Surgery for kyphosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery for kyphosis

I'm a 52 year-old male in good health. I'm facing surgery for Kyphosis. It's tentatively scheduled for early next year, but I'm in the process of obtaining second opinions. My thoracic spine is at 75 degrees out of a normal spine curve of 45 degrees. I'm told that my spine can get worse and the surgeon recommends that I have the surgery. I don't have pain, except for some lower back discomfort after exercising or playing tennis. So, the surgery would be cosmetic if nothing else. It's invasive with the surgery lasting 6-7 hours. I would be home from work 6-8 weeks and able to resume normal activity 6 months or more after the surgery. I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has had Kyphosis surgery and was it successful. I'm also very interested in obtaining data and information about the success rate for such surgery to correct Kyphosis and whether or not the benefits outweigh the risks. Thank you!

Keith...

My daughter just had surgery three weeks ago for Kyphoscoliosis and is doing well. Since she is only 13 y.o., I'm not sure how helpful I can be, but feel free to ask. Before her surgery her Kyphosis was about 72* and was corrected to about 35*. Her Scoliosis was about 46* and corrected to about 14*.

Mary Lou

Comment

Surgery for kyphosis

Mary Lou,

Thank you for your reply. I'm happy your daughter is doing well. A lot of people who I 've spoken to are not familiar with kyphosis. That's why I'm doing a lot of research before I decide to go through with the surgery which is scheduled for Feb. 7th. I've received a second opinion and will be getting a third opinion next week from a spine surgeon at the University of Chicago Hospitals who specializes on kyphosis as well as scoliosis. I think his observation and opinion will be the final factor in my decision.
      This has been a painstaking process -- no pun intented.

Keith

Comment

Keith,

I'm glad to hear that you are getting more than one opinion. The surgeon who did my daughter's surgery was our fifth opinion. Keep looking, you will know when you find the right doctor for you.

Has the doctor told you exactly what they would be doing in your surgery? I'm just curious, because my daughter had surgery for Kyphosis and Scoliosis, so I'm curious as to what they will be doing for just Kyphosis.

Hang in there.

Mary Lou

Comment

Kyphosis

Hi Keith
          Well, I will be having surgery for thoracic lordosis and scoliosis which is the oppostite of your issue. The lordosis I have has begun to interfere with the function of my lungs so it is necessary so the doctors say. I am still overwhelmed at the idea of surgery. Are you scheduled yet? Mine is scheduled for June.

Comment

Mary Lou, My Daughter Has Kyphosis and we are looking at surgery also.

Hi Im trying to make contact with some one on this subject. I saw Mary Lou respond that she had a Daughter with the same problem as mine, same age to. I just want some info. Its hard to find stuff on the internet. We have been in the Boston Brace for about 2 months now. As you can tell im new at this so bear withme.

Comment

Chuck,

I'm "Mary Lou", but my user name has changed recently.

Jamie will be 15 months post-op next week and is doing well. Feel free to contact me at Spinesupport05@aol.com if you want to or continue to post here. If your daughter wants someone to talk to, tell her to contact Jamie at the above e-mail address, she'd be happy to talk to your daughter.

Is there anything specifice that you want to know? Besides myself, there are a couple other moms here that know about Kyphosis. Just let us know what you want to know and we'll try our best to help.

Mary Lou
              Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

kyphosis...

Hi keith--- I'll have surgery this summer. My report from the doctor said I had 80% kyphosis....still don't fully understand it all but I suppose 80 is a pretty high #.......Ly

Comment

Ly,

What don't you fully understand about Kyphosis? Jamie's Kyphosis was about 72* before surgery and corrected to about 33* after surgery.

Mary Lou
                  Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

kyphosis

Hi Keith,
                    I know it's a tough decision for you to make.may I suggest you drop by the site www.scoliosis-support.org
                    They have a kyphosis forum and have a number of adult patients who are recovering from surgery at the moment.
                    I think you're right to source as many opinions as possible before finally deciding.
                    Sins
                    Co founder Scoliosis Support Association Ireland.

Comment

Working...
                    X