Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stationary Bikes, Elipticals, Recumbent Bikes-when allowed??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stationary Bikes, Elipticals, Recumbent Bikes-when allowed??

I am almost 8 months post-op and doing well ( I think. ) I have been walking long distances and going to water aerobics several days a week. Our YMCA pool is going to be closed for a week so I thought I would check with Dr. Lenke's recommended physical therapist to see which would be the best: stationary bike, eliptical, or recumbent bike to replace my workouts in the water. She thought I should wait a year before using any of them. Dr. Lenke has said that it's fine and I even rode my moutain bike last week. After a squirrel ran across the street right in front of my bike, I decided to put it away until next summer. Anyway, my questions is . . . have those of you fused to the sacrum been allowed to use any of these before a year?
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Karen,
    I really can't remember. I'm guessing it was sometime around 10 months when I was cleared to go back to roller skating. I would think that the elliptical would be safe if you take it easy. It seems to me that I used a stationary bike as part of my PT at six months post-op.
    Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Karen,
      I don't often look at pictures. I don't know why??? A weird mental thing I guess I have to say I am very happy I looked at your correction. All I can say is Wow, and congratulations.

Regards,
      Shari

Comment

Karen,

I am almost 4 mos. post-op and fused to L3, not the sacrum. However, like you, I have been walking long distances (> 4 mi/day). This week, I just rec'd permission from my surgeon to use the elliptical and ride a stationery bike with the reminder to keep my back straight. Before my surgery, I was a regular elliptical user. A couple of days ago, I used the elliptical for the first time. Of course I was at the lowest level and I really had to concentrate on keeping straight and not to lean in any way. It was great though to actually feel like I was doing a workout, even though it was only 15 minutes long!
        Donna
        Female - 49 yrs old at surgery
        Surgery 5/5/11 - Dr. Bridwell, St. Louis
        Fused T3-L3
        60 degree thoracic curve corrected to 30 degrees
        Tennis player & returning to the courts!
        http://s1050.photobucket.com/profile/walkingmom1/index

Comment

Originally posted by walkingmom View Post
          Karen,

I am almost 4 mos. post-op and fused to L3, not the sacrum. However, like you, I have been walking long distances (> 4 mi/day). This week, I just rec'd permission from my surgeon to use the elliptical and ride a stationery bike with the reminder to keep my back straight. Before my surgery, I was a regular elliptical user. A couple of days ago, I used the elliptical for the first time. Of course I was at the lowest level and I really had to concentrate on keeping straight and not to lean in any way. It was great though to actually feel like I was doing a workout, even though it was only 15 minutes long!
          Donna
          Good for you

Melissa
          Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Thanks, Shari. I am pleased with my "new back." I was extremely self conscious of my rib hump as people were always standing behind me as I was bent forward teeing off when playing golf.

Donna: I was looking forward to a good workout on the elliptical, but I guess I will wait.
            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
            Rib Hump-GONE!
            Age-60 at the time of surgery
            Now 66
            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Karen,

I don't blame you at all for waiting. I plan to only do the elliptical 3x a week if that much. The weather has been so nice that I have really enjoyed the outdoor walking instead. So even at the low level that I am doing, I am just trying to strengthen my quads a little more and I most definitely don't use the arms.
              Donna
              Female - 49 yrs old at surgery
              Surgery 5/5/11 - Dr. Bridwell, St. Louis
              Fused T3-L3
              60 degree thoracic curve corrected to 30 degrees
              Tennis player & returning to the courts!
              http://s1050.photobucket.com/profile/walkingmom1/index

Comment

We had rain for a few days and I didn't get any walking done so I overdid it on the eliptical, resulting in pain down left buttock and the front of left thigh for a few days. An old, familiar, unpleasant pain I hadn't had in 2.5 years. An unpleasant reminder, as it was the first pain I'd since about 3 months post op.
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                X