PDA

View Full Version : injections

jrnyc
08-09-2011, 03:39 PM
had another round of sacroiliac joint injections today with Dr Eisler, in northeastern CT...
he just got back from whatever conference was in Denmark, saw Dr Lonner, Anand, Berven, etc...he said he spoke on minimally invasive approach...i do not know why Dr Eisler is not in the SRS list...i see him only for injections in lower spine right now..

i saw an older woman...much older...in the office today, walking all bent over...very very bent over...and i thought if that will be me in 10 or 20 years, i better do surgery now...i felt so bad for her!

i have changed my mind more than once about surgery to sacrum/pelvis....that is the part that scares me...and the fact that my knees have gotten bad in the last year is not helping...how would i bend from the knees with THESE knees...? i am told my torn miniscus is not bad enough for surgery....just bad enough to hurt, along with the other knee that has arthritis and cysts...

am wondering if others with bad knees manage with surgery to sacrum/pelvis...?

jess

JenniferG
08-09-2011, 06:24 PM
You will have seen my earlier post Jess. Just wanted to say I hope you get plenty of relief from your most recent injections.

mabeckoff
08-09-2011, 07:02 PM
jess,

Hope you get much needed relief from your injections

Melissa

jrnyc
08-09-2011, 09:39 PM
thanks Melissa...thanks so much...and for making the effort to write even though you are still in early recovery from your surgery...so kind of you!

i cancelled my CA trip for August 15th...too much pain to deal with to be able to take 11 hour trips each way, and 2 plane changes each trip!

feel better every day!
jess

jrnyc
01-04-2012, 04:15 PM
i just got SI joint injections....we just did left side, as pain was bad...
apparently, left SI joint is rotated, sticking out, and very near sciatic nerve...
he put extra novocaine in when i requested it and extra steroid, as i didnt get
a lot of relief last time, but the first time i had SI shots it worked great....
today he kept saying "it's not in the joint" referring to the needle,just what i don't want to hear....
but he finally got the needle into the left SI joint, which is narrower than the right one....
i wanted to do right side also, which is way better and not rotated, laying flat, but
i just couldn't take anymore today, as i have a bad cold and sore throat and am
not up to what i usually can handle....they can fit me in for it next week...

this doc didn't order enough X ray views going down pelvis so i asked him to
order more...i will get those done as soon as orders are called in to radiology....

i am gonna rest, as this cold has a hold of me....
no wonder...it went down to 8 degrees lat nite, & with wind chill it was minus 2 degrees!
a few days ago it was 40 degrees at nite! no wonder the sickness!

jess

JenniferG
01-04-2012, 06:27 PM
Snuggle up and rest Jess. I hope this latest injection gives you much relief.

Pooka1
01-04-2012, 07:30 PM
Jess,

I hope that shot works. Take care of yourself.

You seem to be one of the few/only people getting those shots so I bet many people want to know what happens this round.

Sharon

jrnyc
01-04-2012, 11:38 PM
thanks, guys...

i am sore from the needle being poked around to find the joint...
...i could tell they put a lot more fluid in than last time...
the awful ache in my hips is gone from the left side, so i think the shots are
helping...question is how long this time will it last...

jess

LindaRacine
01-05-2012, 12:05 AM
Hi Jess...

If you're not doing specific piriformis exercises every day, I'd encourage you to see a good physical therapist who can show you what needs to be done. Also, if you sleep on your side, be careful about keeping your knees together (as opposed to resting your top leg on the bed).

Here's a website that talks about SI joint dysfunction:

http://www.vancouverspinedoctor.com/sacroiliac-joint-dysfunction.php

Regards,
Linda

mabeckoff
01-05-2012, 12:33 AM
Hope you feel better. I had an injection today in my left shoulder to try to hold off the shoulder surgery. Right now it does not appear to be working as my right
arm and shoulder are in so much pain but hopefully I will be better in the morning

jrnyc
01-05-2012, 05:18 PM
i read the link Linda so kindly provided...
i think the description for what happens with SI joint injections was very accurate
to my experience...
i think my second set of shots may not have worked as the doc may not have
gotten the steroid into the joint itself...
by now, the soreness of the needle poking around as he
looked for, and found, the joint is gone...
i am sure he got into the joint this time around...heard him say he did, too...
i have pain relief in lower spine on the side he did the SI joint shots....
i want to be sure none of the relief is coming from the extra novocaine he shot in...
am getting the other side SI joint, the much easier side, injected next Wednesday...

i also got word the correct X rays have been ordered at radiology for
CORRECT A/P spine and lateral views...this time it will show the full pelvis
and femoral heads, as should have been ordered the first time around...

as for the piriformis exercises, etc...
i no longer have any sciatica pain on the left side..it stopped many months ago,
but the pain coming from the SI joints, especially the left one, never stopped...
from what i read, exercises for the piriformis thing is to relieve pain connected to
sciatica....??
or i may have misunderstood the explanation...?????

jess

LindaRacine
01-05-2012, 05:37 PM
Jess... I think they're related, but I don't know enough about anatomy to know for certain. The exercises are unlikely to hurt, so they might be worth a try. I used to have right SIJ pain that would get really bad from time to time. I did an exercise that may be a little difficult to explain, but it worked for me most of the time. From a standing position, with toes pointing forward, I would use my thigh and butt muscles to try to turn my knee to the outside, without moving my foot.

--Linda

jrnyc
01-05-2012, 05:40 PM
uh oh...
how does that work for knees with medial meniscus tears..?
or knees with cysts....trying to remember which my left knee is...
anytime i twist either knee in any direction it winces at me...

maybe a PT could come up with other exercises for the area....

jess

mariaf
01-05-2012, 11:40 PM
Hi Jess,

I'm glad you've noticed some pain relief already (fingers crossed that it lasts!) - sounds like an awful lot to go through on top of a nasty cold!! I don't blame you for just doing the one side. You need to nurse that cold and get strong. Thankfully, that arctic blast seems to have left the northeast!

