Nerve pain question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nerve pain question

Just a question regarding nerve pain during the recovery period. I am 4 1/2 mos post op and currently the only medication that I am taking is gabapentin which is for the nerve pain that seems to have gotten stronger. Not sure if the nerve pain has increased or if I just feel it more because the numbness in my back is gradually decreasing. Anyway, I have been taking gabapentin for about six weeks now. So for those of you further out post-surgical, what has been your experience as to when the nerve pain eventually disappears? Thanks for sharing.
    Donna
    Female - 49 yrs old at surgery
    Surgery 5/5/11 - Dr. Bridwell, St. Louis
    Fused T3-L3
    60 degree thoracic curve corrected to 30 degrees
    Tennis player & returning to the courts!
    http://s1050.photobucket.com/profile/walkingmom1/index

where is your nerve pain?

Mine was mostly in my legs, though I still get electrical shocks in my back at almost 9 months post op (which is normal from what I understand). My nerve pain in my leg has consistently (though gradually) gotten less and less intense. I still take gabapentin though, as for me the side effects are non-existent, and it keeps my leg pain so low that I'm able to live an active life, do my pt and work full time.

I would be concerned if it started getting worse, especially after 6 weeks on the gabapentin. I took it and started having immediate and drastic nerve pain reduction. I do think the longer you're on it, the better it works. Maybe you need a higher dose?
    Rebecca
    Dx w/ scoli @ age 12 S curves T-40* L-42*
    wore night bending brace as teenager
    Curves changed to 50's plus or minus
    herniated disc L2-3, Discectomy October 2007
    fusion L2-3 November 2008
    Revision L2-3 Fusion, Removal of hardware August 2009
    Curves measuring 52 T&L September 2010
    Fused T4-L4, all posterior December 27th 2010
    gained almost two inches in height

Before and After Exterior
    Before and After X-rays
    My blog: http://herscoliosisjourney.blogspot.com/

Comment

Rebecca,
      Without the medication, I feel the burning sensation along my spine in my left thoracic area along with feeling those sharp spikes in my left scapular area and then it evolves into the back muscles tightening like no other. What's crazy is that prior to my surgery, I had the pain on the right side of my back, never on the left. I just increased my Gabapentin dosage this week, and so far, have not experienced any side effects. I am hoping that the left side will settle down soon. In the meantime, I just keep walking and do some stretching exercises provided by my PT so that I won't have frozen shoulders. Thanks for responding.
      Donna
      Fused T3-L3

Comment

Nerve pain

Originally posted by walkingmom View Post
        Just a question regarding nerve pain during the recovery period. I am 4 1/2 mos post op and currently the only medication that I am taking is gabapentin which is for the nerve pain that seems to have gotten stronger. Not sure if the nerve pain has increased or if I just feel it more because the numbness in my back is gradually decreasing. Anyway, I have been taking gabapentin for about six weeks now. So for those of you further out post-surgical, what has been your experience as to when the nerve pain eventually disappears? Thanks for sharing.
        Donna
        Hi Donna! I am curious to hear about the numbness decreasing in your back. I am 11 weeks post op and my back is still numb and I experience various degrees of tightness. Do/ did you? I am looking for relief. It is not painful but annoying. I also have stinging and burning sensations along my back from time to time which I believe to be some kind of nerve pain. I am not taking anything for it. Is this what you are experiencing as well? Would love to talk to someone my age and about the same post op stage to get some idea of when I will start feeling normal ; )
        50 years old!!!!!
        Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
        Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
        Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
        Surgery 07/11/2011
        Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

Electrical shocks?

Originally posted by peachrush7 View Post
          where is your nerve pain?

Mine was mostly in my legs, though I still get electrical shocks in my back at almost 9 months post op (which is normal from what I understand). My nerve pain in my leg has consistently (though gradually) gotten less and less intense. I still take gabapentin though, as for me the side effects are non-existent, and it keeps my leg pain so low that I'm able to live an active life, do my pt and work full time.

I would be concerned if it started getting worse, especially after 6 weeks on the gabapentin. I took it and started having immediate and drastic nerve pain reduction. I do think the longer you're on it, the better it works. Maybe you need a higher dose?
          Hi Rebecca! When you talk about electrical shocks do you mean like a muscle spasm? I have had that about a handful of times and it does indeed feel like a shock. I also have extreme tightness in the thoracic area with stabbing burning and stinging pains on the left side. I read that Donna has that as well.Hoping it goes away soon. I am on no meds other than the occasional extra strength Tylenol.
          50 years old!!!!!
          Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
          Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
          Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
          Surgery 07/11/2011
          Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

Lyrica for Nerve Pain ?

