PDA

View Full Version : Surgery set oct 24. Stint?

Kayde
08-26-2011, 12:38 PM
I just got the all clear for surgery. The bone density had improved and I am set. I guess here's where the really scary part comes in. He says he wants to have a stint put in for 6 weeks to prevent any blood clots. Is this normal? Has anyone had that done as part of the surgery?

Doreen1
08-26-2011, 12:45 PM
Who is your surgeon?

Warmly,
Doreen

Kayde
08-26-2011, 01:07 PM
Dr Anthony Moreno

loves to skate
08-26-2011, 02:31 PM
I just got the all clear for surgery. The bone density had improved and I am set. I guess here's where the really scary part comes in. He says he wants to have a stint put in for 6 weeks to prevent any blood clots. Is this normal? Has anyone had that done as part of the surgery?

I never heard of this. Where does he plan to implant the stint? Hopefully someone knows about this.
Sally

Kayde
08-26-2011, 03:15 PM
In the left lower groin. It acts as a filter to prevent blood clots to your heart. But I have never heard of it.

loves to skate
08-26-2011, 06:52 PM
In the left lower groin. It acts as a filter to prevent blood clots to your heart. But I have never heard of it.

My surgeon used heparin shots to prevent clots. Don't know if they gave me any during surgery, but I don't think so since I have a copy of my surgical notes. I know I got the shots after the surgery.
Sally

kennedy
08-26-2011, 09:51 PM
I never heard of this. good luck

LindaRacine
08-26-2011, 10:20 PM
Dr. Moreno does this routinely, although he's the only one I've ever heard of doing it for everyone. I've heard of other cases where a filter has been implanted because of a specific risk factor for blood clots.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showthread.php?10053-Filter-to-prevent-blood-clots