PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Irene

loves to skate
08-26-2011, 02:46 PM
We are in the path of Hurricane Irene and as the rains have started here, I am feeling a lot of pain in my low back. It must be that old atmospheric pressure thing. I'm praying really hard for this storm to move out to sea.
Sally

mabeckoff
08-26-2011, 03:05 PM
Do you have to leave your home?

Be safe and I hope you feel better soon

Melissa

JenniferG
08-26-2011, 03:54 PM
We saw this on our news last night and I immediately thought of you Sally. Please take care and I hope it passes quickly.

mabeckoff
08-26-2011, 04:32 PM
Do you get hurricanes or earthquakes in Australia?

Melissa

Doreen1
08-26-2011, 04:53 PM
Praying for everyone's safety in the storm's path. We have a lot of family in NC and VA and dear friend in NYC. Keep us posted on how everything unfolds where you are located.

Warmly,
Doreen

jrnyc
08-26-2011, 05:30 PM
hi Sally
i thought of you when they showed Carolina on the news....i hope you guys are safe and come thru the storm OK...

we are in northeast CT...weather man just said Irene will be a tropical storm by the time
she gets to northern CT...hope he is right....

i was born and raised in NYC, lived there all my life til 4 years ago...i cannot believe they
are shutting the subways...first time ever outside of 9/11 that they are doing that....
shocking!

stay safe, Sally...and i hope your pain goes away soon...
jess

mabeckoff
08-26-2011, 05:50 PM
hi Sally
i thought of you when they showed Carolina on the news....i hope you guys are safe and come thru the storm OK...

we are in northeast CT...weather man just said Irene will be a tropical storm by the time
she gets to northern CT...hope he is right....

i was born and raised in NYC, lived there all my life til 4 years ago...i cannot believe they
are shutting the subways...first time ever outside of 9/11 that they are doing that....
shocking!

stay safe, Sally...and i hope your pain goes away soon...
jess

I know, Jess, I cannot believe that the subways are shutting down. Other than 9/11, they never have before
Stay safe
Melissa

JenniferG
08-26-2011, 06:29 PM
Do you get hurricanes or earthquakes in Australia?

Melissa

Hi Melissa, yes we get hurricanes, though we call them cyclones. We get them every Summer in our Northern regions. Had two nasty ones last Summer. We haven't had many earthquakes, just one severe one about a decade ago at Newcastle, N.S.W.

loves to skate
08-26-2011, 06:48 PM
Do you have to leave your home?

Be safe and I hope you feel better soon

Melissa

We were told we could evacuate but it isn't mandatory. We are not right on the coast and our house sits above the 100 year flood plain, so we are going to tough it out. Some people have evacuated our neighborhood, but many are staying. We feel that our house is very well built, so we should be OK.

Thanks everyone for your concern.

Sally

mabeckoff
08-26-2011, 06:53 PM
We were told we could evacuate but it isn't mandatory. We are not right on the coast and our house sits above the 100 year flood plain, so we are going to tough it out. Some people have evacuated our neighborhood, but many are staying. We feel that our house is very well built, so we should be OK.

Thanks everyone for your concern.

Sally

Please keep us informed about your safety and well being

Melissa

loves to skate
08-26-2011, 07:04 PM
Please keep us informed about your safety and well being

Melissa

I will. Sally

PS: Did you know you can't submit a short reply?

mabeckoff
08-26-2011, 07:13 PM
I will. Sally

PS: Did you know you can't submit a short reply?

Yes there is a requirement of a certain number of characters. What that requirement is I do not know however

Melissa

titaniumed
08-26-2011, 09:48 PM
Hi Sally

I sure hope your pain doesnít get too bad....the pressure will probably drop lower as the eye moves northward.

I figured you would be headed west.....I forgot all about hurricanes, they have been replaced by earthquakes and of course scoliosis surgeries. he he

Stay safe
Ed

jrnyc
08-26-2011, 10:51 PM
those who have always lived on the east coast never forget about hurricanes...
late summer and early fall are all about hurricanes in this part of the country....
that is why trips to the Caribbean are so very cheap from August to October...
and why east coasters know not to go to the Caribbean during those months!

hope everyone comes through Irene safe and sound....

jess

mabeckoff
08-26-2011, 11:08 PM
Now that I am in Ca, it is very strange that I am not concerned with Irene

Melissa

JenniferG
08-27-2011, 03:37 AM
Just watched our 6pm news and saw Irene from space. Are your windows boarded up Sally? Thinking of you and all in her path.

Snoopy
08-27-2011, 06:53 AM
It's been a wild weather week for the east coast. First the earthquake and now the hurricane. It'll be a week to remember!

Mary Lou

Doodles
08-27-2011, 11:10 AM
Sally--
Stay safe! Will be thinking of you and all the other East Coasters. Janet

SpineTime
08-27-2011, 07:08 PM
I hope everyone stays safe!

