Surgery set oct 24. Stint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery set oct 24. Stint?

I just got the all clear for surgery. The bone density had improved and I am set. I guess here's where the really scary part comes in. He says he wants to have a stint put in for 6 weeks to prevent any blood clots. Is this normal? Has anyone had that done as part of the surgery?

Who is your surgeon?

Warmly,
    Doreen
    44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
    Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
    2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Dr Anthony Moreno

Comment

Originally posted by Kayde View Post
        I just got the all clear for surgery. The bone density had improved and I am set. I guess here's where the really scary part comes in. He says he wants to have a stint put in for 6 weeks to prevent any blood clots. Is this normal? Has anyone had that done as part of the surgery?
        I never heard of this. Where does he plan to implant the stint? Hopefully someone knows about this.
        Sally
        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

In the left lower groin. It acts as a filter to prevent blood clots to your heart. But I have never heard of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayde View Post
            In the left lower groin. It acts as a filter to prevent blood clots to your heart. But I have never heard of it.
            My surgeon used heparin shots to prevent clots. Don't know if they gave me any during surgery, but I don't think so since I have a copy of my surgical notes. I know I got the shots after the surgery.
            Sally
            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

I never heard of this. good luck
              Kara
              Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
              Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
              T4-L2
              Before 50T
              After 20T

Comment

Dr. Moreno does this routinely, although he's the only one I've ever heard of doing it for everyone. I've heard of other cases where a filter has been implanted because of a specific risk factor for blood clots.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...nt-blood-clots
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
                X