injections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• injections

had another round of sacroiliac joint injections today with Dr Eisler, in northeastern CT...
    he just got back from whatever conference was in Denmark, saw Dr Lonner, Anand, Berven, etc...he said he spoke on minimally invasive approach...i do not know why Dr Eisler is not in the SRS list...i see him only for injections in lower spine right now..

i saw an older woman...much older...in the office today, walking all bent over...very very bent over...and i thought if that will be me in 10 or 20 years, i better do surgery now...i felt so bad for her!

i have changed my mind more than once about surgery to sacrum/pelvis....that is the part that scares me...and the fact that my knees have gotten bad in the last year is not helping...how would i bend from the knees with THESE knees...? i am told my torn miniscus is not bad enough for surgery....just bad enough to hurt, along with the other knee that has arthritis and cysts...

am wondering if others with bad knees manage with surgery to sacrum/pelvis...?

jess

You will have seen my earlier post Jess. Just wanted to say I hope you get plenty of relief from your most recent injections.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

jess,

Hope you get much needed relief from your injections

Melissa
      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

thanks Melissa...thanks so much...and for making the effort to write even though you are still in early recovery from your surgery...so kind of you!

i cancelled my CA trip for August 15th...too much pain to deal with to be able to take 11 hour trips each way, and 2 plane changes each trip!

feel better every day!
        jess

Comment

i just got SI joint injections....we just did left side, as pain was bad...
          apparently, left SI joint is rotated, sticking out, and very near sciatic nerve...
          he put extra novocaine in when i requested it and extra steroid, as i didnt get
          a lot of relief last time, but the first time i had SI shots it worked great....
          today he kept saying "it's not in the joint" referring to the needle,just what i don't want to hear....
          but he finally got the needle into the left SI joint, which is narrower than the right one....
          i wanted to do right side also, which is way better and not rotated, laying flat, but
          i just couldn't take anymore today, as i have a bad cold and sore throat and am
          not up to what i usually can handle....they can fit me in for it next week...

this doc didn't order enough X ray views going down pelvis so i asked him to
          order more...i will get those done as soon as orders are called in to radiology....

i am gonna rest, as this cold has a hold of me....
          no wonder...it went down to 8 degrees lat nite, & with wind chill it was minus 2 degrees!
          a few days ago it was 40 degrees at nite! no wonder the sickness!

jess

Comment

Snuggle up and rest Jess. I hope this latest injection gives you much relief.
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Jess,

I hope that shot works. Take care of yourself.

You seem to be one of the few/only people getting those shots so I bet many people want to know what happens this round.

Sharon
              Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
              Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

thanks, guys...

i am sore from the needle being poked around to find the joint...
                ...i could tell they put a lot more fluid in than last time...
                the awful ache in my hips is gone from the left side, so i think the shots are
                helping...question is how long this time will it last...

jess

Comment

Hi Jess...

If you're not doing specific piriformis exercises every day, I'd encourage you to see a good physical therapist who can show you what needs to be done. Also, if you sleep on your side, be careful about keeping your knees together (as opposed to resting your top leg on the bed).

Here's a website that talks about SI joint dysfunction:

http://www.vancouverspinedoctor.com/...ysfunction.php

Regards,
                  Linda
                  Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                  Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hope you feel better. I had an injection today in my left shoulder to try to hold off the shoulder surgery. Right now it does not appear to be working as my right
                    arm and shoulder are in so much pain but hopefully I will be better in the morning
                    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

i read the link Linda so kindly provided...
                      i think the description for what happens with SI joint injections was very accurate
                      to my experience...
                      i think my second set of shots may not have worked as the doc may not have
                      gotten the steroid into the joint itself...
                      by now, the soreness of the needle poking around as he
                      looked for, and found, the joint is gone...
                      i am sure he got into the joint this time around...heard him say he did, too...
                      i have pain relief in lower spine on the side he did the SI joint shots....
                      i want to be sure none of the relief is coming from the extra novocaine he shot in...
                      am getting the other side SI joint, the much easier side, injected next Wednesday...

i also got word the correct X rays have been ordered at radiology for
                      CORRECT A/P spine and lateral views...this time it will show the full pelvis
                      and femoral heads, as should have been ordered the first time around...

as for the piriformis exercises, etc...
                      i no longer have any sciatica pain on the left side..it stopped many months ago,
                      but the pain coming from the SI joints, especially the left one, never stopped...
                      from what i read, exercises for the piriformis thing is to relieve pain connected to
                      sciatica....??
                      or i may have misunderstood the explanation...?????

jess

Comment

Jess... I think they're related, but I don't know enough about anatomy to know for certain. The exercises are unlikely to hurt, so they might be worth a try. I used to have right SIJ pain that would get really bad from time to time. I did an exercise that may be a little difficult to explain, but it worked for me most of the time. From a standing position, with toes pointing forward, I would use my thigh and butt muscles to try to turn my knee to the outside, without moving my foot.

--Linda
                        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

uh oh...
                          how does that work for knees with medial meniscus tears..?
                          or knees with cysts....trying to remember which my left knee is...
                          anytime i twist either knee in any direction it winces at me...

maybe a PT could come up with other exercises for the area....

jess

Comment

Hi Jess,

I'm glad you've noticed some pain relief already (fingers crossed that it lasts!) - sounds like an awful lot to go through on top of a nasty cold!! I don't blame you for just doing the one side. You need to nurse that cold and get strong. Thankfully, that arctic blast seems to have left the northeast!

Best,
                            mariaf305@yahoo.com
                            Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                            Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

thanks for the kind words, Maria
                              yes, i have my fingers crossed, too!
                              and Sparky is also glad that the weather broke....
                              he wants his walks back again...
                              he senses i was willing to risk pneumonia and lumbar agony for him as soon
                              as the weather broke 32 degrees!

stay warm...
                              jess

NOTE...your PM is full

Comment

Working...
                              X