Best,

jrnyc
01-05-2012, 11:44 PM
thanks for the kind words, Maria
yes, i have my fingers crossed, too!
and Sparky is also glad that the weather broke....
he wants his walks back again...
he senses i was willing to risk pneumonia and lumbar agony for him as soon
as the weather broke 32 degrees!

stay warm...
jess

NOTE...your PM is full

LindaRacine
01-06-2012, 12:01 AM
uh oh...
how does that work for knees with medial meniscus tears..?
or knees with cysts....trying to remember which my left knee is...
anytime i twist either knee in any direction it winces at me...

maybe a PT could come up with other exercises for the area....

jess

Not sure. It definitely puts stress on the knee.

jrnyc
02-25-2012, 10:20 PM
has anyone had a side effect from steroid injections of low cortisol in
their blood?
i got lab results back....done twice to be sure...very very low cortisol
levels....
wondering if anyone suspects they had same result...caused by steroid
shots....?????

jess

mabeckoff
02-26-2012, 12:36 AM
their blood?
levels....
shots....?????

jess

I have not had that problem Jess but I do have a friend who had many injections over a period of years and she now has a disease called Addisions. Her adrenal glands no longer provide cortisol .

jrnyc
02-26-2012, 05:27 AM
hi Melissa
thanks for the info...
my GP, hormone doctor, and doc who does the SI joint shots all said they
thought it wasn't from the shots, because the shots go straight into the joints...
but you are not the first person to tell me the cause of low cortisol
could be coming from steroid injections...
am being sent to endocrinologist after i see my GP Monday...
and....i guess i'll have to stop my SI joint shots for a while at least....
it is just that the pain in hips and lower spine gets so bad, i cannot walk a block!

jess

mabeckoff
02-26-2012, 01:30 PM
hi Melissa
thanks for the info...
my GP, hormone doctor, and doc who does the SI joint shots all said they
thought it wasn't from the shots, because the shots go straight into the joints...
but you are not the first person to tell me the cause of low cortisol
could be coming from steroid injections...
am being sent to endocrinologist after i see my GP Monday...
and....i guess i'll have to stop my SI joint shots for a while at least....
it is just that the pain in hips and lower spine gets so bad, i cannot walk a block!

jess

Good luck.Hope you find some answers

jrnyc
02-26-2012, 06:30 PM
Melissa, i hope the pain doc you see tomorrow has some answers for you
as well....they have lots of things in their arsenal to address pain...
i hope they figure it out quickly for you....
you have suffered far too long!

my appointment tomorrow is at 3 pm east coast time...
i'll be thinking of you while i wait for my GP

jess

mabeckoff
02-26-2012, 10:19 PM
Melissa, i hope the pain doc you see tomorrow has some answers for you
as well....they have lots of things in their arsenal to address pain...
i hope they figure it out quickly for you....
you have suffered far too long!

my appointment tomorrow is at 3 pm east coast time...
i'll be thinking of you while i wait for my GP

jess

Jess, My appt is at 3pm PT and yours is at 3pm ET. only 3 hours apart. Thanks Jess I 'll be thinking of you as well

jrnyc
02-27-2012, 09:42 AM
Melissa, let's compare notes later today....
i hope the pain doc gives you solutions and hope for days of
less pain!

jess

mabeckoff
02-27-2012, 11:12 AM
Melissa, let's compare notes later today....
i hope the pain doc gives you solutions and hope for days of
less pain!

jess

Oh Jess I so hope that you are right. I will post as soon as I can

jrnyc
02-27-2012, 08:28 PM
for now, the scoli surgery decision is out of my hands...
according to my GP, no major surgery with low cortifol levels...
and mine are super low...causing severe exhaustion...

i saw GP today...
she ordered more blood work, referred me to a good endocrinologist (appt March 9th)
and ordered an MRI of pituitary (March 5th)

she is betting this is from pituitary problem...
i am betting it is from steroid shots i have been getting last 9 months or so....

we shall see...
i am suspending SI joint injections for now....
they give me a lot of pain relief...but i have to find out if they are causing this problem...

wondering how you made out today, Melissa....?

jess

rohrer01
02-27-2012, 11:17 PM
Jess,
I'm sorry to hear of this new medical problem. I hope that they figure it out ASAP! I'll be thinking of you.

Rohrer01

mabeckoff
02-27-2012, 11:34 PM
Sorry to hear of your problems. Hope you get them solved

For me, today was not good. Look for my answer on the September 9th thread

jrnyc
02-27-2012, 11:56 PM
so sorry to hear it didnt go well, Melissa....

jess

loves to skate
02-28-2012, 09:47 PM
their blood?
levels....
shots....?????

jess

Jess,
I'm so sorry you are having problems with your cortisol level. I was under the impression that too many cortisone shots could cause what you are experiencing. I thought that was the reason you could only have three shots a year, at least in your spine. Cortisone from the shots does get into the blood stream according to my Ortho Doc I had back in Massachusetts. That is why I get the flushing reaction when I get a shot. At any rate, I am sure your Doctors will get to the bottom of this and get you back to normal.
Take care, Sally

rohrer01
02-28-2012, 11:05 PM
This is a problem that I was not aware of. I thought the risks of too many steroid injections were damage to the surrounding tissues. I get trigger point injections, so it concerns me a little. I think he uses triamcinolone. I'm not sure which category of steroid that falls into. I should be looking it up! It will be just aweful for you, Jess, if you have to discontinue your injections due to this complication. They have helped you so much. Hopefully your adrenal glands will kick back into gear and start producing like they should.

If you do have Addison's disease, why does this disqualify you for surgery? I know someone with Addison's and he's had at least two surgeries since his diagnosis and a bunch before. He has bad joints and the two since diagnosis are for rotator cuff repairs. Actually, he's had three, because they had to redo one shoulder.

Please keep us informed. They have actually mentioned treating my muscle dystonia at an appointment not too long ago when we were talking about botox. I don't know if they will use it for that here or not. Are you still able to get those?

