Naming Brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naming Brace

Some of my friends suggested that I should name my brace. Does this seem to help anybody? Did anybody else name their brace?
    ~Michelle

Hello !

I'm new here ! I'm French, so, excuse me if my english is not very well. I hope you will understand me.

I had a scoliosis since my birth. But we have treated it when I was 5 years old (because I have had other problems before). During all my childhood, I had a Milwaukee's brace, all the time until 8 years old, just the evenning and the night until 10 and many many times a day from 10 years old to 15 years old, at the moment of my surgery.
    And, I named my brace. I think it's a good way to accept the brace and scoliosis'treatments. It allowed to see the brace more like a "friend", an "ally".
    Each brace have a name: "Chrysalid", "Sun", "Tulip"...
    In this way, it's as if this brace was me was really a part of me. It it so more easy.
    I named it with differents ways like "glue jug", " my chrysalid", " my shell"...

So, I think that to name our brace can help us to live better with it, to accept better it...

But it is only my opinion...

Kisses.
    Kisses everybody.
    Amandine

Comment

yes

yes i think you should name your brace i did and its great as a code word when your around other people and you dont want them to know you have a brace but i agree with Amandine it does make you closer to your brace

Comment

Yes

i think you do get closer to your brace if you name it i've named mine after whatever i can think of thats the same color i've had one other brace before this one and when i had that one everyone called me "Barbie" so i named that one "Barbie" and this one i have now is purple and i LOVE grapes so i named this new one "Grapey" and everyone at my school thinks thats cool so i've gotta really close to my brace now that i've named it. Bye ~Sammie~

Sammie
        top curve: 48
        bottom curve:38
        with brace top: 35
        with brace bottom:same

Comment

Actually yes it does. I wore a brace throughout middle and highschool. I named my brace Herbie. It's harder to dislike something with a name like that.

Kelly

Comment

Actually it does help. I wore a brace throughout middle and most of highschool. I named my brace Herbie. It's hard to dislike something with a name like that.

Kelly

Comment

Alfred is cool

I love alfred my brace he rox, except when I think about chainsawing him...

Comment

Naming Brace

I had a Milwaukee brace when I was a kid & I named it Millie. It helps to have a sence of humor I wear a TLSO brace now - maybe I should name it too....

Comment

Names, names, and more names

Hey

My prvidence brace was Lilli and i really thing it helped but my boston brace was harder for the first 4-5 months it was Big S*** and i dint like it and now it is either that or Turtle Chocolate Box
                  Last edited by Cloudy; 08-08-2006, 05:41 PM.
                  Mák Veronika
                  14 yr.o. girl 9th grade
                  40T
                  54L
                  +rotation
                  Boston Brace since December 2005
                  Location in Florida

I play flute.
                  I LOVE ROCK!!!!!

Comment

I used to call my brace Evil Plastic Man. I liked naming it lol. everyone should do it
                    ~Leelee ♪
                    [-] 17 years old
                    _[-] 12th grade
                    [-] scoliosis, 45T and 42 L
                    _[-] kyphosis, 67*
                    [-] Boston brace for 4 years
                    _[-] Stopped 6/8/05 at 4:32 PM

Comment

Gosh, I havn't been on this site in forever! When I had my brace (the last one) it got named Barbie due to a friend and my mom! It was plastic, and I'm a girl, so Barbie just fit! lol
                      ~~Rebecca, 15 years old, 10th grade~~
                      I was braced for 2 years and 4 months
                      I went through 3 Boston Braces
                      Original curve~34*
                      Curve in 1st Brace~9*
                      Curve in 2nd Brace~14*
                      Curve in 3rd Brace~27*
                      Curve after bracing~34*

Comment

yeah sometimes i call my brace gertrude because it is a really odd name. well, i once put a green jacket on it while i had it off, and called it gertrude the green, and now my mom always calls it gertrude, although this all may sound stupid
                        I am 14

I love knitting, reading, dancing, singing, acting, etc.

I have a boston brace

My curves are 18 and about 9 in my brace

Originally my curves were about 15 and 30

I wear my brace 18-20 hours a day

Comment

maybe

i just got my brace this june and it doesn't have a name. i guess i never thought to name it. maybe i'll think a name up. it does sound like a good idea...
                          LIBBY

14 yrs old
                          28 t
                          29 L before brace
                          right now: 21 L
                          now i'm doing basketball, ballet, and piano

Comment

Gertrude

My braces's name has been, and always will be, Gertrude. It's sad, though. I'm getting a new one this Christmas. But I really need one. I can barely pull the straps to the velcro! I must be fat =P
                            Hey, I'm Laura, 13, 8th grade

Idiopathic adolescent scoliosis..
                            Diagnosed 2005
                            Boston bracing
                            Curves USED to be: 33 and 27
                            Cures ARE: 22 and 15
                            I have AIM
                            IM me!

Comment

i think you should name our brace. as a kid i had a brace and i named it larry after my dad who died in a caraccident. but now my daughter has one and named it Julia (i think she just lives the name) and my son named it "Evil Dude".
                              Annie. (61* Before surgery 8* after, Surgery 1990)
                              Mother of
                              Anna, age 11, 54* curve (surgery on 9/2)
                              Mack, age 7, 32* curve (TLSO Brace)
                              Meghan, age 2 18* curve (Monitering)
                              www.potterfamily.piczo.com

Comment

Working...
                              X