PDA

View Full Version : Taller?

Kayde
09-16-2011, 02:21 PM
I know the dr says I will be a few inches taller. I'm just wondering if that contributes to the tightness and leg pains on top of everything being required to stretch and move. I know I have a deep crease across my abdomen where I have twisted over the years. Does getting taller create any other issues or can I look at this as positive like I am getting a body lift so things don't sag as much as the do now. I am already concerned my clothes may not fit or be too short to wear. I didn't need to be any taller or thinner. Hoping not to lose weight through all of this.

JenniferG
09-16-2011, 06:11 PM
I gained a smidgeon under 2 inches and had no side effects except a short-lasting feeling of "loftiness!"
But considering I didn't gain those inches, I simply re-gained them, perhaps it was the drugs. :D

As for weight loss. I didn't lose any, but most here seem to. But with the added length in my torso, I looked slimmer.

kennedy
09-16-2011, 06:19 PM
i was 5'5 before surgery now i'm 5'6 1/2

Elisa
09-16-2011, 06:26 PM
My son went from 5'7" before surgery to 5'11" after surgery!! He said his balance was off for a bit and that it took a bit of time to get used to the heights of the counters around the house etc. and he did lose about 10lbs after surgery but he was in the hospital for 5 weeks and he got really sick of the food so wasn't eating as much as he should have been. When we got home he started eating MUCH better and has since put the weight back on but he still needs to gain a bit more as well as tone up those underused muscles. I am taking everything really really slow with him though b/c I don't want him to break a rod as he's only 5 months post-op.

djkinkead
09-16-2011, 07:09 PM
Had my surgery on August 23rd, I am about 2 inches taller. Most of my height was gained in the upper torso--my curve was so bad that my ribs were touching my pelvic bones...which I am sure rearranged some of my organs inside while spine was doing it's number.

I have lost a few pounds and I really can't eat a lot at one time. I end up eating about six tiny meals a day. If I go to a restaurant, the food lasts me for at least 2-3 meals.

You may feel you have enough tallness, but remember, your spine is stealing internal organ space and having the surgery will open it back up.

I feel like to do look thinner...and it is a good thing to ponder when I migrate between good and bad days.

Either way, I feel God is good and He has taken care of me through this--including finding a great surgeon like Dr. Edwards II.

Kayde
09-16-2011, 07:42 PM
Well I hope I don't gain 4 inches. But my spine is close to touching my right pelvis I had cervical cancer years ago and developed a food allergy I didn't know about until a couple of years ago. It takes me a very very long time to gain. I'm sure that is a problem some would like but it contributed to my osteoporosis I can lose 5 pounds just missing a meal. I just don't think I could take getting down to 82 pounds again. I hadn't thought about your balance readjusting that's interesting. It makes sense though. I am hoping that I can quit having my esophagus stretched after the surgery maybe that will help. I just hope that doesn't get worse.

Mojo's Mom
09-16-2011, 09:36 PM
Kayde, boy can I relate to the "deep crease" across the abdomen. I had been puzzling over this for a while, wondering why my stomach seemed fatter while my weight stayed the same, and I am also very thin like you. One day I realized I was being all scrunched in front, and that was to blame for the way my abdomen looked. It's funny how these things happen relatively slowly and you don't realize all the parts of your torso that are being affected until one day, you do. Or at least, that's what happened to me.

Kayde
09-16-2011, 10:17 PM
Yes it creeps up on you. When I first noticed it I thought it was because I had sat at the computer working 14 hours a day and that it was like a smile wrinkle. Then one day I was trying to stretch (I always feel like I need to stretch or straighten up) and it occurred to me that it was my back making the crease. I'm sure all the hours humped over made it worse but it seems like it appeared overnight. Lol. It just sneaks up on you

Doreen1
09-17-2011, 01:09 PM
Kayde, boy can I relate to the "deep crease" across the abdomen. I had been puzzling over this for a while, wondering why my stomach seemed fatter while my weight stayed the same, and I am also very thin like you.

Same experience with me. Earlier this year I was 5'10" and 135#. I couldn't understand why my tummy appeared to be getting "fat" while the scale weight didn't change. Now I'm measuring 5'7" and 140#. So the 5# weight gain was my choice because doc told me to gain some weight before surgery. I've been eating a bigger dinner than I normally do. I haven't had a waist in a long time so I will be quite shocked to see one post-op.

Warmly,
Doreen

jeneemohler
09-17-2011, 02:21 PM
Hey ladies!

