Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bone Density

Hi Everyone!

I'm at the 22 day countdown for tentative surgery date of Aug 30. Surgeon is back in town this week and will hopefully confirm the Aug 30 date. My bone density results are in; however, the nurse said it is best for the surgeon to review the results with me later this week. She said the numbers can be very confusing and that it's not an easy report to read.

So, what if my results are "not so good." How does that impact surgery?

Warmly,
    Doreen
    44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
    Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
    2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Hi Doreen,
    I don't know anything about bone density & how it effects your surgery. I see your surgery is in a few days and I just wanted you to know that you will be in many of our thoughts and prayers. Pretty soon you'll be a post-oppie!

Regards,
    Shari

Comment

Thank you, Shari. The surgery was actually cancelled because of the density results, but I will meet with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis for a second opinion next month.

Warmly,
      Doreen

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011

Comment

Still want to hear about that visit. And I just read your signature statement, and the hairs stood up on my arms!!!

Shari

Comment

Originally posted by Shari View Post
          Hi Doreen,
          I don't know anything about bone density & how it effects your surgery. I see your surgery is in a few days and I just wanted you to know that you will be in many of our thoughts and prayers. Pretty soon you'll be a post-oppie!

Regards,
          Shari
          Hi Shari,
          I'm learning that if a patient has soft bones and spinal surgery needs to be done, the hardware that needs to be implanted won't have strong, solid bone to anchor into which could potentially lead to issues down the road of hardware coming loose. My endocrinologist whom I just met this week said all of my bone are very healthy and strong except for two to three disks in my lumbar. The Atlanta surgeon proposed full fusion T6 - S1. Since most of my spine is strong and healthy bone, maybe that means a few weak disks won't be an issue for Dr. Lenke to move forward with surgery?

You have no idea how badly I'm looking forward to being a post-oppie!

Warmly,
          Doreen

Comment

Doreen,
            So you got scared by someone who didn't know what he was talking about. I am glad things are looking up for you.
            Sally
            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
            X