Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Anyone Had These Symptoms?

Hi Everyone,

In June 2011, I noticed a constant stabbing pain in my lower right ribs which prompted me to start the ball rolling with addressing my back issues. Since then, it hurts when I breathe. Now both sides of ribs hurt REALLY bad as of just a few days ago. Back in June, doc said ribs were pressing into my pelvis (I've lost 3" in height). It also feels as if a pole has been stabbed through the middle of my chest. Laughing now hurts I'm so consumed with my pain, the steps I'm taking to get surgery, etc. I sat down and cried today and I hate for my daughter to see me like this. I've never been in this kind of pain for so long and it's getting worse. We've had to hire a house cleaner because I am unable to do any house tasks other than fold laundry. I'm really down in the dumps today. It's such an emotional rollercoaster.

Warmly,
    Doreen
    Last edited by Doreen1; 08-25-2011, 08:04 PM.
    44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
    Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
    2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Doreen,
    I'm sorry you are in so much pain. You are on an emotional rollercoaster for sure. Hopefully, tomorrow is a better day for you. I'm so glad you are going to see Dr. Lenke.
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Hi Doreen,
      the ribs on my right side are just sitting on my pelvis as well. I hadn't realized it back in January of this year but always felt a nagging kind of need to stretch it up. The past few months and more the past couple of weeks, I notice that rib pain getting worse and more frequent. Also, The upper muscular pain by rib hump makes me feel at times like my breathing is going to be affected although I don't think it is a reality at this point. My main comfort is lying down on the heating pad which I am fortunate I can generally do as necessary throughout the day. Chores are somewhat limited…just let it go.
      This is all to confirm it does happen to others although perhaps at different levels. Scoliosis seems to have individual reactions on different folks, the spine is a long trail.
      Day by day,be proactive, you are already making your moves to help yourself. Tomorrow, next week, next month are all new prospects.
      Judy
      60 years old
      double 60 degree curves
      being fused Oct 19, 2011
      T4 to sacrum
      Dr. Boachie

Comment

Doreen,

I have begun to notice pain in my sides that I'm sure is coming from my ribs moving farther and farther into places they shouldn't be.

Once upon a time I thought the pain from scoliosis was just in the back and maybe legs...I'm learning differently. I also remember when I felt good about how I looked from the front, at least, but that's all going to heck now, too, as I get more twisted and pushed forward.

I haven't been measured in about 8 or 9 months, but my lumbar curve is in the 60s and thoracic is in the high 40s, with lots of rotation and a big rib hump. Surgery comes sometime in the first half of 2012, I've finally decided.
        Stephanie, age 56
        Diagnosed age 8
        Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
        Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
        Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
        Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
        Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
        Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Comment

Doreen-

My ribs were resting on my pelvis too, and I can tell you, it can drive you crazy. I felt like I was living in a vice, with constant compression of my whole body. I compared it to when I was younger and running, and you would get a stitch in your side that felt like a sharp cramp if you ran beyond your comfort level. Eventually, that is how my body constantly felt. Then the sciatica on top of that ... I limped around, deeply pinching my side with my hand. Driving and sitting were the worst. Some days you just want to scream with the frustration of the constant, never ending feelings caused by scoliosis. Day after day after day of the same pain, never relenting. There are days where you feel like you just can't take it one more day... But you just keep putting one foot in front of the other and move forward. People out there just don't realize how frustrating and depressing it can be to just try to function and take care of every day tasks. It is hard enough as it is to work full-time, raise a family and haul the kids around, cook, clean, run errands, take care of finances, etc., even when no pain is involved. Add chronic pain and it can be unbearable some days...

Judyat60 says it well, about being proactive and taking it one day at a time. Even on my worst days, the next day would usually be better. I knew I would be in a better frame of mind. Sometimes you just go into overload and have to let it out and deal with it, then start over fresh the next day. Nothing I can say can make it better for you, but I CAN say that you aren't alone. So many of us understand where you are coming from.

I would always try to look at the bright side when I was having a down day. At least I was walking and not in a wheel chair...at least I didn't have a terminal disease.... Keep looking at the positives. We are fortunate to live in a time where surgery and other alternatives are available to us. I have been so lucky.... This is where I think Linda Racine is so right about people with substantial pain having better perceived outcomes with their surgery. I feel sooo much better than before surgery. If I wasn't feeling that pain beforehand, would I be as thrilled with the outcome? I may have felt worse off than before if I had no preoperative pain... So, looking on the bright side, you will most likely have a huge improvement with your surgery!

I hope you find some relief some day soon. Right now, you may be climbing up that steep hill on this rollercoaster ride, but some day you will be on the other side with your arms up in the air, enjoying the downhill ride!
          Jenee'-52
          Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
          Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
          I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
          9 hours
          T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
          Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
          Non-fusion
          Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Comment

Working...
          X