Take Care,
Rohrer01

jrnyc
02-29-2012, 01:31 AM
hi rohr
i have very very low cortisol....
it is .39 and should never be less than 4.5, according to my hormone doc,
who told me this is quite serious...
my GP said that having major surgery while having very low cortisol is
"very dangerous...you could die"
you can't recover from major surgery when you start out exhausted...
no surgeon will take you...

people with Addisons Disease are treated...
perhaps, after tx brings their levels back up is when
they can have surgery...

right now, i will get the MRI (apparently to rule out possible benign
pituitary tumor), see endocrinologist, and we will see....
i am definitely suspending steroid shots for immediate and near future....
would be due for more early April....want to see if going without the shots
brings cortisol levels back up...
GP betting on some kind of pituitary problem, i'm betting on steroid shots
causing it....

i am still getting botox shots...

thanks for the kind words.....

jess

Karen Ocker
02-29-2012, 04:43 PM
I was on Advair(steroid-bronchodilator) inhaler, for one year, both medium and lower strength for reactive airway disease. When I get too many allergens I really have trouble breathing although I have never been diagnosed with asthma. I also had 3 courses of oral steroids in one year for extreme dust from construction. With my pulmonologist approval we tried reducing and tapering off the steroid inhaler. I actually felt terrible for weeks afterward with no stamina and easily became hypoglycemic as well as having palpitations. Cardiology workup negative but my cardiology understood it COULD be low cortisol based on these therapies. I started doing Buteyko as an alternative breathing program. I looked up on-line both medical and anecdotal info on this. I add that I developed a belly without gaining weight which is a characteristic developement with steroids; it went down when I came off the stuff. Also the low blood sugar abated. Steroids are very bad for bone density as well.

The scientific explanation-in layman's terms: exogenous cortisones/steroids make the adrenal glands-which produce one's own cortisol "lazy". Cortisol is needed to handle stress. If a person, with low cortisol, has a stressful event:surgery, severe illness the blood pressure can drop drastically. This can happen as long as a year after the last chronic doses but varies from person to person. When I was a practicing nurse-anesthetist the patient was queried about steroid use. Steroids were given before and during surgery to enable a steroid-history patient to withstand the surgical stress.

I was assured by a former pulmonary guy that the steroid inhaler would not go into the rest of my body. The last time I saw him I asked why do I have this belly without gaining weight? When I read the drug literature indeed steroid was found in the bloodstream. Every medication we are given must go somewhere and be excreted from the body somehow.

jrnyc
03-01-2012, 06:12 AM
thanks for the information, Karen, and for sharing your story...

strange...the last year i worked in NYC, i had a lot of stress, and very high
adrenals...Lonner is actually one of the doctors who advised me to retire!
my adrenal function was so high i tested off the charts, literally!

now it seems my adrenals aren't functioning...
my ACTH is low, too...she didn't think that would happen if it
was caused by steroids...but ACTH is connected to cortisol, so i think
it could happen with steroids as the cause of all this...
i really believed shooting steroid directly into a joint kept it out of
the blood stream....i guess it makes sense it doesn't stay there....

when i was on steroids years ago, i gained weight everywhere, not
just stomach...and i had that rounded "moon" face, too....

thanks again....
jess

Pooka1
03-06-2012, 06:09 PM
GP just called....
MRI of pituitary was normal...
so i am assuming the cortisol problem comes from steroid shots...
but will see endocrinologist Friday, see what he says....

jess

Well I just googled it! Apparently stopping the shots can result in low cortisol. But you have been getting them regularly for the last many months.

The pituitary hormone production being normal and the MRI being normal rule out that as any cause of the the low adrenal gland hormone production as I understand it.

They have to rule out the shots somehow.

My horse is on thyroxine to supplement his own hormone production because his metabolism suddenly slowed two years ago. It is not necessarily that his body doesn't make enough thyroxine but adding it to the diet in combination with a restricted calorie diet has been shown to keep weight down i horses. Anyway, I was warned that if I wanted to stop giving it to him I would have to wean him off so that his own production ramps back up.

Maybe the time between your shots is actually long enough such that your body was relying on the shots and decreased production. When the shots wear off, your own cortisol production has not rebounded. They have to rule that out I would think.

What does Sparky think? :-)

jrnyc
03-06-2012, 07:18 PM
GP just called....
MRI of pituitary was normal...
so i am assuming the cortisol problem comes from steroid shots...
but will see endocrinologist Friday, see what he says

SPARKY thinks everything is fine as long as he gets his Greenies for treats....
he went to vet yesterday...the older he gets, the more scared he is of her, a very nice lady
he shook and vibrated til we were done, even though she didnt do anything to him!

i am sure in my gut that this is from the steroid shots....the last round, the nurse said
he gave me "a ton of steroid," since the time before the shots didn't help me and i complained about it...
so he was determined the shots get into the joints this last time, and that they help relieve my pain...
he probably went overboard....
this exhaustion started about 6 months,ago, and i started the shots 9 months ago....
the exhaustion got the worst in the last 3 months, after the big dose steroid shots!!

jess

rohrer01
03-06-2012, 07:26 PM
But the docs are supposed to know what safe levels of steroid are. I know everyone reacts differently and some fall WAY out of the norm, but you'd think he would keep himself aware of this risk, especially because you are so tiny. Just a thought because my doc is VERY afraid to give too much steroid. He didn't actually tell me what the risks are except for skin dimpling (trigger point injections), but I can look it up, which I WILL do, especially after your "incident". I hope everything turns out okay.

If this IS the cause, you may be having to have surgery when you are better... :-(

JenniferG
03-06-2012, 07:33 PM
Glad the pituitary was good Jess, but is there an alternative to the steroids? So sorry to read of this extra complication.

jrnyc
03-06-2012, 07:44 PM
hey rohr and Jen G
i do not know that the pain management doctor in CT (who is also a surgeon who does scoli surgeries,
including minimally invasive) cares or worries about it....
i know from another pain doc that the limit is either 3 or 4 times a year, i forgot which it is...
i was getting the SI joint shots every 10-12 weeks, and completly forgot about the limits to
how many per year....i got such good pain relief at first, it was such an emotional as well as physical
relief...
i do not think there is any alternative to the steroid shots as far as pain relief, in my experience...

but no surgeon guarantees a patient will be without pain after surgery, though every surgeon i
consulted with said they thought i would be in less pain....
but there is no chance of having major surgery until cortisol level comes back up....
if it will....i understand there is a test they can do to see if your body will start
producing cortisol again eventually...

thanks for the concern....

jess

Pooka1
03-06-2012, 08:16 PM
.i understand there is a test they can do to see if your body will start
producing cortisol again eventually...