I, too, had that crease in my side and back, and the scrunched up torso sitting on my pelvis. It was so frustrating to be slender everywhere, but have a thick compressed torso and belly. I felt frumpy, and thought I needed to lose a few pounds through the middle, but I couldn't afford to lose it anywhere else. I was 5'6" and 118 lbs.
After surgery, I couldn't stop looking at the before and after pics of my back. (The pics in my signature are 7 days apart-the day before surgery and the day I came home.) I didn't recognize that sleek, symmetrical back. And I only gained a little over an inch, believe it or not. It sure didn't look like me. I love it-it was so nice to wear a snug t-shirt or swimsuit this summer and not feel like I had to suck in my gut!!

JenniferG
09-17-2011, 05:57 PM
I agree, getting my waist back was lovely!

golfnut
09-17-2011, 06:50 PM
Getting rid of the crease is definitely a positive outcome of the surgery as well as giving your organs the space they should have.

Mojo's Mom
09-17-2011, 10:12 PM
Well, this is something to look forward to, then. I have gone from 5' 10 1/2 inches to barely 5'9", and my waist has grown from 25" to 28" while my bust and hips remain unchanged, as does my weight, at 120. Actually, I'm lighter than I was a few years ago, even though I have no waist. I'm hoping that's not due to bone loss, but I had my first DEXA two days ago and that will tell me what's going on there.

I haven't worn anything showing a midriff in several years, but I'll sport my scars proudly after I get straightened and get a waist back.

Kayde
09-18-2011, 12:38 AM
I got a belly button ring some years back and I remember the young guy marking it and looking quite puzzled when I stood up and he remeasured me. Then he told me that my belly button was crooked lol. I didn't bother telling him I was crooked. Lol. I waist would be nice. I assume all my dress suits wil have to be let out on the right sides where I had them taken in. I hope to be able to wear a wiggle dress and something with the back out after the surgery. Due to the osteoporosis and my curve getting worse I lost an inch of height just in a couple of years. If I stretch I wish it would stretch my cellulite smooth too. There has to be more up sides to the surgery. With my date approaching it is hard to not think of the what if's. Which is never good.

golfnut
09-18-2011, 09:32 AM
I'm not one who loves to shop, however, it's so nice to be able to try on clothes that aren't loose fitting. I started a thread this summer that stated "shopping for a swimsuit was not painful for the first time in 20 years".
"what if" thoughts are normal and can drive you crazy. We all had them. Try to focus on all of the positive outcomes of the surgery and look to the future. I remember planting tulip bulbs last fall with the thought that when they come up in the spring that i will be several months post op and well on my way to recovery. I also reread David Wolpert's book right before my surgery and posted some encouraging statements from the book in the bedroom to keep my mind thinking positive thoughts immediately after surgery when I expected to feel lousy. It seems kind of corny, but it worked for me. I put Chicago's "Feeling Stronger Every Day" on my Ipod.

djkinkead
09-18-2011, 03:08 PM
It's been almost four weeks since my surgery and I can tell I am getting stronger everyday. I will still have a bit of a rib hump, but nothing like what I had before.

When Golfnut mentioned about new clothes it brought to mind seeing pictures of myself at last year's Christmas party and I had worn this oversized fluffy red sweater and there was a picture of myself where it hit me: my body was basically a square: there was no length, there was no waist....

I have always purchased loose fitting clothes and will be curious when I start to heal to the point where I need to get out again, if I will be able to make different choices.

As your surgery date approaches, just remember it is true: everyday gets better.

mabeckoff
09-18-2011, 04:08 PM
I love looking at myself in the mirror. My shoulders are straight and I look normal

JenniferG
09-18-2011, 06:06 PM
You've earned it Melissa!

Kayde
09-18-2011, 06:31 PM
It's nit corny. I did something similar when I had cervical cancer. It got me thru. I put a poster up that I focused on everyday to remind myself to be strong and what I needed to feel from the inside. Doing the same already to be able to not chicken out of the surgery. A waist anspd a swim suit tight fitting clothes an evening gown with the back out. All things to look forward to, I just hope I can still dance and flex and feel better than I do now. I can no longer do small things I used to do without being in pain. Makes you feel quite useless around the house

Lue
09-18-2011, 06:34 PM
Hi, I am 68 years old, had revision surgery May, & June, I am 3 inches taller, no belly, no lump on my back,no PAIN and straight. and I love it. closes fit better, and at the poll I friends told me I look like a model, my younger years I was 5'9, the week before surgery I was 5'5", I am 5'8" now. good luck to you, Lu

Kayde
09-18-2011, 07:25 PM
That's awesome. Do you mind telling me why you had to have the revision surgery. I have been curios as to how many years an original surgery lasts. I can't even remember myself when people weren't trying to straighten my clothes or wearing big puffy sweaters. And if I did wear something tight I would say I was cold and wore a sweater over it And in 80 degree weather that stands out. No way to be un-noticed. It takes a while for people to notice but when the do their curious comments make you more self conscience. I will be happy to be straight again, breath normal and not have to do the how crooked does this make me look game when I shop. I hope I will be well enough to shop for Christmas. :). Idk how long befre you can ride in a car but I hope to get to a mall before too long.

mabeckoff
09-18-2011, 08:51 PM
You've earned it Melissa!

