Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sitting still a big pain in the behind

Hi everyone,

It's been about eleven days now post surgery and I still can't find any good place to sit without the spine deciding to cause major pain.

My sleep number bed that raises and lowers has been truly a blessing, but eventually will have to leave it. I sit at dining room chair for dinner (for what little I eat), but would like to know how soon others were able to sit in at least a padded chair for over five minutes without experiencing great pain.

Best practices welcomed!

In the meantime, I am praying for those of you still battling the fear of the upcoming surgery.
    Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
    Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
    Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
    Dr. Charles Edwards, II
    The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
    Before and after xrays:
    http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

from what I recall, nowhere was comfortable for very long. I couldn't stay in the same position, no matter if sitting, laying, walking, etc., for very long. I had to keep changing it up.

I think it was at least 2 or maybe 3 months before I could sit on a normal sofa (with extra pillows behind my back.) FOr the first few months, it was a straight-backed chair that was my favorite, with extra pillows behind me.

It will get better in time. I know it's hard to be patient when you're in the middle of it.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

The same here... It was uncomfortable to stay in any one position. My life revolved around walk, sit, lay, walk, sit, lay...

My sofa was too soft and not supportive enough. It was a couple months before I could sit long enough to watch a movie with the hubby... I found that an ergonomic computer chair that I had, and a camping lounge chair, such as the picture attached, worked pretty well as alternatives. The chair reclined far back enough to take pressure off my spine and felt pretty good as an alternative to laying in bed so much. But again, I couldn't sit for long periods of time, in the beginning. I also used different sized pillows and those smooshy microbead pillows to prop wherever it was needed; and one of those airplane blow-up neck pillows, where I could vary the firmness, for behind my head. They all worked great.

chair.doc

Just remember, that it will all be better in time. It is really difficult to wait day after day, and progress seems fleeting. But it happens. I went from not being able to watch a movie while sitting in the sofa until 2 months post op- to climbing to the top of a Mayan temple at 6 months post op! It will seem like forever those first few months, but you will get there!
      Last edited by jeneemohler; 09-02-2011, 01:59 PM.
      Jenee'-52
      Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
      Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
      I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
      9 hours
      T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
      Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
      Non-fusion
      Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Comment

Hard chairs, OK, but padded chairs, it took months. Even sometimes, I am uncomfortable on a very soft chair. I always seek out the firmest chairs where ever I go.
        Sally
        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

"My life revolved around walk, sit, lay, walk, sit, lay... " That's exactly how it was with me too.

Lying down and walking were my preferences. It slowly gets easier over that first month or so.
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I was uncomfortable in any chair except my recliner, which is relatively firm, for about 4 months.
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I'm so glad your surgery went well and that you made "the great escape" from
              rehab. That place sounded terrible.

I had dinner at the kitchen table the night I got home but found it very
              uncomfortable. I also couldn't sit on the sofa or any other chair, hard or soft
              in our house. For the next 5 or 6 days I had all my meals on a tray in bed. I
              found I could eat a lot more because I was comfortable. (I made sure I took
              walks too, though, so I got some exercise.) After about three days home I had my
              husband go out and look at recliners. He tried one out at Raymour and Flanigan,
              came home and told me about it, and then ordered it by phone. It's a power
              recliner, called the Mexi Lift Recliner (I knew I wouldn't be able to operate
              the lever kind easily.) They have guaranteed delivery in 3 days. It was pricey,
              but I love it. I notice it's on sale now.

http://www.raymourflanigan.com/recliners.aspx?pcnid=1

All my best wishes for a smooth recovery.

Mary, Age 54
              Surgery with Dr. Boachie 7/5/11, fused T2-T12
              Pre-surgery T60, L52
              Post-surgery T26, L33
              Next surgery scheduled 9/21/11

Comment

Soft down pillows are a good thing. I had them placed in many places, on chairs, in my car etc.

The first month is the hardest. Its also when you are on meds and prone to constipation which can be extremely painful. Try not to let this happen, go “nuclear” if you have to. A $1.90 bottle of “Magnesium citrate”(sold over the counter) will save a trip to the emergency room.

I found hot baths to be very relaxing and worked the best for pain. I took 5 per day for 3 months.

Hang in there, it will get better soon.
                Ed
                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment