--yet)
            Judy
            Judy
            60 years old
            double 60 degree curves
            being fused Oct 19, 2011
            T4 to sacrum
            Dr. Boachie

Comment

Working...
            X