PDA

View Full Version : Prayer Request for Aug 24 Appt

Doreen1
08-22-2011, 10:32 AM
Hi Everyone,

I meet with an endocrinologist Aug 24 who will prescribe some sort of medication to increase bone density. Please pray that God provides the right medication and that my body responds positively to it.

While my physical limitations are increasing (no longer able to do household tasks, cannot lift the laundry basket, uncomfortable riding in car, ribs continue to compress into lungs and pelvis, etc.), I do have some great improvements such as increasing my yoga stretches, remain diligent to daily exercises, and my growing faith in God's plan for my journey. Jeremy (hubby) and Lizzie (daughter) have been extremely helpful. Lizzie learned how to hook me up to the tens unit.

We did a weekend yard project and I felt kind of useless just standing there watching Jeremy and Lizzie do all the work. I was a productive team member by fetching glasses of water! Jeremy took a shovel and was stabbing it into a bag of mulch to split it open. Lizzie said, "Hey Mom, is that what your surgeon is going to do to you?" We all laughed and I said, "Hopefully, he won't use a shovel." It felt really good to laugh. :)

Warmly,
Doreen

braceyourself
08-22-2011, 03:25 PM
I hope everything goes well, so you can get all this behind you! Praying for you and your appointment!

kennedy
08-22-2011, 03:44 PM
good luck on the 24th

bamboo
08-22-2011, 04:54 PM
Good luck, Doreen, I will be thinking to you on wednesday! Hope there will be a solution!

peachrush7
08-22-2011, 05:17 PM
just said a prayer for you, and will continue to keep you in them! many blessings,

loves to skate
08-23-2011, 09:24 AM
Doreen,
This truly is a journey for you and God will see you through it all. I pray that the Doctor will find the best medication for you and that your body responds. I am curious. Does the tens unit actually help with your pain?
Sally

patty22
08-23-2011, 09:27 AM
my thoughts and prayers are with you!

Doreen1
08-23-2011, 09:51 AM
Thank you so much for keeping me in your prayers, everyone.

Sally, the tens unit does help me with my pain, but it is short-lived relief. When I'm using the tens, I lay on a moist heating pad because that is what they do at PT.

Warmly,
Doreen

backissues
08-23-2011, 05:47 PM
You are in my thoughts and prayers.

We'll all think positive thoughts and send you positive vibes.

jeneemohler
08-23-2011, 08:00 PM
Best of luck to you!!!! I will be thinking of you tomorrow...

Kayde
08-23-2011, 10:24 PM
We have you on our prayer list. I will be thinking of you tomorrow. All things will work for your good and when you get the peace you know it's the right direction.

Shari
08-24-2011, 12:03 AM
You will be in my thoughts and prayers as well!!!

Shari

Doreen1
08-24-2011, 11:35 AM
Thank you so very much for the prayers! I had a great meeting with the endocrinologist today. He said I am very healthy but have a bad gene which caused the degenerative issue in a few of my disks. He explained that my bone density is completely normal except for the few disks in my lumbar area. I have a plan A and two Plan B's.

Plan A: Doc prescribed Forteo; however, we do not know if my insurance will pay for it or not. If it is not covered, the monthly cost is $1k and the full treatment cycle is 24 months (daily injections for 2 years). Doc said sometimes the insurance companies only approve one month. Doc also said if coverage is denied he will fight the insurance company on my behalf. He said that since I am .01 less than the osteoporosis range, the insurance company might try to deny it. He explained that if that happens, he will show them a breakdown of each disk to show that I have a couple of disks that are well into the osteoporosis range. The bone density results take the average of the measurements and this average measurement is where I'm .01 less than osteoporosis. I will know within 48 hours what my insurance decision is.

Plan B: If Forteo is completely denied, there are two other medications that work, but not as fast. These other medications do not require special approval like the Forteo does so they won't be denied by my insurance.

The doctor said it is really good that I'm seeing Dr. Lenke for a second opinion. He knows Dr. Lenke and Dr. Bridwell because they worked at Washington University in St. Louis for 18 years. He said I have great muscle definition and that the yoga is doing great for my body and to keep it up. I asked what happens to the new bone that forms at the end of the 2 year Forteo cycle. He it goes away very quickly but there are meds that will maintain the new bone.

Tick tock, waiting for the call from the insurance company.

Warmly,
Doreen

mabeckoff
08-24-2011, 01:18 PM
[QUOTE=Doreen1;124191]

Plan A: Doc prescribed Forteo; however, we do not know if my insurance will pay for it or not. If it is not covered, the monthly cost is $1k and the full treatment cycle is 24 months (daily injections for 2 years). Doc said sometimes the insurance companies only approve one month. Doc also said if coverage is denied he will fight the insurance company on my behalf. He said that since I am .01 less than the osteoporosis range, the insurance company might try to deny it. He explained that if that happens, he will show them a breakdown of each disk to show that I have a couple of disks that are well into the osteoporosis range. The bone density results take the average of the measurements and this average measurement is where I'm .01 less than osteoporosis. I will know within 48 hours what my insurance decision is.

I have a question. If Forteo is approved , will you have to wait 24 months for surgery?

