Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change in medication helped with change in appetite

Hello,

Wanted to explain what I feel was a big change in my improvement post surgery (August 23rd).

When I was in the hospital (and the two days of Rehab facility hell), I was on Oxycudone (sp?). I had no appetite...forced myself to eat at least tiny bits of food. The hospital food was pretty good, but the will to eat just wasn't there.

During the Great Escape from the Rehab center, the one thing they were holding me hostage with was the drugs. Apparently Oxycudone (sp?), is a narcotic cannot be phoned or faxed, but must be a direct written prescription from the doctor. To help me get out of the Rehab Place, the Surgeon's office changed my pain medication to Hydrocodon-Acetaminopen. Appparently this can be called/faxed to a pharmacy). I also had a prescription for Diazepam for muscle spasms.

My appetite was much improved with the Hydro....stuff and I felt it did almost as good a job with pain, so I asked the PA at the Surgeon's office if I could just use it. She checked and said that was okay.

So, I am eating much better and it seems to having the full benefit of good input, good healing. I may have weighed 124 going into surgery, but thanks to Susie's great cooking, I'll be around 200 when I'm done with this. :-)

I just wanted to make sure you all understood what happened and why I am eating like a little piglet.

Saying prayers for all of you who are pre-surgery and getting over your recent surgery.

You guys are all great!
    Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
    Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
    Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
    Dr. Charles Edwards, II
    The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
    Before and after xrays:
    http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Hydrocodone is a weaker pain killer, so you get double benefit in that your appetite is increased and you are that much closer to getting off pain meds altogether.

Happy for you. I hope I do this well when the time comes.
    Stephanie, age 56
    Diagnosed age 8
    Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
    Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
    Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
    Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
    Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
    Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Comment

that is wonderful... that you can eat with the hydrocodone....
      i have that, and oxycontin...cannot eat with either/both!

hope your healing proceeds uneventfully from now on...

jess

Comment

Working...
      X