I think if it is due to the shots then your body will start making it again just like with my horse. Putting him on thyroxine doesn't damage his ability to produce the hormone per the vet. It ramps back up over time.

jrnyc
03-06-2012, 08:50 PM
i sure hope so, Sharon....
it is just the .39 blood test result really shocked me....when it should be at least 4.5
no wonder i have gotten more and more tired over the last 6 months, with the last
3 being dreadful....i hate feeling so tired!

i hope your horse does well....
i never like to hear about animals not being well....poor babies...
how do we make them understand what is going on....

jess...& Sparky

jrnyc
03-09-2012, 05:42 PM
well, endocrinologist thinks cortisol problem is from steroid shots...
it can take up to a year to come back, though he thinks it won't take me
that long...he ordered a bunch of blood work to be done in a month...
and he said to talk to my hormone doc in CA, as i am on a little too much
thyroid med...so i made a phone consult appt for Tuesday...
the endo guy said he could give me cortiol if need be, but he wants
to see when/if my body can fix itself...
the longer away from the shots, the better chance it can come back on it's own...
so of course, i am not going for any more shots for now!

i am still totatlly exhausted, and really doubt this will fix itself fast....
but i am due for shots in a month, so maybe after that point i will start to
feel better....i hope so!!

jess

mabeckoff
03-09-2012, 05:57 PM
Jess,

I hope things start looking up for you.

How's Sparky?

Melissa

jrnyc
03-09-2012, 07:02 PM
hi Melissa
Sparky is good, thanks...he is over his bladder infection....it took 6 weeks of antibiotic pills
for him...we finally hid them in kielbasa, since he spit them out when i tried to put them down
his throat...he loves any kind of sausage, so it was no problem for him to take the pills that
way...
i am worried about how bad my lumbar pain will get when i no longer get SI joint shots....
i would be due in a month, so i expect my lower back pain to increase....
but i cannot consider surgery with low cortisol...no energy to recover....
so i am just going to wait...
the endo guy gave me blood work orders for one month from now...he will check
cortisol, everything connected to it, thyroid, kidneys, etc etc....
for now, i just have to rest and wait out the exhaustion....
very frustrating...i always used to be a naturally hyper person....

i hope you have better luck with the next pain management doctor you see...

jess

jrnyc
04-17-2012, 06:14 PM
i am still very tired, and i dont know if my cortisol is coming back, but the pain is back....
the steroids are leaving my body...it is now over 3 months since last SI joint injections, and
i feel the lumbar pain returning big time...
i do not know what i will try...maybe nerve ablation, since no steroids are involved...
but that never helped much before...
i go for blood work next Tuesday, to see how cortisol numbers are.....

jess

rohrer01
04-17-2012, 06:36 PM
i am still very tired, and i dont know if my cortisol is coming back, but the pain is back....
the steroids are leaving my body...it is now over 3 months since last SI joint injections, and
i feel the lumbar pain returning big time...
i do not know what i will try...maybe nerve ablation, since no steroids are involved...
but that never helped much before...
i go for blood work next Tuesday, to see how cortisol numbers are.....

jess

I thought you were supposed to go for bloodwork yesterday, the 16th. Did they postpone it?
I'm sorry you are having your pain return.

I went for deep muscle "massage" today. I had lower back pain and sciatic pain down both legs last night. When I went in today, he targeted my hips to intentionally make the pain shoot down my legs. He said they were trigger points. I say he was irritating already irritated nerves. I told him that the epidurals took care of that pain and he said it didn't make sense to him since he thought it was muscular.
I don't know if I can keep this up. I know it gets worse before it gets better, but...

Back to you. Perhaps your pain management doctor will have some suggestions to help you with your pain. Have you ever thought of having an intrathecal pump? I have read somewhere that some scoli docs actually use intrathecal medications during and after surgeries to help with post-op pain. They can be removed or left in place if you have surgery. You wouldn't have to take any more oral meds, either. I certainly hope you start feeling better. I would hate to see you having to go on oral steroids. :-(

Take care,
Rohrer01

jrnyc
04-18-2012, 02:34 PM
hi rohr
i am sorry your massages aren't working out...i don't think i could bring myself to let a massage
therapist make things worse in hope of making things better eventually...

i am waiting on the blood work so i can have my bio identical hormones checked at the same time...
to do that, it has to be after the 20th of the month...i forgot about that when i planned my lab
visit...it is to kill 2 birds with one stone, so to speak....

i would not let any doctor implant anything for pain management...i had a catheter implanted in my
chest years ago, for IV antibiotics (for Lyme)...risk of infection...i think what you are talking about
would be deep under the skin, so infection risk would be minimal, but i just don't like the idea...
creeps me out for some reason...
i will probably try nerve ablation....and maybe facet block....
the NYC pain doc who gives me my oral meds does not know i had shots with CT pain doc...
and the CT guy doesn't seem to care at all about my cortisol problem...i doubt i will go back to him,
unless i believe he can do the procedures i want done better than my NY doc...

i hope you find a way to get relief....chronic pain can be so wearing...and grinding on the spirit....

jess...& Sparky

loves to skate
04-19-2012, 11:55 AM
Hi Jess,
I was thinking of you and wondering if your cortisol levels were returning to normal by now. I sure hope so. Let us know what the results are. You are so right about pain grinding on the spirit. When your cortisol levels are back up to normal, will you be considering surgery? It almost seems to be your best option. Unfortunately, scoliosis is not something that gets better on its own over time.
We just got back from a vacation in Arizona to see Sedona and the Grand Canyon, two of God's grand masterpieces, so awesome and now I have a case of shingles near my left eye that is getting more painful as the days go by. I am on medication and my eye is fine, so hopefully this pain will go away soon. Just one more pain to add to the others. Oh well.

Praying for you, Sally

Karen Ocker
04-19-2012, 06:55 PM
Jess, My fear for you is, that when you get up enough courage to go through with the surgery, your body will be very deconditioned from the pain and the lowered cortisol. Your cortisol supply is needed to deal with surgical stress,healing and immunity. If you would need surgery tomorrow, for say an appendectomy, you would need IV steroids to prevent a dangerous blood pressure drop. Adrenal recovery varies from person to person and is not predictable. It cannot be sped up with any supplements or therapies. At least that is what the scholarly literature says.

jrnyc
04-19-2012, 08:28 PM
thank you, Sally...for your concern..and i hope the case of shingles you got goes away fast....
i know it is painful, and a nuisance...hope the medicine does the job...i am glad you got to take a nice trip...it sounds
beautiful

Karen... thank you for your concerns as well....
no one would allow me to have surgery with low cortisol levels....it was .39 in easrly February...
i will have blood drawn next week, April 24th, so i can have lots of tests done at the same time....
i am hoping the level is going up, though i do not have a whole lot more energy....
just a lot more lumbar pain....
i have not made any decision about spinal surgery....i am trying to relax and take one thing
at a time....

