Another question re: osteotomies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another question re: osteotomies

Does the surgeon normally go over the entire surgical process and explain exactly what will be done (osteotomies included) with you at an appointment closer to your surgery date? I have only had one initial consultation so far. I'm just wondering if it was assumed that osteotomies would be done and it was not mentioned.
    Pam, age 49
    Thoracolumbar curves 80 and 40 corrected to 20 degrees
    April 20, 2012 surgery with Dr. Lenke
    T-3 to sacrum

My surgeon didn't mention the osteotomies to me. Maybe he didn't think I'd understand-- or maybe it was a decision he made once he was in there. I really don't know. His years of experience and expertise made me trust him. I have a feeling he knew ahead of time but just didn't lay out the whole game plan to me. I'm fine with that. He was an incredible surgeon, got great correction, and my posture is perfect. And maybe once he saw I was more flexible than he thought I would be, that helped lead to doing those. I really have no idea. All I know is that he was able to get my correction to 15º and I have a really nicely curved back (as in side profile) and good posture.
    Last edited by Susie*Bee; 08-07-2011, 07:47 PM.
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

i have put off having surgery...
      but i asked the surgeon i like the most, and he told me which "otomies" and "ectomies" i will need...i think it was 2 of one kind and 3 or 4 of another...if/when i schedule surgery, i will get that nailed down...
      i think sometimes initial consults do not go into as much detail as when they think the patient is going to go ahead and book the surgery date....

you could definitely bring up the question if you go back for another visit...

jess

Comment

At my last pre-op appt, my surgeon went over in great detail what he was going to do

Melissa
        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

I didn't want to hear it so I went for a cup of water and my husband listened to everything. I asked a few questions myself, and then directed him to make the cut straight and thin please and to be sure to get it right because "we're doing this once, got it?" Ha!
          Female, age 38
          4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
          currently 64*upper/40*lower
          Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
          now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

I was in a fog of shock when my surgeon explained these things to me. I only saw him once pre-op, the next time was in my room the day after surgery when he told me I'd had "several osteotomies." I thank them for the nice lordosis in my back which had all but disappeared with the worsening scoli. And I believe it's thanks to them that I stand upright and don't tilt forward.
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
            X