Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Days and Bad Days

Hello,

Maybe I am being too ambitious. I did put in about 1.5 hours (scattered throughout the morning) of telework, mosting at the computer. My husband said I needed to wear the Teoratic Brace as much as possible when I was sitting at the keyboard and other times...so I tried that.

I am in so much pain today, I am in definate "whine" mode. I feel like a pulled a muscle. Can't even be pain free when I lay down. May actually have to call doctor's office to see what they say.

Drinking some tea to see if this gets me out of some lethargic-ness too.

Anyway, anyone else run into this where you just run into bad days like this?
    Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
    Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
    Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
    Dr. Charles Edwards, II
    The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
    Before and after xrays:
    http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Good days and bad days are perfectly normal at your stage in recovery! I remember I overdid it once in a while too. So then you just rest when you need it. Things will get better--have patience!!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Thanks Debbei!

Got a call into Dr. Office too.

Dr. Charles Edwards, II
      Before and after xrays:

Comment

I can relate!!

I had my fusion back in July. I am about 9 weeks post surgery. I know what you mean about good and bad days. I was feeling pretty good at about 6-7 weeks but then overdid it at the gym and had to cut back again. Way too ambitious, I suppose. Now I have a lot of stinging/burning pain along my spine (incision) which, from what I gather, is the result of nerves regenerating. Still, it feels awful.
        When I look back, however, I am amazed at the strides I make from week to week. It's just hard being patient
        50 years old!!!!!
        Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
        Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
        Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
        Surgery 07/11/2011
        Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

you are not even a month from your surgery....
          a huge, body changing, life changing surgery....
          i think you are doing too much, no matter how small your activity level seems to you...
          i wonder if you back off activities, if you will feel better...
          please...give your body a chance to rest and heal...
          i think you are trying too much too soon...
          sitting requires muscle control...it can make anyone's back sore.....
          so after surgery, it is more of a strain than ever....

hope you feel better...

jess
          Last edited by jrnyc; 09-14-2011, 06:27 PM.

Comment

You are all right

I need to realize my body is making some huge changes--and it needs to "knit one perl two" as it tries to fuse. My husband calls me the director of everything which means I am in constant motion.

I need to go dig out the tirarra I got for one of my dogs and wear it around the house to get me more into "princess" mode.

Tomorrow we get the new "spine friendly" car tomorrow: A Toyota Venza: assembled in Kentucky along with 70% of its components. Toyota is offering 0% financing on the remaining 2011's, so who can pass on that deal. Will miss my VW Diesel Jetta wagon: good by 43 MPG....dang.

Thanks to everyone for your encouragement....I need to keep in the slow lane...and not drive the new car yet. Absolutely do not have the brain cells to try that activity.

Dr. Charles Edwards, II
            Before and after xrays:

Comment

Yes, be patient. It's hard for most of us, but necessary. I didn't do much more than walk laps in our house for the first month. I think it's important to be conservative in the beginning.
              Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
              Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
              70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
              Rib Hump-GONE!
              Age-60 at the time of surgery
              Now 66
              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
              Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
              Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
              tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
              http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Good and bad days

Hi,
                I'm five weeks post-op and doing pretty well but I have noticed if I do more on a day I am extremely fatigued the next day and more tight across the back. A few days ago I went to a morning movie, coffee with a friend, had a one hr work appointment (although not officially back yet), went out for dinner, and was thinking...gee I'm good". The next day I didn't get out of my P.J's and was extremely tired", dozing on and off. I realized I just have to pace myself as there is a lot going on behind the scenes.
                Take care, I must admit I like being a bit of a princess but others don't cooperate and I'm just not bossy...maybe my next life!
                Kelly
                Progress 1 hr Nth of Sydney, Australia
                49 yrs
                55 deg thorocolumbar
                Fused T9 to L3, Aug 11th 2011

Comment

Kelly,
                  I'm sure you over did it. I think it's natural that we want to go at our pre-surgery fast pace as soon as possible, but the body just isn't ready yet. It sounds like you're doing well!
                  Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                  Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                  70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                  Rib Hump-GONE!
                  Age-60 at the time of surgery
                  Now 66
                  Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                  Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                  Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                  Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                  tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                  http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

It is so easy to be fooled into thinking you're feeling well enough to do more than you should be. Please take it easy. Let your poor body mend. Do some short walks and eat lots of protein! Before you know it, your body will be stronger and less sore and you will be back doing the things you love doing.