Hello Rebecca and Donna

I know you both mentioned that you have bene taking gabapentin for nerve pain. My right buttock has been numb and I have had a pain radiating down my right thighs since after the surgery. Dr Boachie said it is probably nerves being inflammed and irritated from all the manipulation. He has had me take two short courses of medrol (steriods) and has also had me on Lyrica since the surgery. The thing is the Lyrica really has not done much for the pain and it still gets aggravated with little activity. I have also found out that taking Lyrica is making me gain quite a bit of weight as this is one of the side effects.

Did you ladies ever try Lyrica and did it work for you ? I am going to see my doc next week about the pain in my legs and considering asking him about gabapentin since the lyrica is not helping.

Thanks for sharing your experiences and wishing everyone complete healing and total relief from pain .

Best
            Ozo
            Diagnosed as a teenager
            Surgery 06/21/2011 Dr Boachie HSS
            Age 34 at time of surgery
            Pre Op : Thoracic 87; Lumbar 85
            Post Op: Thoracic 36; Lumbar 21
            Gained almost 2 inches in height !

Comment

Originally posted by GOE View Post
              Hello Rebecca and Donna

I know you both mentioned that you have bene taking gabapentin for nerve pain. My right buttock has been numb and I have had a pain radiating down my right thighs since after the surgery. Dr Boachie said it is probably nerves being inflammed and irritated from all the manipulation. He has had me take two short courses of medrol (steriods) and has also had me on Lyrica since the surgery. The thing is the Lyrica really has not done much for the pain and it still gets aggravated with little activity. I have also found out that taking Lyrica is making me gain quite a bit of weight as this is one of the side effects.

Did you ladies ever try Lyrica and did it work for you ? I am going to see my doc next week about the pain in my legs and considering asking him about gabapentin since the lyrica is not helping.

Thanks for sharing your experiences and wishing everyone complete healing and total relief from pain .

Best
              Ozo
              What dose of Lyricia are you taking? I was on 450 mgs for three years now for my fibro and my surgeon , two weeks ago, increased it to 600 mgs and I have
              not seen any relief yet. I am , also, finishing up a short does of steroids which has not helped at all
              Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Lyrica

Hello Rebecca and Donna

Best
                Ozo
                I have never taken Lyrica so I have no experience with it. With Gabapentin, you increase the dosage gradually. During my first post-op surgery month, I tried taking Gabapentin but I had to stop. I kept crying all of the time. (One of the warnings refers to sudden mood changes, etc.) So at 3 1/2 mos. post op, I gave it another try and did not encounter the same issues. However, right now, I am finding that the Gabapentin isn't as effective as it was a month earlier. So I guess that I will be contacting my doctor's office this week. It's just frustrating, but I have to remember that God has given us a uniquie body and we all heal in a unique fashion.
                Donna
                Fused T3-L3

Comment

lyrica dosage

Hello melissa -
                  I just checked and I am on 50mg of lyrica every 12hrs. Seems like a pretty low dose compared to whatt u have been taking. I willl make a note to speak with my doc abt the continued nerve pain. Maybe he'll up my dose or try something else .
                  Diagnosed as a teenager

Comment

Hello melissa -
                    I just checked and I am on 50mg of lyrica every 12hrs. Seems like a pretty low dose compared to whatt u have been taking. I willl make a note to speak with my doc abt the continued nerve pain. Maybe he'll up my dose or try something else .
                    Have you had any side effects from it and has it helped you at ll?

Melissa
                    Melissa

Comment

Lyrica Side Effects

Melissa -

The only side effect I have had with lyrica is weight gain. While that is a side effect I can live with, Lyrica hasn't worked for me so far so I am thinking it is time to try something else. Will see what Dr Boachie thinks.
                      Diagnosed as a teenager

Comment

Melissa -

The only side effect I have had with lyrica is weight gain. While that is a side effect I can live with, Lyrica hasn't worked for me so far so I am thinking it is time to try something else. Will see what Dr Boachie thinks.
                        How long have you been on Lyrica? I have been on the higher dose for 2 weeks and have not seen any improvement yet
                        Melissa

Comment

I have had nerve pain for almost four years now. I wish I knew when it would go away if ever. I take 900 mg gabapentin most days and sometimes an extra 300mg because I just can't stand the pain. I should just take 1200mg daily and learn to deal with the strange feeling I get in my eyes. That is my only side effect. Gabapentin is generic so it costs much less that Lyrica.
                          Sally
                          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Lyrica for Nerve Pain ?

Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                            How long have you been on Lyrica? I have been on the higher dose for 2 weeks and have not seen any improvement yet
                            Melissa, I have been talking lyrica since my surgery on 06/21. So pretty much a little over three months now.
                            Diagnosed as a teenager

Comment

Melissa, I have been talking lyrica since my surgery on 06/21. So pretty much a little over three months now.
                              As you have not had any bad side effects , except for the weight gain, I would talk to the doctor about increasing the dose to see if you get any relief
                              Melissa

Comment

Working...
                              X