PDA

View Full Version : Chairs, couches and mattresses

Kayde
08-24-2011, 07:16 PM
After surgery what is the best type of chairs or couch and mattress? Is there something that is more functional than others.

LindaRacine
08-24-2011, 08:54 PM
Everyone is different, and it's hard to know what will feel good after surgery. After my initial surgeries 20 years ago, I could sit in a firm chair fairly comfortably. After my January 2011 surgeries, I was unable to sit comfortably in a firm chair for about 4 months, but I found my recliner to be very comfortable. I think your best strategy is to wait until you start your recovery to try to figure it all out.

Regards,
Linda

braceyourself
08-24-2011, 09:10 PM
Our recliner was my best friend for quite a while after surgery! We had just bought one after my grandma had a triple bypass (or something like that). It was nice because when I started feeling restless from being in one position for a while, I could just lie back without having to get up. I tried sitting on a couch, and it was really hard to get back up, but I guess it depends on how much your couch sinks in. That's about all I can say about this subject. : )

Susie*Bee
08-24-2011, 09:11 PM
I found it difficult to get up from chairs/couches/beds that were lower. The surgery left my legs pretty weak. Fortunately we had bought a new couch just before my surgery with about a 20" seat height and our bed is about that height also. That made it much easier to get seated and up and down. At the dining room table I used the "captain's chair" type chair, with the arms to it, because then you could push up and that made it much easier to get up. That is why raised toilet seats with arms are very helpful. They issued me one in the hospital.

debbei
08-25-2011, 06:50 AM
Everyone sure is different.

After my surgery, I could only sit in firm chairs with straight backs, and I'd put a pillow behind my back. If I sat in a soft type chair (or even sofa) it was HORRIBLE. You'll figure out what works best for you.

After maybe 6 months, I could sit anywhere, although I did drag a little back pillow around with me for almost a year EVERYWHERE.

Now, no back pillow is required and I can sit anywhere.