wishing you both a happy spring....
jess...& Sparky

jrnyc
05-08-2012, 11:55 PM
finally heard from endocrinologist this morning...
my cortisol is at 2.1, up from .39
ACTH is 18, up from below 2
doctor said cortisol numbers usually lag behind ACTH numbers...
then i saw my GP for scheduled appt...she has Addison's disease herself, so knows this stuff
from her own experience....
she said i will feel crappy for a while with cortisol under 5.0, but that
it is a good sign that ACTH came up...so she is hopeful...
said i was pretty sick with previous numbers...i know it took all my energy
to lay in bed and breathe...just breathe in and out...
i feel better than that point, but still quite tired...
also...i noticed i do not heal well, and hair and nails seem to grow slowly...
i asked GP...she said i am right, it is not my imagination...all those things
are true with low cortisol...

jess...& Sparky

mabeckoff
05-09-2012, 12:03 AM
Jess,

I hope you start to feel better soon

Melissa

rohrer01
05-09-2012, 12:19 AM
Jess, I'm really happy for you. That's great news! I really didn't expect them to recover as much as they did for some reason. By the next time you have it checked, it may well be in the normal range again. We can always be hopeful. This is exactly what my docs are afraid of for me.

As I told you in PM, I fell again today. I'm going to try to tough it out until my Botox appt. I've had a LOT of steroids in different forms lately AND if it turns out that my GI problems are something like colitis, chron's, or the lot, short term steroids are the treatment for that. I explained to the gastroenterologist my concerns about steroids just to make sure everyone is on the same page.

I wish you all the best and am very hopeful that you will completely recover from this setback. Just take extra good care of yourself so you don't need any kind of surgery until you are well.

((((HUGS))))
Rohrer01

jrnyc
05-09-2012, 12:27 AM
dear Melissa and rohr...
thank you both so much for your kind words...
i am glad things are going in the right direction, and hope time will be the answer, without
needs for any meds...

rohr, i am worried and wonder if, after all the steroids shots, that you need a cortisol check...?
are you sure you are not falling from getting a little dizzy...it can happen with low cortisol....
i know other things could cause you to fall...but it takes a blood test, results can be fast....
mine were slow due to doctor being busy...but you could know in a day or two....
please think about it...you do not need any more falls....
and i wonder how tired you are....?
just concerned...

jess...& Sparky

LindaRacine
05-09-2012, 12:38 AM
Keeping my fingers crossed that things keep going in the right direction Jess.

loves to skate
05-09-2012, 02:49 AM
Dear Jess,
I'm so glad that your Cortisol levels are moving in the right direction. I can't imagine how awful you must feel. In recovering from the shingles, I have had a couple of days where I couldn't fight my way out of a paper bag. I surely hope your energy level starts to improve very soon.
I'm having one of those night where I can't sleep and laying in bed, the restless leg syndrome started up, so here I am at the computer trying to keep my eyes open.
Take care, Sally

JenniferG
05-09-2012, 03:54 AM
Hope your body can keep up the momentum Jess and you're feeling better very soon.

susancook
05-09-2012, 04:28 AM
Dear Jess,
I'm so glad that your Cortisol levels are moving in the right direction. I can't imagine how awful you must feel. In recovering from the shingles, I have had a couple of days where I couldn't fight my way out of a paper bag. I surely hope your energy level starts to improve very soon.
I'm having one of those night where I can't sleep and laying in bed, the restless leg syndrome started up, so here I am at the computer trying to keep my eyes open.
Take care, Sally

Just a side Sally, did you have the shingles vaccine? If you didn't I believe that you can still have it even if you have had shingles. Sorry about the shingles. That is misarable! I had a very mild case, but caught it very early since I knew what it was and started medication immediately upon the first sign of the tingling.
Susan

jrnyc
05-09-2012, 01:25 PM
Linda, Sally, Jenn...thank you all so much for the kind words and thoughts...
i am still really tired, but the overwhelming exhaustion that i first felt when
my cortisol was at .39 has lifted somewhat...it was as awful as you said, Sally...
and i know shingles is terrible...years ago, my mother had it...really bad to go thru...
i hope you feel better every day....

jess...& Sparky

loves to skate
05-09-2012, 02:55 PM
Just a side Sally, did you have the shingles vaccine? If you didn't I believe that you can still have it even if you have had shingles. Sorry about the shingles. That is misarable! I had a very mild case, but caught it very early since I knew what it was and started medication immediately upon the first sign of the tingling.
Susan

Yes, Susan, I had the vaccine pretty close to when it became available (about 5 years ago?), so I had a very mild case and I too caught it very early on. Actually I thought I had poison ivy and as good luck would have it, I had an appointment with my Dermatologist the day after the blisters appeared. He knew right away and got me on medication the same day and made me get an appointment with my Ophthalmologist the same day. The blisters were scabbed over in one week and it took me another week to recover with no residual pain. I have heard of so many people who got the shingles and were young. Now the vaccine is available to people aged 50 and over, I believe. Thanks for asking.

Feel better Jess, Sally

Karen Ocker
05-10-2012, 06:28 PM
The vaccine is covered under the Affordable care Act/those on Medicare have price reductions using Medicare Part D. The vaccine is expensive.

jrnyc
05-28-2012, 10:35 PM
have blood work orders from endocrinologist for mid June...
i am still exhausted...don't feel any different since last blood work, when cortisol was 2.1
they tell me the ACTH coming back is a good sign...but i am still exhausted....
also, one doesn't heal well like this, and nails and hair grow slower...

not impressed with endocrinologist...he actually suggested putting me on prednisone
if i want dental surgery (have to put a hold on implant surgery for now) or spinal
surgery....i could not believe my ears...
what surgeon of any quality would operate on a woman with such low cortisol that she
needs prednisone to get thru surgery and healing...answer is no good spinal surgen would do that!
as if i would expect surgery under those conditions to work anyway...
awful suggestion...could not even believe he said it...
and he is supposed to be tops in his field...
i doubt i'll be his patient much longer...he is only good for
blood work orders...

jess...& Sparky

mabeckoff
05-28-2012, 11:07 PM
have blood work orders from endocrinologist for mid June...
i am still exhausted...don't feel any different since last blood work, when cortisol was 2.1
they tell me the ACTH coming back is a good sign...but i am still exhausted....
also, one doesn't heal well like this, and nails and hair grow slower...

