Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery on Tuesday - making last minute preparations at home

Hello,

Surgery is in two days--scheduled for August 23 at 10:00 a.m.

Called a lady who had the same surgery with the surgeon and I feel a bit better about the upcoming surgery. She was funny--she talked about how post surgery and being constipated--I guess she turned down the "softner" medicine at first as she never had problems like that before. Her words of advice: Take the softner!!! I knew that already, but it was funny as there are many posts about this topic on this forum.

On the other hand, I am a bit lactose intolerant--just give me a couple milk shakes and I think my problem would be solved. :-)

I am pretty much over my disappointment of the surgeon's prediction he will probably get me down to about a 50% curve (some bones are already fused, he doesn't want to break them). I feel his conservative approach will mean less discomfort for me and hopefully a quicker turnaround time. The lady I talked to said she was not in much pain after the surgery and the hospital staff (hospital has a dedicated spinal surgery wing) are very intune with what is needed for the surgery.

Life is an adventure--this should be an interesting one. I do have comfort in that there are many prayer chains with my name in them out there.
    Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
    Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
    Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
    Dr. Charles Edwards, II
    The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
    Before and after xrays:
    http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

I would recommend having a bottle of Magnesium Citrate just in case. Its sold over the counter and looks like a soda bottle. It’s price should be about $1.25.

Do whatever you have to do to avoid constipation.
    Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Thanks Ed! Need to go out to do a bit more shopping--will look for some.

Dr. Charles Edwards, II
      Before and after xrays:

Comment

I was thrilled with a 50% reduction in my curves. Obviously, I still have a siginificant lumbar curve, but I look and feel so much better and that horrible, aching pain is gone. My focus was on better health and quality of life rather than the cosmetic aspect. Will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers on Tues. Wishing you the very best!

Anne in PA
        Age 58
        Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
        T4 to sacrum fusion
        63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
        Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
        Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Hope that all goes well. I will keep you in my prayers

Melissa
          Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Wishing you the best possible outcome and a smooth ride through recovery. Looking forward to hearing from you or a family member after surgery!
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

good luck on tuesday.
              Kara
              Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
              Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
              T4-L2
              Before 50T
              After 20T

Comment

Thank you for the kind words and throughts/prayers for Tuesday.

I bought a bottle of Magnesium Citrate and it is in the little suitcase I am bringing with me. I'd rather consume a Wendy's Frosty instead. :-)

This morning I received an email from a friend who offered to run some errands if I needed and then proceeded to tell me how her husband had some back surgery and went on to say how his life was a living hell for fifteen days and the physical therapy was horrible--I think he had just a few bones fused--and something tells me he went to the local hospital instead of a well known spinal surgeon. It unnerved me for a bit, but have said some prayers and kept the words of Wendy, the lady I talked to who had the surgery three months ago (same hospital, same surgeon)...and I get some bravery back.

I found out the hospital will provide one grabber (I'll buy another or two when I get home), some of the other items that help you dress, a walker, etc.

My husband will login and relay the message when I emerge on the other side. I have made him promise not to take a picture of me drooling while I am on the meds and post it on Facebook.

Taking off a few hours early from work tomorrow, grab my suitcase and we will stay at a hotel across the street from the hospital overnight as I do not want to face Baltimore morning commute traffic the morning of the surgery.

Dr. Charles Edwards, II
                Before and after xrays:

Comment

Also sending good thoughts and prayers your way. You will soon be on the healing side. God Bless.
                  Sally
                  Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                  Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                  Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                  Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                  New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                  Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

You don’t need to take the Mag Citrate with you. The hospital will have everything you need....The Mag Citrate is for after you get home. You will know when to use it if need be.

My hospital didn’t want me bringing valuables down as they don’t want to be responsible for theft. Best to have your hubby bring down the things you need after you get settled into a room on the orthopedic ward. I brought a cell phone and a change of clothes.

You should have all your meds ready at home per your surgeons orders. Leave them at home.

Your going to do just fine
                    Ed
                    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Wishing you the best of luck for your surgery on Tuesday. I took titaniumed's
                      advice about having magnesium citrate on hand and found it to be a lifesaver the
                      15th day after my surgery. It's powerful stuff (sort of a "when it rains it
                      pours" type of product). The grape flavor actually tastes good, I think. The
                      past month I've cut in half the oxycodone I take, and found that eating about 8
                      prunes (really not bad, just like big juicy raisins), half a cup of Fiber One
                      original cereal (looks like hamster food but it's good mixed with whole almonds
                      and eaten dry without milk), and an apple everyday have gotten me completely
                      back to normal in that department. It helps to keep a journal recording
                      everything, too.

One more word of advice: The day after I got home I called my doctor after
                      hours because I was having miserable abdominal pain. The doctor on call advised
                      me to go from 10 mg. oxycodone every 4 hours to 5 mg. every 6 hours. It helped
                      the abdominal pain but the back pain was really bad the next couple of days
                      until I called the nurse and she said to go back up to my original dosage of
                      oxycodone. I shouldn't have waited to call. Better to have pain relief and take
                      laxatives than to be under-medicated for pain.

Wishing you all the best!

Mary
                      Age 54
                      Surgery with Dr. Boachie, 7/5/11
                      Fused T2-T12

Comment

good luck!

I wish you the best for tomorrow, be confident!
                        Bamboo

Diagnosed age 17 in 1975
                        no treatment
                        Never knew I would need any follow-up
                        Now 53 years old
                        Curves in late 2010 Lumbar 70, Thoracic 65
                        Has been fused T2 to L4 on september 22th 2011
                        Dr. Stefan Parent, Hôpital Sacré-Coeur, Montréal

Comment

Best of luck with your surgery today. I took Ed's recommendation about the Mag. Citrate and was thankful I had it at home. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.
                          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                          Rib Hump-GONE!
                          Age-60 at the time of surgery
                          Now 66
                          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

This is Dollie's husband Richard. Dollie was in surgery for nearly 8 hours. I spoke with her surgeon and he said he could not get her all the way straight, but she is much straighter than before. Dollie is doing well and I should be able to see her soon.

Dr. Charles Edwards, II
                            Before and after xrays:

Comment

Thank you for the update, Richard! Let Dollie know we are praying for her.

Warmly,
                              Doreen
                              44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
                              Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
                              2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X