My husband and I are native Californians, but he just spent the last 3 weeks in New York, for work then a short family visit. He was in Manhattan when the recent earthquake hit there - ho hum, no big deal. LOL Then the last few days he was in upstate New York to visit his brother/brother's wife and kids, and he just flew home today. I was a nervous wreck, watching the news way too much. But he kept telling me they were much more inland at his brother's and would all be fine. I'll stick with earthquakes!

Lisa

debbei
08-28-2011, 09:24 AM
Let us know how you are Sally.

We seem to have made it through here in NJ, although we should still get more winds and rain this afternoon from the back side. I think we had about 10 inches of rain. We had the worst of it late last night and in the middle of the night and boy was it scary. Luckily we still have power (knock on wood) although many in my town do not. There is also a travel ban in our whole county.

Plus we had an earthquake on Tuesday. What a strange week.

My lower back feels a little weird this morning, but I thought it was becaue 12-year old daughter was squeezed in bed with us last night because she was scared.

Pooka1
08-28-2011, 09:28 AM
I hope everyone is safe. I hope Jess reports in.

I am in Raleigh. I only saw one tree down and although we didn't get that much wind or rain, our power was out about 12 hours!!! Very annoying. Worst part was one of my microswine is on meds and it warmed up a little in the fridge. I hope it is okay.

I am very grateful to be born after the discovery of electricity. :-)

Singer
08-28-2011, 10:14 AM
I also hope Sally's okay. What an unpleasant night .. multiple tornado warnings, sheets of rain and howling winds but miraculously the power stayed on. And Debbe .. our 15-year-old daughter AND the dog slept with us...!

I notice that my back always feels terrific if I'm stressed and the adrenalin's flowing...it's a natural pain-killer. No aches or pains at all. If only I could tap into that energy when things are calm!

debbei
08-28-2011, 10:45 AM
I also hope Sally's okay. What an unpleasant night .. multiple tornado warnings, sheets of rain and howling winds but miraculously the power stayed on. And Debbe .. our 15-year-old daughter AND the dog slept with us...!

I notice that my back always feels terrific if I'm stressed and the adrenalin's flowing...it's a natural pain-killer. No aches or pains at all. If only I could tap into that energy when things are calm!

HAHAHA! Well, our 90 lb chocolate lab was at the foot of the bed (on the floor) hogging the comforter. He wouldn't go outside to take care of business last night, and went about 10:00 AM this morning. I don't know how he held it! The poor guy was freaked out too.

titaniumed
08-28-2011, 01:08 PM
my microswine is on meds and it warmed up a little in the fridge.

Oh no! Poor little thing. I hear piggy withdrawl can be a trying time. :-)

I donít think the fridge is the way to go. The oven would work better. A microwave would help with core temp. 1 second? Just kidding. He he

Iím sure everyone is ok, a little wet behind the ears, but ok.
Ed

Singer
08-28-2011, 01:11 PM
Sharon, you have to share a picture of your microswine.

Pooka1
08-28-2011, 01:30 PM
Ti Ed... LOL. :-)

Chris, here is a small album with some of my pigs including Poppy, the one on meds at the moment. I have lost Prince and Ruby.

http://family.webshots.com/album/557761013hAlPCp

Sharon

mabeckoff
08-28-2011, 01:47 PM
I hope everyone is safe. I hope Jess reports in.

I am in Raleigh. I only saw one tree down and although we didn't get that much wind or rain, our power was out about 12 hours!!! Very annoying. Worst part was one of my microswine is on meds and it warmed up a little in the fridge. I hope it is okay.

I am very grateful to be born after the discovery of electricity. :-)

Sharon, I did not know that you lived in Raleigh. Before I moved to Ca , I lived in Hickory NC. Glad to hear that you are all right except for the power being out.
Hope your microswine is Ok

Melissa

mabeckoff
08-28-2011, 01:48 PM
Let us know how you are Sally.

We seem to have made it through here in NJ, although we should still get more winds and rain this afternoon from the back side. I think we had about 10 inches of rain. We had the worst of it late last night and in the middle of the night and boy was it scary. Luckily we still have power (knock on wood) although many in my town do not. There is also a travel ban in our whole county.

Plus we had an earthquake on Tuesday. What a strange week.

My lower back feels a little weird this morning, but I thought it was becaue 12-year old daughter was squeezed in bed with us last night because she was scared.

Where in Central NJ are you? I used to live in Bordentown before we moved

Melissa

Pooka1
08-28-2011, 01:55 PM
Sharon, I did not know that you lived in Raleigh. Before I moved to Ca , I lived in Hickory NC. Glad to hear that you are all right except for the power being out.
Hope your microswine is Ok

Melissa

Hey Melissa,

I knew you moved west from NC but I didn't recall you mentioned where in NC.

