Anyone else have an MRI done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else have an MRI done?

I had an MRI done last week (spent 2.5 hours in that awful machine!) and will be going over the results with my Ortho 2 weeks prior to my surgery.

Did anyone else have an MRI done pre-op? If so, what can I expect to see and talk about with my Ortho when reviewing the slides?

Thanks!

Hi Heidi...

I think most people have MRIs before surgery. What you talk about will depend on what they find.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

My daughter had both an MRI and a CAT scan before surgery. One of the things her doctor was looking at was the size of her pedicles. We found out from the scans that her pedicles are very small. Too small in fact to use pedicle screws during surgery.

Mary Lou

Comment

Yep, I had 2 MRI's pre-op.. 3 others when I was 13, got hit by a car & cracked the growth plate in my right ankel in half..
        But yeah, I wouldn't go to a surgeon who dosen't have an MRI of your back... I don't know of anybody who hasen't..
        umm a positive note on the surgery... You'll never have to have an MRI again.. You can't =P... I've had to have ultrasounds done on my back instead of an MRI tho hehe

--Brian

Comment

I had a couple MRI's done before surgery. They were mostly just to try to find some reason for a smallish curve to progress so quickly in an adult... Revealed nothing but a couple discs with degenerative changes.
          Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
          Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
          Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
          Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
          February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
          September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

I thought that it was a normal occurrence pre-op, but I've been very lucky to have never known anyone who had to have surgery like this, so it's all new to me!

My Ortho did explain that it was so that he could be sure that there was no underlying issues that might change his approach to my surgery.

I just hope that the one MRI is enough! Being in there for 2.5 hours really took it's toll on me. I'm not sure that I can get back in one of those machines again!

Thanks for your replies!

Comment

MRI

Heidie:
              My doctor did not ask for an MRI. He used a mylogrma and
              cat scan. I am reading from Dr. Michael Neuwirth's book and remember he rarely used an MRI. He considered them rarely
              useful and extremely expensive. Your doc. must have had some
              questions about unusual aspects of your physiology.
              I am wondering how old you are; your curves, 75 and 75, are
              almost exactly like mine. I am 63 now and my surgery will be
              Feb 10. Unfortunately, every waking thought seems to be dead on ""surgery". My husband took me to dinner on my birthday, Dec 27, and I realized my conversation was totally about my back. I am consumed by reading the forum and every book I can l
              my hands on about surgery-I can't stop.
              Kathleen

Comment

Kathleen,
                I just turned 30 years old. Although I try to put the surgery in the back of my mind, but there are times that I think about it and start to get nervous. I don't want to know too much about it because I don't want it to consume me, but I want to know enough to be prepared and to know what to expect.

I did watch a show on the Discovery Channel last night (10:00pm EST) that showed a young girl (early teens I think) undergoing the surgery and I could not change the channel. I was totally fascinated by it! It gave me a great insight into the care and skill of the surgeons.

I guess now all we can do is wait and see! Good luck Kathleen!

Comment

Hi Heidi,

Can you please share that Program Name from Discovery Channel.

Pal
                  Upper Curve: 46 Degrees (pre-op 75 Degrees)
                  Lower Curve: 23 Degrees (pre-op 64 Degrees)
                  Posterior Spinal Fusion on Mar. 2nd 05
                  Dr. Boachie

Comment

HGD,

I know exactly how you feel when you want to know what to expect. I read everything I could and talked to everyone who would talk to me about Scoliosis surgery before my daughter's surgery. I am happy to report that we were prepared for the worst and ended up with the best. We wanted to go into surgery as prepared as possible so there wouldn't be an surprises and for the most part there really wasn't anything that we weren't prepared for.

Pal,

Others have mentioned the Scoli. surgery show on this forum before. Like you I missed it when it first aired. Some will say I became obsessed with seeing the show and I probably was, but I checked the Discovery Channel website weekly until I finally found it. I recently was able to record it and watch parts of it, but haven't sat down with my daughter to watch it yet. I saw it on TLC channel. Here's what you do: go to Discoverychannel.com and click on ALL OUR TV SCHEDULES. There it will list all the shows for any given day for all of their channels and maybe you can catch it on Discovery Health Channel or The Learning Channel. It is usually called "Super Surgery" or "Extreme Surgery." There are two shows: one showing a young girl with growing rods and the other one with I believe an 11 year old girl. Good luck.

Mary Lou

Comment

Pal,

Mary Lou is right. It was called "Extreme Surgery". It aired on 12/29 @ 10:00pm EST and again on 12/30 @ 1:00am EST. There is not a listing for any future showings, but it has been on a few other times when I missed it, so hopefully they will air it again.

Mary Lou,
                      I'm so happy to hear that your daughter's surgery was successful! It's great to hear the success stories! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Working...
                      X