Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking Suggestions for Second Opinions Philadelphia New York

Hi,
    I am getting close to my surgery decision. I saw Dr. Lonner in the spring and wasn't ready. I like him and will probably go with him, but to feel comfortable I'd like to compare his suggestions to a couple other surgeons. I was hoping to see Boachie-Adjei as he gets such high praise, but found out today that he does not take my insurance--Personal Choice Blue Cross Blue Shield of PA. I could pay out of pocket, but sadly am not a millionaire.

I was thinking of seeing Dr. David Clements. He doesn't get high praise here, but I talked to a woman who had surgery with him and was very happy.

Dr. Boachie Adjei's office recommends Todd Albert and his partner Vacarro at Rothman Insitute. I have seen a physiatrist at Rothman and feel like it's a factory, but am interested in any feedback.

I also see that Briarrose had surgery with Dr. Fras. There I hesitate because my family has had bad experiences with Lankenau.

Of course when I see Lonner, I could see Errico assuming he takes my insurance.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Much appreciated.
    Lisa
    60 degree thorocolumbar curve beginning at T12
    58 years old

Dr. Lawrence Lenke in St. Louis. I, too, am seeking a second opinion and have an appointment with Dr. Lenke in 4 weeks Because this is such a major surgery, distance is not an issue (we live in Atlanta). Logistically coordinating things may be a bit challenging, but Lenke is so highly recommended, we feel confident in our decision.

Warmly,
    Doreen
    44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
    Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
    2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

I used Dr. Neuwirth, also in NY. I am very happy with my results. I did see Dr. Boachie as a 2nd opinion (paid out of pocket), and his recommendation matched Dr. N's.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hi Lisa,

I saw Dr. Albert for a second opinion after Dr. Fras. He was in and out really quick and I didn't feel as comfortable with him as I did with Dr. Fras. My aunt had stenosis surgery with Dr. Albert several years ago. She liked the results of her surgery, but not his bedside manner. I know what you mean about Rothman feeling like a factory. I had a very bad experience there with a pain doctor about 5 years ago. The only reason I went back was for a 2nd opinion- I had no intention of having Dr. Albert do my surgery.

Dr. Fras is a great doctor and surgeon who seems to love his job and genuinely care about his patients. The second he walked in the door at Penn in 2006, I knew I wanted him to do my surgery. I'm sorry your family has had bad experiences at Lankenau. Mine went pretty well. I think I only had one bad nurse; everyone else was extremely nice and helpful.

I'd say give both doctors a shot. You can talk to Dr. Fras about your concerns with Lankenau. He may be able to do the surgery somewhere else (I believe he mentioned Penn to me before in case Lankenau was out of network or something). Feel free to send me a private message. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have.

Shell
        Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
        2003- 33 degrees
        2005- 37 degrees
        2006- 44 degrees
        May 2007- 47 degrees
        December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
        Fused T1 to L2
        Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

Dr Boachie (paid out of pocket), Neuwirth and Errico all agreed with surgical
          recommendations of Dr Lonner...as did Dr Anand in LA...
          i also liked Dr Lonner the best...though i haven't had surgery...yet...

does Dr Neuwirth take your insurance....?

jess

Comment

Thanks

Thanks to all for their suggestions and advice!
            Lisa
            60 degree thorocolumbar curve beginning at T12
            58 years old

Comment

Working...
            X