PDA

View Full Version : Naming Brace

ChelleDancer2
12-30-2004, 03:46 PM
Some of my friends suggested that I should name my brace. Does this seem to help anybody? Did anybody else name their brace? :confused:
~Michelle

Amandine
12-31-2004, 08:37 AM
Hello !

I'm new here ! I'm French, so, excuse me if my english is not very well. I hope you will understand me.

I had a scoliosis since my birth. But we have treated it when I was 5 years old (because I have had other problems before). During all my childhood, I had a Milwaukee's brace, all the time until 8 years old, just the evenning and the night until 10 and many many times a day from 10 years old to 15 years old, at the moment of my surgery.
And, I named my brace. I think it's a good way to accept the brace and scoliosis'treatments. It allowed to see the brace more like a "friend", an "ally".
Each brace have a name: "Chrysalid", "Sun", "Tulip"...
In this way, it's as if this brace was me was really a part of me. It it so more easy.
I named it with differents ways like "glue jug", " my chrysalid", " my shell"...

So, I think that to name our brace can help us to live better with it, to accept better it...

But it is only my opinion... ;)

Kisses.

lauren12
01-02-2005, 08:46 AM
yes i think you should name your brace i did and its great as a code word when your around other people and you dont want them to know you have a brace but i agree with Amandine it does make you closer to your brace
:D

davidgayle
01-13-2005, 07:12 PM
i think you do get closer to your brace if you name it i've named mine after whatever i can think of thats the same color i've had one other brace before this one and when i had that one everyone called me "Barbie" so i named that one "Barbie" and this one i have now is purple and i LOVE grapes so i named this new one "Grapey" and everyone at my school thinks thats cool so i've gotta really close to my brace now that i've named it. Bye ~Sammie~

Sammie
top curve: 48
bottom curve:38
with brace top: 35
with brace bottom:same

Kelly
01-29-2005, 11:15 PM
Actually yes it does. I wore a brace throughout middle and highschool. I named my brace Herbie. It's harder to dislike something with a name like that.

Kelly

Kelly
01-29-2005, 11:16 PM
Actually it does help. I wore a brace throughout middle and most of highschool. I named my brace Herbie. It's hard to dislike something with a name like that.

Kelly

plantsrcool
08-08-2006, 07:14 AM
I love alfred my brace he rox, except when I think about chainsawing him...

Esther
08-08-2006, 09:37 AM
I had a Milwaukee brace when I was a kid & I named it Millie. It helps to have a sence of humor :) I wear a TLSO brace now - maybe I should name it too....

Cloudy
08-08-2006, 04:36 PM
Hey

My prvidence brace was Lilli and i really thing it helped but my boston brace was harder for the first 4-5 months it was Big S*** and i dint like it and now it is either that or Turtle Chocolate Box :p

Leelee
08-08-2006, 06:26 PM
I used to call my brace Evil Plastic Man. I liked naming it lol. everyone should do it :D

stormeygal
08-10-2006, 10:29 PM
Gosh, I havn't been on this site in forever! When I had my brace (the last one) it got named Barbie due to a friend and my mom! It was plastic, and I'm a girl, so Barbie just fit! lol

Divagirl13
08-28-2006, 10:02 AM
yeah sometimes i call my brace gertrude because it is a really odd name. well, i once put a green jacket on it while i had it off, and called it gertrude the green, and now my mom always calls it gertrude, although this all may sound stupid

xolibbyox
08-28-2006, 10:20 AM
i just got my brace this june and it doesn't have a name. i guess i never thought to name it. maybe i'll think a name up. it does sound like a good idea... :D

omg__itslaura
09-02-2006, 10:17 PM
My braces's name has been, and always will be, Gertrude. It's sad, though. I'm getting a new one this Christmas. But I really need one. I can barely pull the straps to the velcro! I must be fat =P

Mom to 3
09-10-2006, 09:46 AM
i think you should name our brace. as a kid i had a brace and i named it larry after my dad who died in a caraccident. but now my daughter has one and named it Julia (i think she just lives the name) and my son named it "Evil Dude".

tersieface2
10-07-2006, 12:33 AM
hi! stasi (pronounced 'stacey') here!
i used to call my (milwaukee) brace 'bruce!' it just seemed to fit, ya know! my sis and i had named our piano 'emily' and when we got guitars, mine (6 string) i named charlie, and my 12 string i named 'fred'... lol. my sis named her guitar 'gabriel' (which is also my new grandson's name! cool!). it just seemed right to name the instruments because, when we'd play them, they'd 'come alive' so, SHOULDN'T they have names? it was sorta like that for me with my milwaukee brace! even as i got taller, and i'd have to 'upgrade' to a newer model, i'd STILL call them ALL 'bruce!' it was just so funny to me! in fact, when i'd do my ironing (my blouses, we ALL had our chores to do in the house!) i'd walk around the house with the blouses ON their hanger, hanging on 'bruce!' IT WAS THE FUNNIEST!!! it STILL cracks me up! it was most DEFINITELY NOT a fun experience having to wear the brace for 4 1/2 years and then having to have surgery, but it DID save my life fer sure! if i never had the surgery, my scoliosis was progressive and it would have crushed my heart & lungs and well, i would NOT be here writing this to you! so, i just HAD to make the best of my situation. having a sense of humor sure did help me get thru a LOT of hard times... i pray it helps you all as well..
be well, be healthy & be happy...
God bless,
stasi

cowgirl87
10-24-2006, 11:55 AM
i named my brace matilda...dont know why ROFL!! it made me closer to my brace....and it was alot easier to yell at it too. "MATILDA!! that HURTS!! stop pinching!" lol....later it became the "stupid thing"

lil cutie
04-15-2007, 01:04 PM
:p
i think you should name our brace. as a kid i had a brace and i named it larry after my dad who died in a caraccident. but now my daughter has one and named it Julia (i think she just lives the name) and my son named it "Evil Dude".

yes i think that their right about naming ur brace! it's kind of a fun way of appretiating ur brace! i named mine big blue! :D it's like when u were a little kid and u had ur imaginary friends and u named them! think of it as ur next imaginary friend! although it can't talk or walk! (except on u! lol!)