not impressed with endocrinologist...he actually suggested putting me on prednisone
if i want dental surgery (have to put a hold on implant surgery for now) or spinal
surgery....i could not believe my ears...
what surgeon of any quality would operate on a woman with such low cortisol that she
needs prednisone to get thru surgery and healing...answer is no good spinal surgen would do that!
as if i would expect surgery under those conditions to work anyway...
awful suggestion...could not even believe he said it...
and he is supposed to be tops in his field...
i doubt i'll be his patient much longer...he is only good for
blood work orders...

jess...& Sparky

That is too bad.

rohrer01
05-29-2012, 12:09 AM
I could understand if you needed an EMERGENCY surgery, giving you the steroids. But for ELECTIVE surgery? I agree with you, Jess. I can't imagine any competent surgeon agreeing to operate with such low cortisol levels. Hang in there, I'm sure they'll be up and you will be feeling better. I hope sooner than later. ((((HUGS))))

jrnyc
06-29-2012, 02:52 PM
the good news is that my cortisol is up to
low normal of 12.01...my hormone doc wants to
see it at 15, but i am pleased it is going in the right
direction...i kinda figured, cause my hair is growing
at a more normal rate...

the bad news is my baby Maltese puppy is very sick...
he was seen Monday and found to maybe have a
cyst, and scheduled for another ultrasound in a week, with specialist.....but he got so much worse since then, i rushed
him to vet today...his regular vet is off...
he has bad UTI again...swollen prostate, he couldn[t
pee...anyway, long story short, he was catheterized,
given antibiotics, anti inflammatory shot, and will see his
regular vet tomorrow...
other wise, he was going to have to stay at the hospital....
as it is, if he can't pee tonite, i have to rush him to
emergency...

i can handle my having anything...but not him..
i waited years to get this puppy...he is my therapy
buddy...he may need surgery....i will do whatever...
he has to be OK...he is a little angel baby...

jess

mabeckoff
06-29-2012, 02:55 PM
the good news is that my cortisol is up to
low normal of 12.01...my hormone doc wants to
see it at 15, but i am pleased it is going in the right
direction...i kinda figured, cause my hair is growing
at a more normal rate...

the bad news is my baby Maltese puppy is very sick...
he was seen Monday and found to maybe have a
cyst, and scheduled for another ultrasound in a week, with specialist.....but he got so much worse since then, i rushed
him to vet today...his regular vet is off...
he has bad UTI again...swollen prostate, he couldn[t
pee...anyway, long story short, he was catheterized,
given antibiotics, anti inflammatory shot, and will see his
regular vet tomorrow...
other wise, he was going to have to stay at the hospital....
as it is, if he can't pee tonite, i have to rush him to
emergency...

i can handle my having anything...but not him..
i waited years to get this puppy...he is my therapy
buddy...he may need surgery....i will do whatever...
he has to be OK...he is a little angel baby...

jess

I am glad that you are feeling better and I hope that your puppy gets better soon

mariaf
06-29-2012, 03:07 PM
SPARKY???? OH NO!!!

Me and Jackie will have our fingers/paws crossed that he is better soon - please keep me posted!!!

jrnyc
06-29-2012, 04:49 PM
thanks guys...
he wandered the house...finally let me put him
on couch for a nap....hope antibiotic has started working...

jess

mariaf
06-29-2012, 04:51 PM
Give him a hug for me (and one for Jackie)!

Pooka1
06-29-2012, 05:15 PM
thanks guys...
he wandered the house...finally let me put him
on couch for a nap....hope antibiotic has started working...

jess

Jess,

Oh I hope it kicks in soon. He's such a good little guy.

And I am so glad your cortisol rebounded. That was dicey.

Sharon

JenniferG
06-29-2012, 06:06 PM
Thinking of you and Sparky today Jess. Hope this worry for Sparky quickly turns to relief.

Great news about your cortisol. Hope it's not long before you reach 15. Are you feeling better?

rohrer01
06-29-2012, 06:29 PM
Jess,
That is GREAT news about your cortisol! I guess that actually proves that it was the steroid injections that caused the drop. That is a relief that it wasn't something metabolicly wrong with you. Maybe you can still get shots in the future, but with a LOT more caution to how much is given and how often. At least you know that if you opt for your surgery, you'll be okay. Are you feeling more energetic, yet? I'd imagine that your pain alone would zap your energy. I hope you feel better soon.

So sorry to hear about Sparky. (sad face) How old is Sparky? If he's young, why would he be having prostate trouble? That seems odd. I hope he's better soon, too!

jrnyc
06-29-2012, 07:24 PM
thanks Maria, Sharon, Jen and Rohr....
yes, i am feeling a little better, though not the energy level before
the cortisol drop happened...but i am very grateful for the improvement...

worried about pup...thanks for the kind concerns for him, too....
he is only 5, which is 33 in people years...also, vet and internet say this
is very rare for a neutered dog, which he is, and for a small breed,
which he is...i think it is from many months of UTI's, when they looked at the
wrong end of his apparatus, so to speak...but i cannot prove it...
just have to see how he makes it thru tonite, and tomorrow's appt...
also ultra sound Monday....again...
i do not care if it takes surgery...months and months of antibiotics still
allowed this to happen...
i just want him well...whatever it takes...

thanks again for the kindness and compassion.....

jess..and Sparky

Pooka1
06-29-2012, 07:48 PM
he is only 5, which is 33 in people years...

I've seen his picture... He's a toddler!!!! :-)

jrnyc
06-29-2012, 07:55 PM
thanks, Sharon....
he is my baby...a sweetie pie...
he wagged his tail at 7:30 p.m. for the first
time in 36 hours...so happy to see that tail wag!!

woof

Pooka1
06-29-2012, 08:02 PM
Jess, he does a good job!!!! So big!

Confusedmom
06-29-2012, 08:31 PM
Jess,
Glad to hear your numbers are looking better. Hope Sparky perks up soon, too!

Evelyn

mabeckoff
06-29-2012, 10:18 PM
Glad that Sparky is feeling better

jrnyc
06-30-2012, 12:03 PM
i know this is off topic....
Sparky is in vet hospital til ultra sound Monday,
possible surgery Tuesday...looks like infected prostate...
unheard of for small neutered dog, but here it is,
happening to a sweet angel....
it is strange not to have him by me when i lay
down in pain from my spine...
it is worse that you cannot make it clear to an animal
what, why, etc...and they cannot tell you what hurts...
but he needs the medical attention, and they will sedate
him to help with fear and discomfort...he gets separation
anxiety...as does his mama...obviously...

jess

Pooka1
06-30-2012, 12:06 PM
Oh wow. It sounds like they are making him as comfortable as possible.

