Sneaky Doctor's Bill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sneaky Doctor's Bill

I had such a great experience at the New England Baptist Hospital, but I got a sneaky bill in the mail yesterday that got me mad.

When I was in the ICU a behavior therapist came in per Dr. Rand's request to check on me. We literally had less than a 5 min. conversation because I told him I was ok. He said to check back with him if I needed something. I didn't even remember his name because of the length of conversation and the drugs!

Fast forward two months when I think all my bills are paid and I get a bill for $450 (my insurance covered the other part) from this doctor!
    I called my health insurance provider because I thought it was fraud! Turns out that 5 min. conversation counts as a therapy session?!

So I've left messages for the behavior doctor who charged me and am waiting to hear back.

Has anyone else heard of something like this? Do you think I can get out of paying the bill? I mean if I really needed help and talked with him I'd have no problem paying, but I find this ridiculous.

Thanks, Christina
    Christina
    Age 31

Wore a brace as a teen but my double thoracic curves progressed.
    Had surgery on 6/29/11 with Dr. Rand at NEBH
    Curves improved from 45 and 50 degrees to mid 20s.

Always, always contest a bill you feel is wrong. These are the little sneaky ways that our health care costs become so high across the board. Call the provider and have a chat. At worst, you can count on them cutting it in half, in my experience. My husband incurred some very large medical bills for services that were not covered at all under his insurance. I did the negotiating with every provider, and they were all willing to reduce the bills. In most cases, the providers agreed to take half what they had charged. Just try to politely wear them down.

In this case, it sounds as if this doctor was trying to get paid for services he did not render, and I would think your insurance carrier would have been more interested in what you had to say. I don't believe any behavior therapist gets paid even $450 per hour, much less per 5 minutes.
    Stephanie, age 56
    Diagnosed age 8
    Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
    Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
    Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
    Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
    Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
    Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Comment

Christina,
      The Doctor you speak of was worth his weight in gold for me because I had an issue with a physical therapist while in the ICU and not only did he calm me down, but he made sure that therapist didn't show up on my door step again. This is standard practice for Dr. Rand's patients since it is such a difficult surgery and hard on your body and emotions. Many people have emotional issues post surgery and Dr. Rand wants them addressed before they snowball and become major obstacles in the healing process. I am guessing that if you contact this Doctor's office and explain the situation, the charges will be deleted. The bill was probably sent out by someone in his office who didn't know the situation. I was on Medicare, so after my deductible, all of my bills were paid for (at a much reduced rate I must say).
      Sally
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
        Christina,
        Many people have emotional issues post surgery and Dr. Rand wants them addressed before they snowball and become major obstacles in the healing process.
        Sally
        Hi Sally,

Can you elaborate a bit on your comment above?

Warmly,
        Doreen
        44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
        Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
        2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Doreen,
          I'm not exactly sure what you want me to elaborate on. This is a major operation and many people get depressed as a result of the surgery. I have read on this forum how some people cry a lot after surgery and struggle with depression and I think that Dr. Rand would rather catch these things early as they could be a detriment to the healing process. My own situation was a problem with a young physical therapist who was quite rude and nasty to me and ended up making me cry which is a very unusual thing for me to do. I was of course on heavy duty drugs at the time. This Psychologist came into my room in the ICU and asked me if I had any problems. He was very easy to talk to so I told him about the therapist and told him I didn't want to see her again. He took care of it so that they would send a different PT to see me. He was very good at comforting me and I had no more issues while at the Baptist Hospital. He also would check in from time to time to make sure the nurses were getting my medications to me in a timely manner. He also checked up on me while I was in a rehab hospital in between my two surgeries. It was like having an advocate.
          I hope this helps.
          Sally
          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Sally, I'm glad he helped you and had I needed him....I would''ve talked to him.
            I could've used an ear when I got home from hospital that's when I was at a low point.
            Christina
            Age 31

Wore a brace as a teen but my double thoracic curves progressed.
            Had surgery on 6/29/11 with Dr. Rand at NEBH
            Curves improved from 45 and 50 degrees to mid 20s.

Comment

Originally posted by Doreen1 View Post
              Hi Sally,

Can you elaborate a bit on your comment above?

Warmly,
              Doreen
              I'd agree...the heavy duty drugs, plus extreme pain, plus little sleep will push the most emotionally ballanced person over the edge. I definitely felt major mood swings while on the heavier drugs (oxy and hydrocodone). As soon as I was getting more than 2-3 hours of sleep at a time, and got off the oxy the depression lifted for me.

It did surprise me, the heaviness of that feeling...but if you read all the side effects of those drugs, depression is very common. I think it's good to be prepared, and realize that probably most of the depression is not coming from any deep, dark place you never knew about. It probably is related to the drugs etc. BUT...it is a major surgery, and I think it would be very strange if someone came through it without having a few days here and there when you didn't feel down and discouraged.

Just something to be prepared for!
              Rebecca
              Dx w/ scoli @ age 12 S curves T-40* L-42*
              wore night bending brace as teenager
              Curves changed to 50's plus or minus
              herniated disc L2-3, Discectomy October 2007
              fusion L2-3 November 2008
              Revision L2-3 Fusion, Removal of hardware August 2009
              Curves measuring 52 T&L September 2010
              Fused T4-L4, all posterior December 27th 2010
              gained almost two inches in height

Before and After Exterior
              Before and After X-rays
              My blog: http://herscoliosisjourney.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks, Sally and Rebecca.

Warmly,
                Doreen
                44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
                Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
                2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                X