question for full fusion people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question for full fusion people

Hi All survived the hurricane here on Long Island. I live on a canal and have a boat which almost ended up in my yard but we managed to keep power and have no damage thank god. Hope all of you are good. I have a question. I am noticing that my shoulders look very rounded from the side. Is this normal or am I crazy? Im very frustrated with the way I feel and Im wondering if anyone else felt this way at almost six months. The stiffness, pain and lack of flexibility is really getting to me. It seems other people (and I know I shouldnt compare) are doing better than me. What am I doing wrong...any suggestions would really be appreciated. Thanks guys.
    Sarahcant
    Surgery March 15
    Dr. Errico NYU
    Fused T-3 to S-1
    an inch and change taller
    nice and straight
    49 years old (yikes)

Hi Sarah,

You are still "early days" and another month could make a big difference. One thing I've learned, as you know, is that we are all different in our recovery rates. If you think you're not doing as well as others, it must be frustrating, but unless you have a specific pain that might need further investigation, I think it really is just a matter of time. Do you walk every day? Are you getting enough sleep? I found this simple recipe worked for me. Perhaps walking a shorter distance twice a day, might help with speeding up your recovery? I also slept really well for the first 18 months after surgery, which was amazing to me because I'd been a poor sleeper since about age 50, but since then, I've gone back to my old, miserable, sleeping habits!

Hopefully, another 4-6 weeks and you might feel entirely different. It seems to work that way for many on this forum. Good luck and let us know how you go.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Sarah, I hope you continue to survive Irene's wrath!!! Thoughts and prayers go out to all in need.
      I still look at myself in the mirror sometimes and think I look weird. I wonder if it's because we are so used to how we looked for so many years, is that why we think we look strange???

Always had the same thoughts,
      Shari

Comment

hi sarah
        have you written to TiEd? he often states that it took him many months...he explains which points he felt better, how long it took, etc...perhaps writing to him would be helpful...or you could look up some of his previous posts on the topic...

hope you feel a little better every day...
        jess

Comment

Sarah, it is hard to not compare... The main goal for surgery is to prevent progression. We all want to be "normal" again, and ASAP! But our spines will never be normal. We will never feel like a 20 year old again, let alone a 20 year old without scoliosis. When my mother had surgery, she expected to be "fixed". That is unrealistic.

Everything is relative. Make a conscious decision to look at the positive things that have come from the surgery. I hope there are some positives for you, and you are in less pain than pre-surgery. I choose to look at the bright side and not worry too much about the imperfections. Overall, I am definitely better off than before surgery. I am out of pain caused by the sciatica from pinched nerves and stenosis, and my curves aren't collapsing.

Am I less flexible? Yes. But it doesn't affect my happiness. Are my muscles still stiff and uncomfortable? Yes, quite often. But I expected this. Do my shoulders round forward more and my upper body pitch forward when I'm really tired or at the end of a long day? Yes. (I'm much better in the morning when I stand nice and straight and tall) Do I still have surgical aches and pains? Yes, But we are still very early in our recoveries, and I expected to feel this way for at least one year, possibly up to 2 years.
          But I still do things and not let it stop me from living-and enjoying, even relishing!- my life. This is how I keep positive and keep my mind in check. You will get there. We just went through MAJOR surgery, and our bodies were completely rearranged. No wonder we feel all these things for so long afterwards! Take it a day at a time, and it will get better.
          Jenee'-52
          Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
          Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
          I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
          9 hours
          T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
          Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
          Non-fusion
          Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Comment

thanks for all of the positive feedback just going through some lows right now....will keep posted thanks
            Sarahcant
            Surgery March 15
            Dr. Errico NYU
            Fused T-3 to S-1
            an inch and change taller
            nice and straight
            49 years old (yikes)

Comment

I think it's all about expectations. I'm fused T4-S1, and am actually a little surprised at how flexible I am. I can't do everything a person with a normal spine can do, but I didn't expect it would be that way. To me, the loss of flexibility was a small price to pay for getting rid of the pain.

--Linda
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
              X