My Poppy will be okay. And I hope you are recovering well. Hopefully this next op will be the hot ticket and you will be done with surgery.

Sharon

bluestone
08-28-2011, 03:34 PM
I hope you dont mind me asking but is that what you call them over there? Here we call them Guinea pigs.
I have 2 myself and they make the most wonderful pet :-)

Hope all is well.X

Pooka1
08-28-2011, 04:00 PM
I hope you dont mind me asking but is that what you call them over there? Here we call them Guinea pigs.
I have 2 myself and they make the most wonderful pet :-)

Hope all is well.X

LOL. No I coined "microswine." They are guinea pigs here also. :-)

All mine are from animal shelters and rodent rescues. I just take as many as I can because the excess pig problem is off the hook at all times.

JenniferG
08-28-2011, 04:39 PM
We call them guinea pigs too.

Still waiting to hear from Sally. I guess the power is out. Hope everyone's ok and can relax now.

Singer
08-28-2011, 04:49 PM
Very cute Sharon. I actually thought you were referring to those miniature pigs that are all the rage right now.

There are lots and lots of outages in NC and I'll bet it takes a few days to get the power back on..

Pooka1
08-28-2011, 04:50 PM
We call them guinea pigs too.

Still waiting to hear from Sally. I guess the power is out. Hope everyone's ok and can relax now.

When I called about my power outage, the recording said over 217,000 folks in eastern NC had no power. They said it might take a few days to get everyone back on the grid.

jrnyc
08-28-2011, 06:47 PM
hi Sharon
forgot you are in NC...so sorry you lost power, but glad you are OK...
hope the crews get on it fast!

jess

backissues
08-28-2011, 08:36 PM
I am the REAL Irene.

I have never had a hurricane with my name before. It is really weird riding around seeing signs for "Goodnight Irene."

Sally, I was thinking of you and hope you weathered the storm ok. Please keep us informed. Also, has the pain lessened?

Western MA had lots of rain and flooding. Eastern MA, where I live, had lots of wind and rain. We lost power for about 8 hours but it is back on tonight. We have lots of branches and leaves to clean up around the house.

Hope everyone is safe.

IRENE

loves to skate
09-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Sally here reporting from storm ravaged eastern North Carolina. We are OK. Everyone in New Bern is safe but there is a lot of personal property damage from fallen trees and rising waters. Fortunate for us, we bought a piece of land that hasn't flooded in over 100 years. We sustained minor roof damage, minor damage to a porch railing and a broken picture window. Next storm, it will definitely be boarded up. Our power, phones and cell phones were out until last night. Cell phones were spotty the days following the storm. Other than that, we were pretty well prepared for a hurricane and extended electrical outage. Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers. Yes, the pain subsided when the pressure started to rise. I have never seen the barometer so low before. Take care everyone. We will be busy catching up in the next few days. We need to get some food in the house.
Sally

Doodles
09-01-2011, 01:19 PM
Sally,
So glad to hear you weathered the storm without anything too serious & that the power is back on. We were all thinking of you and all the other East Coasters. Janet

debbei
09-01-2011, 01:25 PM
Wow Sally, that must have been scary. We had some strong winds, but not that strong I guess! I'm glad to hear you report in; we were wondering about you!

jrnyc
09-01-2011, 02:15 PM
so glad you are OK, Sally...smart to check the flood history before
you bought your place!
i know how bad the damage is...southern CT is a mess...many houses crumpled under
waves, winds, or rivers...we were very lucky here...surrounding streets lost power til this
morning, but our street did not!
i feel bad for all who sustained so much damage...Vermont looks like an awful mess on TV!

jess

JenniferG
09-01-2011, 03:11 PM
Good to hear from you Sally! Glad your home wasn't too badly damaged and that your pain is easing.

backissues
09-01-2011, 08:09 PM
Glad to hear you are ok and that you are feeling better as well.

This was quite a storm on the East coast. It is always so difficult without electricity and phone service.

Take care with the clean up.

titaniumed
09-01-2011, 08:47 PM
Sally

Good to see everything is ok. Heck, you do a scoli surgery and you can handle anything.....

We figured you were out surfing....

Ed

mabeckoff
09-01-2011, 08:49 PM
Sally,

Glad that you are doing OK both with your back and the storm

Melissa

loves to skate
09-02-2011, 03:07 PM
Sally

Good to see everything is ok. Heck, you do a scoli surgery and you can handle anything.....

We figured you were out surfing....

Ed

Ed, You are so right about being able to handle anything. I did a lot of praying, not only for myself, but for people in the neighborhood and for those having surgery. Surfing - I would have been blown to New York, right up the Hudson river and beyond. Haha!