Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

stretch ligaments to improve correction @ surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stretch ligaments to improve correction @ surgery?

So, in preparation for my surgery in mid-October, I've been exercising as I can…having to modify to avoid increasing pain.
    As I was stretching today, I wondered: Boachie had a bending xray done of my spine and feels he can get approx 60* correction. I believe this is based on how flexible the ligaments are in your back (although I'm pretty flexible, at 60 yrs old, this sems to be a concern). So, if I do some concentrated stretching with this bending in mind, can I stretch/add flexibility to my ligaments, therefore assisting in straightening the curve even further? Or at the least, make the job of straightening easier?
    Judy
    60* both upper and lower
    Judy
    60 years old
    double 60 degree curves
    being fused Oct 19, 2011
    T4 to sacrum
    Dr. Boachie

Hi Judy,

Before the Atlanta surgeon cancelled my surgery due to poor bone density results, she highly recommended stretching yoga as much as I could prior to surgery day. She said, "It will make my job much easier." Since then, my morning routine (when I have the most energy and little bit less amount of pain) is to do PT exercises followed by yoga. I am determined to have surgery with Dr. Lenke.

Warmly,
    Doreen
    44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
    Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
    2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thank you, Judy, for this thread. I will undergo surgery on the 22th september (yes, in 2 weeks!). When I met the surgeon 6 months ago, I asked him if I could do something to make his work easier. I had stretching in head. He said "no, there is no way to stretch all the tissues around the spine, a stiff back remains stiff" (he was polite enough not to say "and old", but it was as if I had heard it!). I went out his office with a challenge to myself, I decided make the effort trying to stretch anyway. I have been practicing "antigymnastique" for 2 years now, it helps stretching and I don't miss a morning exercising. The worst that can be achieved is "nothing better", but who knows? I'm looking forward to asking the surgeon if my back was as stiff as he thought or more flexible! I will tell you! Anyway, these stretching exercises help me a lot with pain, which is in itself a good reason to continue. :-)
      Bamboo

Diagnosed age 17 in 1975
      no treatment
      Never knew I would need any follow-up
      Now 53 years old
      Curves in late 2010 Lumbar 70, Thoracic 65
      Has been fused T2 to L4 on september 22th 2011
      Dr. Stefan Parent, Hôpital Sacré-Coeur, Montréal

Comment

Okay, I asked the same question to at least two surgeons. One of them said, yes, go for it: "Think of it as training." The other said no, and while I can't remember the exact reasoning, I think he said something about stiff curves being stiff because of bone spurs and possibly areas that have naturally fused together--the idea being that you can't stretch bone. But I agree, can't hurt to try!
        age 48
        80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
        Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
        Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
        Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Hi Evelyn,

What was Dr. Lenke's thought on stretching to at least improve flexibility of muscles?

Warmly,
          Doreen

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011

Comment

Originally posted by bamboo View Post
            I have been practicing "antigymnastique" for 2 years now, it helps stretching and I don't miss a morning exercising.
            Where did you learn how to do antigymnastique? Their website shows the only place in America is one location in Ohio.

Warmly,
            Doreen

Comment

Bonsoir Doreen,
              I'm from Québec, and there's a very good practitioner in Montreal. I know that this method is not largely spread in the States. But I guess other methods can do the same job. What I like with antigymnastique, is that I realize, doing it, how every part in our body is related to the others. We practice micro movements, very precise and very small, and it amazes me how I can relieve for example my lumbar region, only by moving toes on a small ball!
              Warmly

Bamboo
              Bamboo

Diagnosed age 17 in 1975
              no treatment
              Never knew I would need any follow-up
              Now 53 years old
              Curves in late 2010 Lumbar 70, Thoracic 65
              Has been fused T2 to L4 on september 22th 2011
              Dr. Stefan Parent, Hôpital Sacré-Coeur, Montréal

Comment

Doreen,

I can't remember Dr. Lenke's exact words, but I left with the impression that he thinks the more exercise you can do before surgery, the better. But he didn't give me any indication that stretching would increase my chances of a better correction.

Evelyn
                age 48
                80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

I did tons of stretching before my surgery. It did not help with the correction.
                  Sally
                  Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                  Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                  Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                  Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                  New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                  Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
                  X