Stay strong for both of you, Jess.

jrnyc
06-30-2012, 12:44 PM
thanks, Sharon...i will
i just wish i could make him understand...
i am glad he will be sedated...

jess

mabeckoff
06-30-2012, 01:49 PM
Hope he gets to feeling better soon

jrnyc
06-30-2012, 06:56 PM
thank you....

jess

JenniferG
06-30-2012, 07:02 PM
I've had sick kids and sick pets - the feeling's the same, almost unbearable. Thinking of you and Sparky today, Jess.

jrnyc
06-30-2012, 08:32 PM
thanks, Jen...
called and checked...he is resting OK...
girl said he is curled in "a Maltese ball, back of the
crate" but he is awake and not shaking...
they suggested we wait til tomorrow to visit...so he
stays calm...

woof

JenniferG
06-30-2012, 11:19 PM
thanks, Jen...
called and checked...he is resting OK...
girl said he is curled in "a Maltese ball, back of the
crate" but he is awake and not shaking...
they suggested we wait til tomorrow to visit...so he
stays calm...

woof

"not shaking..." That's a good sign he's more relaxed. Hope the visit tomorrow is good for you both.

mariaf
07-01-2012, 12:42 AM
Thinking of you and Sparky, Jess. I hope we hear some good news on the little guy soon!!!

jrnyc
07-01-2012, 01:18 AM
thanks, Jen and Maria...
we will know more with ultra sound Monday 9 a.m.
but it will be nice to visit with him Sunday....
i hope he doesn't get more upset when we have to leave
him again tomorrow...he stays til ultra sound...
will bring him some food, treats, toys tomorrow...

thanks for all....
jess

loves to skate
07-01-2012, 02:19 PM
Jess,
I am sorry to hear about Sparky's medical problems. I hope the Vet can cure him. I know he is such a comfort to you. Also, I was very glad to hear that your cortisol level is on the way back up and hope that you start to feel peppy real soon.
Sally

jrnyc
07-01-2012, 03:15 PM
thanks, Sally
vet checked Sparky this morning, said he is doing OK
tolerating things well....not anxious...
and we shouldn't visit, or poor pup might get excited and
then upset that we can't bring him home...so we brought his food, a toy, etc....a tech took his pix to show us...he looks sad, in
a cone...but he is in good hands...am hoping surgery Tuesday
solves the problem, and we can bring him home...

makes you realize how much easier human docs have it...
at least their patients can tell them where it hurts!!

jess

susancook
07-01-2012, 05:16 PM
Jess, So sorry! Sounds like your little guy is in good hands. I'm glad that you have his picture, but I'm sure that you have lots of great pictures of him. Do you have a stuffed dog that you can curl up with? Bummer that you can't visit him but I understand how that just gets his little butt wagging and that doesn't help his prostate any.

Maybe the vet assistant can send you an occasional extra communication via email w/ a picture of him resting? I know that you feel relieved that he is in good hands finally and that he is waiting to "go over to the other side, prostate-wise". He'll be home soon enough and you can nurse him back to health and give back to him the love that he has given to you.

It's got to be difficult. A painful prostate must hurt alot, but what do I know? Keep us posted.
Susan

mabeckoff
07-01-2012, 07:13 PM
Oh Jess, I am so sorry that Sparky has to be away from you . I do hope that he gets better real soon and can come home to you quickly

jrnyc
07-01-2012, 08:03 PM
thanks, Susan and Melissa....
it IS hard to be away from him...
but he needs the care....and we will know
tomorrow morning what vet recommends....
expecting it will be surgery....and then, hopefully, no more puppy
UTI problems!

thanks to all for the support...
woof

susancook
07-02-2012, 03:14 AM
thanks, Susan and Melissa....
it IS hard to be away from him...
but he needs the care....and we will know
tomorrow morning what vet recommends....
expecting it will be surgery....and then, hopefully, no more puppy
UTI problems!

thanks to all for the support...
woof

Hope you're keeping a diary of your life! When you get much older and look back on this time in your life, you'll marvel at your strength! Things have to get better!!! Susan

jrnyc
07-02-2012, 02:08 PM
i do not think i am any stronger than anyone else is,
but thank you for the kind words...

Sparky has surgery tomorrow for absessed prostate...
it will cost, total, around $3000
vet said they are not sure that, when Sparky was neutered,
if the place that did it, another animal hospital, may have left
a testicle inside by mistake, thinking they got both....
will find out tomorrow after surgery....
saw the pup today...so happy to see us...
ditto for us...

thanks for the kindness and support...

jess

mariaf
07-02-2012, 03:19 PM
Jess,

I had just e-mailed you (before reading this) to ask how the little guy was doing. Whatever the problem, I hope they fix it once and for all and you are able to take home a happy, healthy pup real soon!!

Woof, woof!

jrnyc
07-02-2012, 04:17 PM
thanks so much, Maria
we are hoping he will come home Wednesday, for
July 4th...nice quiet celebration!

jess

susancook
07-03-2012, 02:38 AM
I bet Sparky has been hurting for a while....so glad that he is getting his man thing fixed.
So frustrating that he couldn't tell you.
Sending good thoughts your way
He'll be home before you know it and you can be his private nurse.
You need your snuggle partner back!

Susan

mabeckoff
07-03-2012, 10:43 AM
How is Sparky doing today?Will he coming home today?

rohrer01
07-03-2012, 11:17 AM
i do not think i am any stronger than anyone else is,
but thank you for the kind words...