Thanks for nice comment

Mojo's Mom
09-18-2011, 09:25 PM
I know I lived in a good deal of denial over the last 5 to 10 years, when I could feel my body changing, knew the hump was getting bigger, but just couldn't face reality. I stopped looking at my rear view in mirrors, stopped wearing certain kinds of clothes, nothing with a waist for sure, stopped wearing bikinis, etc. My first reality check came when I found myself in a store dressing room that had mirrors designed to show the back view, and I was trying on lingerie. I hadn't seen my back full-on in some years, and I thought I would pass out and left the store in tears.

My most recent reality check came when my bridesmaid dress came in the mail (yes, a bridesmaid at 53, how silly), a fitted strapless gown, and although the bust fit was right and hips didn't matter because the skirt A-lined out from the waist, I could barely get it zipped! I couldn't understand it at first, and then I realized, it was because I have NO WAIST, and the dress did. A size 6, and I usually wear a 2 or 4. I had to do some creative alterations to make it wearable. And I know I would have had no trouble with it even 5 years ago.

I know if I can just have a good recovery and everything goes as it should, there will be things to look forward to from my surgery next Spring...but it's no less scary for knowing that.

golfnut
09-18-2011, 10:35 PM
Kayde and Stephanie,
I know that no one has this major surgery for cosmetic reasons, however, I am thrilled with my new "normal" look that non-scoli people take for granted. I know what you mean about the reality of looking at your body in a three-way mirror. It used to really upset me. Now, I am proud to be taller and straighter.
I finally asked my husband after my surgery if he had people question him about what was wrong with my back before I had surgery and he replied, "Yes, often." I never even told my best friends that I had scoliosis until I scheduled my surgery. You'll be so relieved when it's all over and you are "on the other side". My recovery has been waaaaaaay better than I anticipated.

Lue
09-19-2011, 12:29 PM
Hi, Kayled I hope you ask me this question, I had surgery in 2002, all was well till 2009, sometimes rods and things put pressure on other parts of spine, and I got flatback & saggital imbalance. I was bent over and could not stand upright without support. and going from 5-9 to 5-5 had me upset. but all is well now. so good luck to you. Lu

djkinkead
09-19-2011, 02:31 PM
It was many years ago, but I was at a business meeting and I had dropped something on the floor and had to bend over to pick it up. The topic of conversation for the next few minutes was how crooked my back was (rib hump really showed off) and I guess after that I always wore loose fitting clothes, or with my suits, ones that minimized the hump.

I can't say I have any real vanity thing going about being able to wear tighter fittting clothes because my real purpose for the surgery was that my organs would probably fail in about ten years from being smooshed together.

The different clothes is a nice perq...

I do wonder how movement will feel in one to two years from now. I worry a bit about things not fusing right...I guess everyone does.

My big thing I look forward to is being able to Jet Ski again. No, I know I will not be able to Jet Ski on wild water, but there is a new jet ski out that has shock absorbers and if I take that one out (or larger Ski with similar features), on a clear, calm day. That is my end goal. I love just going along the water...kind of like a water motorcycle.

paula
09-22-2011, 12:01 AM
I had my surgery June 7 & 9, and I'm two inches taller-- back to the height I was in high school. I also lost around 8 pounds, and that's just fine. I'd still like to lose at least another ten. I think my weight loss came from a loss of appetite due to hospital food and pain meds, plus the difficulties of eating the first few days when it's hard to sit up much. I also wonder, but don't know, if you burn more calories just in the process of healing. I am sure I'm eating more than before the surgery, but still maintaining the weight, despite not being as active as before. As others have mentioned, you're really going to enjoy the new straight back.

I started exercising in January after a period of inactivity due to a grueling schedule, and lost about 15 pounds, then lost more with the surgery-- I've dropped two dress sizes, and I'm delighted. I'm altering any tops or dresses that can be altered, and happily buying new clothes, with waists! And, I own belts again.

golfnut
09-22-2011, 07:51 AM
Paula,
I can happily agree with everything you said about shopping for new clothes. I was told that your body will naturally burn more calories than normal while healing. I'm not sure how many months to expect it. I lost about 8 pounds and weigh several times a week to make sure that I keep it off with plenty of exercise (mainly walking & water aerobics).