PDA

View Full Version : Walking DVD

golfnut
09-09-2011, 04:52 PM
http://www.lesliesansonevideos.com/#Advanced

My sister-in-law just gave me "Leslie Sansone Walk at Home"-Walk Slim-Fast & Firm 4 Really Big Miles
My PT recommended her DVD's for me when I was 6 months post-op, but I hadn't ordered one yet due to the large number of DVD's on her web site. I felt like this was a good work-out that I could do at home after teaching when I don't have time to go to the Y.

By the way, I'll be substituting my first two days since before my surgery next week. This will be a real test since it is with kindergarteners. I hope there is at least one 5 year old who can be my helper and tie shoes for others as I know that I used to tie dozens of shoes in a day!

Susie*Bee
09-09-2011, 06:28 PM
Karen-- Since I work with K-5th graders in the library, I always explain to the K kids that they'll have to put their foot up on my thigh/lap if they need their shoes tied. I just tell them I can't bend. Kids are usually fascinated if you explain about having hardware inside you and show them an x-ray. Anyway, thy are very good about plopping their little feet up there... :)

Good luck with returning to school!!! :D

golfnut
09-09-2011, 06:46 PM
Thanks, Susie. Although I am loving my freedom to go to the Y water classes and walk with some friends in the mornings, it's still nice to get back to some of the things I loved doing before the surgery. It makes me feel almost "normal". I think I'm only going to sub. for planned absences this year . . . so much better than the 6:00 a.m. phone call. I thought I could sit down to tie shoes, but there are so many times (like at recess & the cafeteria line) where there just isn't a chair handy. Good idea about the x-ray. I will put a picture in my school bag now. I know I have several teacher friends who I'd like to show it to as well.

Susie*Bee
09-10-2011, 08:30 AM
You're welcome, Karen. Be sure to stick a "before" x-ray in too. Sometimes that just knocks their socks off! :) And I hope you find a good helper for those other times... or just say "we'll get it tied once we get inside." Our school has a bench out at recess. Or if there's something the child can prop their foot up on, it might help so you don't have to bend over very much??? Just a thought.

JenniferG
09-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Congratulations on getting back to work Karen. This is a huge milestone after what you've been through (particularly the horrible pre-op time!) I think Susie Bee's advice is excellent. I know how my grandchildren are, they still treat me like I'm special because of my rods. :D One even took a print out of my x-rays to show and tell. Teacher said it was the most interesting show and tell in ages!

golfnut
09-10-2011, 06:26 PM
Thanks, Jennifer. My main reason for the post is to recommend this DVD. I think that those of us with spinal fusions can safely do it and get a pretty good core and cardio workout. I have always done so many floor exercises prior to surgery, but this entire workout is from the standing position.