Melissa

Doreen1
08-24-2011, 01:29 PM
Great question, Melissa. No, I do not have to wait until the end of the 2 year Forteo cycle for surgery. If Dr. Lenke is comfortable with my condition when we meet next month, and if I am on some sort of bone med, he may decide to do surgery sooner than later. Endocrinologist said if surgery is scheduled during a bone med cycle, I might have to temporarily postpone injections (or pills) right before the surgery.

How are you feeling? I was happy to read about your earring blog.

Warmly,
Doreen

mabeckoff
08-24-2011, 03:19 PM
How are you feeling? I was happy to read about your earring blog.

Doreen[/QUOTE]

Thanks Doreen for asking about me. I am doing OK. I am having some pain in my neck and lower spine as well as pain from my swollen legs. I am also very nervous about my upcoming anterior surgery

Melissa

debbei
08-25-2011, 06:33 AM
Thank you so very much for the prayers! I had a great meeting with the endocrinologist today. He said I am very healthy but have a bad gene which caused the degenerative issue in a few of my disks. He explained that my bone density is completely normal except for the few disks in my lumbar area. I have a plan A and two Plan B's.

Plan B: If Forteo is completely denied, there are two other medications that work, but not as fast. These other medications do not require special approval like the Forteo does so they won't be denied by my insurance.

The doctor said it is really good that I'm seeing Dr. Lenke for a second opinion. He knows Dr. Lenke and Dr. Bridwell because they worked at Washington University in St. Louis for 18 years. He said I have great muscle definition and that the yoga is doing great for my body and to keep it up. I asked what happens to the new bone that forms at the end of the 2 year Forteo cycle. He it goes away very quickly but there are meds that will maintain the new bone.

Tick tock, waiting for the call from the insurance company.

Warmly,
Doreen

If the insurance denies the good drug, is there a way that the drug company can help offset the costs? It's worth a shot, don't you think?

debbei
08-25-2011, 06:37 AM
check this out:

http://www.forteohcp.com/Pages/forteo-connect.aspx

Doreen1
08-25-2011, 02:42 PM
Thank you for the link, Debbie, unfortunately, I don't qualify for any of their programs on the link due to income.

I couldn't wait anymore so I called the special pharmacy that is required by my insurance company to get Forteo. It seems some folks dropped the ball in my doctor's office because there is missing information that the pharmacy needs in order to move forward. It will be a while before I know anything, could be a few weeks. *sigh*

Warmly,
Doreen

peachrush7
08-27-2011, 11:33 AM
any word yet? I keep checking on your posts, I really hope you get approved!

It amazes me how expensive these drugs are...it always seems the things that can help us the most are the ones that cost SOOO much. And insurance companies don't seem to get how important prevention is. My 2 long-term asthma meds keep me from needing to go to the hospital...but they are not covered by my insurance. If I go to the hospital, they have to cover that...but they won't pay for the meds that would keep me out of it. It doesn't make sense. If your insurance would cover this medicine, and allow you to have this surgery, it would likely keep you from having much worse, and much more costly problems and hospital bills in the future...but they probably won't see it that way. I like the way your dr wants to fight for you. That's a great dr, I love it when they understand that if they don't get involved, you won't get the treatment you need. Hope they get it sorted out soon!

Anyway...you're in my prayers!

Doreen1
08-27-2011, 07:05 PM
Hi Rebecca,

I just received a voicemail today from the insurance company saying they approved the Forteo!! Praise God! I hope to have it delivered Tuesday.

For those who are/were on Forteo and have traveled by air, how do you handle the security check with the Forteo since it needs to be constantly refrigerated? Did you need a letter from your doc?

Have a great weekend, Rebecca.

Warmly,
Doreen

backissues
08-28-2011, 08:52 PM
Good news about the Forteo.

My daughter travels with meds that need refrigeration. Try using frozen fruit or vegetables so it is a solid block and not liquid in any way. Use a small insulated lunch bag. By the time you get to your destination, you will have your cold med and something to eat. This works for her when she flies.

Here's hoping for great results with the new med.

Irene

peachrush7
08-29-2011, 09:40 AM
What great news!!!!! So happy for you! What an answer to prayer....now we can pray that it starts working immediately =)

Doreen1
08-29-2011, 09:57 AM
Thank you, Rebecca. I'm praying my body responds positively to Forteo.

Warmly,
Doreen

debbei
08-29-2011, 10:31 AM
GREAT News!!! I hope it does the trick!

Doreen1
08-29-2011, 10:38 AM
Good news about the Forteo.

My daughter travels with meds that need refrigeration. Try using frozen fruit or vegetables so it is a solid block and not liquid in any way. Use a small insulated lunch bag. By the time you get to your destination, you will have your cold med and something to eat. This works for her when she flies.

Here's hoping for great results with the new med.

Irene

What a great idea! There are these little GoGo Applesauce pouches that I can pop into the freezer. I'll try these when I travel to see Dr. Lenke next month.

Warmly,
Doreen

JenniferG
08-29-2011, 04:00 PM
It's great to read such good news. Best of luck with it Doreen!