Sparky has surgery tomorrow for absessed prostate...
it will cost, total, around $3000
vet said they are not sure that, when Sparky was neutered,
if the place that did it, another animal hospital, may have left
a testicle inside by mistake, thinking they got both....
will find out tomorrow after surgery....
saw the pup today...so happy to see us...
ditto for us...

thanks for the kindness and support...

jess

How could they leave a testicle in there? Did they turn him to hamburger so that they were randomly grabbin hunks of tissue "thinking" it was his little manlies? Neutering is a very simple procedure and testicles are quite discernable. Maybe he was a super stud and had three! Just kidding. I hope is surgery went well and he gets better soon!

jrnyc
07-03-2012, 01:00 PM
hey susan, melissa, and rohr...
thanks so much for asking...he has surgery today...
we are waiting to hear...IF all goes well, he can
come home tomorrow...i am hoping and praying they
don't find anythng unexpected when they operate...
the vet said if there is a testicle they missed, it could
explain a lot...she did not want to say the other doctor,
at another hospital, did wrong, as they all have same
malpractice insurance, but we may see a lawyer somewhere
down the road....this poor dog has struggled with UTI's for
almost 2 years and they always came back...and testosterone
from testicle could be contributor!!

right now i just want him home and healthy...

thanks so much for caring...i will write and report how
surgery went...

jess

rohrer01
07-03-2012, 01:25 PM
...this poor dog has struggled with UTI's for
almost 2 years and they always came back...and testosterone
from testicle could be contributor!!

jess

I didn't know that testosterone could contribute to UTI's. I only know that in cats, if you get them neutered too young, then the urethra doesn't grow large enough to compensate for their bladder contents. Then any little crystals that form can clog them up causing severe problems, even death. I'm not familiar enough with dogs. We had dogs when I was a kid, but I'm more of a cat person, so had cats as an adult. The couple of dogs that I did have were female.

How are YOU feeling, besides on edge for Sparky?

jrnyc
07-03-2012, 01:41 PM
Sparky has a slight deformity to his prepeuce on
end of his "winky"
not visible unless vet shows you and explains
what size it should be....all along, she said
this was causing bacteria to stay trapped,
causing recurrence of infections...
testosterone would contribute to causing
prepeuce problem...otherwise, these kind of problems
are "unheard of in small breed, young,
neutered dogs"....no reason to suspect
prostate would be involved, either....
unless they screwed up neutering!!
still waiting to hear...surgeon had 3 surgeries
to do today, so we were told not to expect a
particular time to hear....just by end of day....

i am nervous for him...
my back hurts more, but it is prob the stress...
he is my furry child...and so sweet, small and helpless...

thanks for concern...
jess

jrnyc
07-03-2012, 04:34 PM
insurance called...of course they won't cover this..
"pre existing condition"...i figured as much...
my stupidity for not getting insurance for him the
day i brought him home...now i learned always
get pet insurance.....
surgeon called...surgery started at 4 pm...
fingers crossed...

woof

JenniferG
07-03-2012, 04:49 PM
Hope all goes well for Sparky. Thinking of you both.

mabeckoff
07-03-2012, 05:02 PM
Hope it all goes well

jrnyc
07-03-2012, 08:28 PM
thanks Melissa
GOOD NEWS...
he came out of surgery OK..
surgeon found absesses, infection on prostate,
but no "retained testicle"...
thank goodness he is fine......now i can breathe again...
we will have to ultra sound him in a few months,
make sure this doesn't happen again...
but the surgeon said "he is such a nice boy....hope
he is healthy in the future."

thanks for the support, guys...
he is my little therapy buddy...

woof

Pooka1
07-03-2012, 08:39 PM
Good news Jess!

but the surgeon said "he is such a nice boy....hope he is healthy in the future."

Yes of course he is! Sparky did a good job!

Hopefully you are now both off the endless antibiotics train.

So happy for both of you!

jrnyc
07-03-2012, 08:45 PM
thanks, Sharon...
i am happy too...
i just want him to be a happy, healthy pup...
with his usual wagg-ed-dee tail...

happy 4th...
woof

titaniumed
07-04-2012, 02:22 AM
Sparky has a slight deformity to his prepeuce on
end of his "winky"

Oh boy! You worded that nicely.....I would have failed badly with the verbiage on that one.

Nice to have our mascot fully functioning again......

Ed

rohrer01
07-04-2012, 02:57 AM
I'm glad his surgery went well. Now, hopefully you can put this all behind you with his abscesses gone. I'm sure he'll recover quickly. Rest well and I hope your pain gets a little better now that the stress is down.

jrnyc
07-04-2012, 11:25 AM
thanks, Ed and rohr...
our mascot...i love that!

our boy is coming home tonite...
everyone at vet hospital loves him, too...
they said he has been so sweet...

thank you to all who have been so understanding...
i know this forum isn't about dogs...but he is a central
part of how i feel...
i understand why dogs are used for therapy....

happy 4th to all
woof

leahdragonfly
07-04-2012, 11:41 AM
Hi Jess,

I am late catching up with this thread, and so glad to hear that Sparky is doing better and heading home soon.

Lots of dog lovers here!

Gayle, with 2 pugs, one Leonberger, (plus four cats, three guinea pigs, four parakeets, and 38 chickens)

jrnyc
07-04-2012, 12:07 PM
thanks, Gayle...
sounds like you have a fun household...
personally, to me, animal lovers are the best people...
and i am very grateful today.

woof

Pooka1
07-04-2012, 12:27 PM
Gayle, with 2 pugs, one Leonberger, (plus four cats, two guinea pigs, four parakeets, and 38 chickens)

You win. :)

I am very happy for Jess and Sparky that this long ordeal is finally over! What a long road with so many meds.

Sharon

mabeckoff
07-04-2012, 12:58 PM
Glad that all went well and that he is coming home today

JenniferG
07-04-2012, 07:54 PM
Yaaayyyy! Great news about Sparky! I hope you are feeling much better Jess.

jrnyc
07-04-2012, 09:15 PM
thanks, Jen...and thanks to all...
my boy is home...i am so glad...
vet said he was doing great...
he looks a little confused, but Tramadol is
a strong pain med...making him sleepy...
he is also on antibiotics for another 4 weeks, for
healing...
but his appetite is back and he is peeing fine...
i am so relieved...he looks so small and helpless..

from Sparky and me....thanks so much for the kind
support...
woof

Pooka1
07-04-2012, 09:17 PM
Jess, that's great to hear! Home at last and on the mend.

Tiny little guy. :-)

Sharon

mariaf
07-04-2012, 10:35 PM
Hi Jess,

That is GREAT news! I am so relieved for you and Sparky. I was out all day and just came on to check if there was news about Sparky - um, I mean, our mascot :-)

jrnyc
07-04-2012, 10:50 PM
thanks, Maria
you are so sweet...
Sparky sends you and Jackie extra woofs and hugs...

jess