Nerves regenerating/ burning sensation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nerves regenerating/ burning sensation

So I'm about three months out 8/27 will be three months. I have started to have an intense itching and burning in some areas of my back where the nerves are regenerating. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this. I'm supposed to go back to work right after labor day, but if this burning persists i'm just not sure how well i'm going to be able to deal...
    Pre-surgery 5/27/11
    Thoracic 48
    Lumbar 31
    Boston Brace from 1992-93
    Post surgery
    Thoracic less than 10
    Lumbar 0

Unfortunately, I don't have a solution, but I can tell you this is perfectly normal. It does get better over time (a long time.) I still have bouts of extreme itching. It feels better to have someone else scratch it for you, just ask my husband. LOL I think some people said ice helped, but I don't think it worked for me.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hi Carole,

Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you because I'm still pre-op and am still contemplating surgery. I just wanted to say congrats on being three months post-op! I hope you continue to improve . That's amazing you will be back to work so soon. Do you mind me asking how old you are at the time of surgery (I know very impolite question normally!). You can private msg me if you want. Take care!
      30 y.o female, very active, considering surgery
      08/03/11 - 54 degrees
      06/2004 - 33 degrees
      Don't like hospitals

Comment

Carole--
        I don't know if it helps the burning but I found Zertec, Claritin, or a generic form helped the itching a lot. It is very annoying. Hope something helps you! Janet
        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Originally posted by patty22 View Post
          Hi Carole,

Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you because I'm still pre-op and am still contemplating surgery. I just wanted to say congrats on being three months post-op! I hope you continue to improve . That's amazing you will be back to work so soon. Do you mind me asking how old you are at the time of surgery (I know very impolite question normally!). You can private msg me if you want. Take care!
          No I don't mind you asking at all. I'm 33 and in otherwise good health. I have been excersing a lot and think that has really helped me to feel much better. I seem to always feel better when I'm moving around rather than sitting still. If you have any questions feel free to pm me at anytime!
          Pre-surgery 5/27/11
          Thoracic 48
          Lumbar 31
          Post surgery
          Thoracic less than 10
          Lumbar 0

Comment

Originally posted by Doodles View Post
            Carole--
            I don't know if it helps the burning but I found Zertec, Claritin, or a generic form helped the itching a lot. It is very annoying. Hope something helps you! Janet
            Thanks Janet, I actually do take zyrtec, but for some reason it just doesn't seem to be helping. I see the Dr. next week maybe he will have some advice, in the meantime I guess I just have to deal...
            Pre-surgery 5/27/11
            Thoracic 48
            Lumbar 31
            Post surgery
            Thoracic less than 10
            Lumbar 0

Comment

Sorry that it doesn't help you. Hope your doctor has another idea that will. Janet
              Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
              Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
              Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
              Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
              T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Hi Carole,

The burning and itching is very annoying! I've been having this problem again recently and I'm over 3 years post-op. I find that ice, Ben-Gay, and Caladryl Clear lotion works the best for me. I hope you can find relief soon.

Shell
                Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
                2003- 33 degrees
                2005- 37 degrees
                2006- 44 degrees
                May 2007- 47 degrees
                December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
                Fused T1 to L2
                Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

itching /burning

The burning I had was described to me as the nerves "healing and waking up". Narcotics did not work but gabapentin did help the burning. The itch was under the skin so nothing I scratched with or applied worked. Tylenol did. The itching can come back, periodically over the post-op years, as nerve healing takes place but the burning totally went away.
                  Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                  Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Working...
                  X