Oh, and congrats with your new car! I love the look of the Toyota Venza. You will be much more confortable in it, I'm sure. I was looking at that crossover but decided on the Kia Sorento.

Hang in there, it gets better.
                    Laurie
                    Age 57
                    Posterior fusion w/thoracoplasty T2-L3 Oct 1, 2010
                    Thoracic curve corrected from 61* to 16*
                    Lumbar curve, unknown measurement
                    Disfiguring back hump GONE!!
                    Dr Munish Gupta
                    UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA

Comment

Originally posted by Marina63 View Post
                      I had my fusion back in July. I am about 9 weeks post surgery. I know what you mean about good and bad days. I was feeling pretty good at about 6-7 weeks but then overdid it at the gym and had to cut back again. Way too ambitious, I suppose. Now I have a lot of stinging/burning pain along my spine (incision) which, from what I gather, is the result of nerves regenerating. Still, it feels awful.
                      When I look back, however, I am amazed at the strides I make from week to week. It's just hard being patient
                      This post really caught my eye. May I ask what on earth are you doing at the gym 6-7 weeks post-op? Does your surgeon know or did he clear you to go to the gym? Many of us aren't even cleared for Physical Therapy until six months. Maybe you are a teenager and heal much faster than adults, I just don't know. Please fill in some details for me and for others who might think its OK to go to the gym so soon.
                      Sally
                      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Please be careful!! I don't know much but am pretty sure that your spine is FRAGILE at 9 weeks post-op. Always check with your doctor regarding even vaguely strenuous activity.

djkinkead, I hope you're doing better now!

B
                        Billy
                        32 year old male from UK
                        Fused at 25yrs
                        62 degree thoratic curve
                        45 degree lumbar curve
                        Fused T3-L1 on 3rd Jan 2012

Comment

Busy being a princess now

Still haven't donned tierra yet, but I am pushing myself to take it easy.

Right now I find my life revolves a bit around the pain meds. I sleep for 1/2 to 3/4 hour after taking them, then I can be a bit active (maybe do computer work or walk some laps around house) for a while then lay down and rest.

Found out if I do not time my meds right and go out to dinner, my most wonderful husband ends up eating dinner with a cranky wife. Lesson learned.

Netflix is a great diversion--going through the Lost series.

Also, I really like that we have the Toyota Venza--I can get in and out without any help and without turning my body into a weird shape.

I am trying very hard to remember whenever I turn my body that I want my spine cells to FUSE!!!!

Best wishes to all!

Dr. Charles Edwards, II
                          Before and after xrays:

Comment

Originally posted by djkinkead View Post
                            Still haven't donned tierra yet, but I am pushing myself to take it easy.

Right now I find my life revolves a bit around the pain meds. I sleep for 1/2 to 3/4 hour after taking them, then I can be a bit active (maybe do computer work or walk some laps around house) for a while then lay down and rest.

Found out if I do not time my meds right and go out to dinner, my most wonderful husband ends up eating dinner with a cranky wife. Lesson learned.

Netflix is a great diversion--going through the Lost series.

Also, I really like that we have the Toyota Venza--I can get in and out without any help and without turning my body into a weird shape.

I am trying very hard to remember whenever I turn my body that I want my spine cells to FUSE!!!!

Best wishes to all!
                            Except for the car, this is going to be my life until October 5th. It is easy to say and hard to do but it is important so I will try my best

Melissa
                            Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
                              This post really caught my eye. May I ask what on earth are you doing at the gym 6-7 weeks post-op? Does your surgeon know or did he clear you to go to the gym? Many of us aren't even cleared for Physical Therapy until six months. Maybe you are a teenager and heal much faster than adults, I just don't know. Please fill in some details for me and for others who might think its OK to go to the gym so soon.
                              Sally
                              I started PT and going to the gym at about 5-6 weeks myself. My surgeon actually encouraged it. I think that because I started my PT and going to the gym so early, that is why I'm feeling quite good at a little under 4 months. I lift weights, spin, do pilates and yoga albeit with some modifications, and more. I am actually able to do more now than I was able to do post op. Now don't get me wrong I still have some discomfort, but not any real pain. Except when I sneeze, sneezing sucks...
                              Pre-surgery 5/27/11
                              Thoracic 48
                              Lumbar 31
                              Boston Brace from 1992-93
                              Post surgery
                              Thoracic less than 10
                              Lumbar 0

Comment

Working...
                              X