PDA

View Full Version : Just over 2 weeks post-op

progress
08-27-2011, 09:09 PM
Hi guys,

Finally feel up to posting. I spent 2 weeks in hospital due to a sleepy bowel. I felt like I ad abdominal surgery rather than spinal surgery. I looked like a puffer fish full of gas and was very nauseous. I was Nil by mouth most of my stay which made me very weak, anaemic and mucked up my electrolytes. This has been resolved and I'm now feeling pretty good. Got a great correction on my 55 deg left thoracolumbar curve, fused T9 to L3. My left side feels perfect but I get a gnawing pain in the soft tissue on my right side that use to be the concave part of my back. This is decreasing though. I went off pain meds to get my bowel right but have slowly increased again, mainly just at night. Ask any questions.
Talk soon!
Kelly
49 yrs Australia

mabeckoff
08-27-2011, 10:17 PM
Kelly,

Glad that you are home and that things are getting better

Melissa

kennedy
08-27-2011, 10:32 PM
kelly just think the hardst is over

Shari
08-27-2011, 11:11 PM
The 'puffer fish' description made me laugh. Brought back some funny memories too.

Thanks I needed a chuckle,
Shari

JenniferG
08-27-2011, 11:22 PM
Hi Kelly, glad to hear that you're home and doing well. I bet you can hardly believe it's over. Was wondering how you were doing just this morning, and was going to do a search for your email address, so I'm glad to see you posting. Take it easy, sleep, walk every day at least for a short distance, eat healthy food, sleep and walk some more. I tell this to everyone newly postop because it worked for me. It gets boring, but patience is important now, especially if you're feeling good!

golfnut
08-28-2011, 10:00 AM
Kelly,
You have the worst behind you and now you are on your way with your recovery. I liked your puffer fish description of the bloating. It's a slow process but a rewarding one as you start to see improvements each month (no matter how small).